“director, how can you live with yourself?”
Lee Tamahori, from Once Were Warriors to Die Another Day, xXx, Next.
Mathieu Kassovitz, from La Haine to Gothika, Babylon A.D
Yes, but Boll has only ever made shit, and he knows it, and he’s proud of it. Tamahori and Kassovitz are much better picks, as they’ve made brilliant films in the past, and then lost whatever talent they had and/or sold out completely.
I would have said Tamahori but since he was first out of the gait I’ll say…
Dominic Sena, from Kalifornia to Swordfish, Gone in Sixty Seconds
Philip Kaufman, from Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Wanders, Invasion of the Body Snatchers to Twisted.
David Gordon Greene is wasting his talent. And Finn Taylor, who made Dream with the Fishes, is another waste.
What about Snow Angels?
Rob Marshall. Director of CHICAGO, worst piece of shite ever deemed releasable.
Joel Schumacher. Filth-purveyor.
Zack Snyder. Director of the war-mongering Goebbelsian horror 300. Not forgiven. Not forgotten.
Clint Eastwood. Generally competent director who must, somehow, know how wildly inappropriate it is for his mostly adequate (at best) output to get such wild adoration from people who really should know better.
Matthias: I am including Snow Angels in my equation. After Geo Wash and All The Real Girls, I had hopes the he was going to be one of the next great American filmmakers, but the way his CV is coming along, I don’t see that happening.
Carlos Cuarón: Rudo y Cursi
- About David Gordon Green. uh Pineapple Express was awesome. I loved every second of it. It had massive plot holes but who cares? Stop being pretentious and criticizing people for having fun.
- Uwe Boll at least is slowly improving (Dungeon Siege the movie was watchable.) He may still suck but he might eventually make a decent film. He doesn’t care that all his movies are shitty. He likes to do it and people give him the money to do so so let him go. Don’t criticize him. Criticize his financiers.
- With Zack Snyder, you just don’t like the kind of movies he makes. Stop being pretentious and criticizing him for making movies that he himself would watch. I like those kinds of movies to so my appreciation for him will be strong if Watchmen is good. 300 doesn’t have a deeper meaning. It’s just about a bunch of dudes who saved western civilization from an invading force made incredibly over the top so it would resemble how the Greeks would tell it around a campfire.
- Clint Eastwood is just very hit or miss.
People who should be ashamed:
- Francis Ford Coppola. Lets not talk about his post Apocalypse Now output. 2 ok teen movies (The Ousiders and Rumble Fish) and a Dracula adaptation that varies schizophrenically in tone were the only watchable things has made since
- George Lucas. Star Wars prequels and Howard the Duck. Indy 4 wasn’t that bad (it only fell apart once they went into the jungle. Karen Allen coming back was dumb. There should have instead had sexual tension between Blanchett and Indy).
- Joel Schumacher. Doesn’t understand the concept of logic. Why were there nipples on the Batsuit? (he says to make Batman look like greek/roman statues but batman has absolutely no reason to look like that.) Dry ice around the Batmobile? Electric spotlights in Phantom of the Opera when a character says there was no electric lights in the opera house like 30 seconds previously? A little plastic mask that covers like a third of his face but when he takes it off his disfigurement covers over half of it? WTF is this man’s problem?
- Rob Marshall. Chicago sucked and how do you fuck up Memoirs of a Geisha? Because you are incompetent.
Daniel: I am feeling hopeful about Coppola. Sure, ‘Youth Without Youth’ wasn’t a GREAT movie, but I thought it was a very good movie. I am holding out hope that ‘Tetro’ will be good, as well.
As for the disfigurement in ‘Phantom of the Opera’, what makes it even better is the fact that he has been completely rejected by society for something that looks like a bad sunburn.
And as much as I want to get really excited about ‘Nine’ (look at that cast!), the fact that Rob Marshall is directing it has tempered my enthousiasm.
you’re right, joel schumacher
McG I don’t like him mostly because of his name.
Wim Wenders. From absolutely amazing, beautiful films like PARIS, TEXAS and WINGS OF DESIRE to absolute crap of MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL. How can this be? I keep waiting for him to do something good again, but I think he’s lost it.
david mcnally (coyote ugly and Kangaroo Jack)
What’s Spike Jonze going to do now that Charlie Kaufman has earned his director wings? He’s probably hanging out on the psych ward at Bellevue interviewing for his future screenwriter.
Peter Jackson. To go from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to King Kong?!
Justin-Doesn’t Jonze have Where the Wild Things are coming up?
Steve, does he? I’m glad he’s doing something. Is that based on the children’s book by Sendak?
Justin-It’s due out later this year.
Justin – yeah he does. It’s shaping up to be interesting at the very least.
I don’t get the Joel Schumacher comments. He made Falling Down which was okay, but beyond that he’s always been shit, and always will be shit.
That’s cool. I have to say I like Spike Jonze but I’ve always wondered how much of his inspiration was due to Kaufman.
Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, definitely.
Tamahori is just nobody and Of course McG, Boll and Schumacher, but they’re easy targets.
For me Ron Howard and Alejandro Gonzales-Inarritu, now that he’s not going to shoot Arriaga’s Screenplays like Jonze-Kaufman we’ll see he’s not really a filmmaker, Kinda like Howard with reasonable screenplays. But i can’t think of two more flat and less-inspired filmakers working today, they really have nothing to say about anything, not even about their given screenplays, and they’re even respected by a few.
I would even dare to say that there’s some honesty and inspiration in McG, Boll, and Schumacher, but are just full of incredibly bad taste.
Hey Justin, if he can make the Weapon Of Choice video clip without Kaufman, there’s still hope.
Joe Berlinger: From PARADISE LOST and BROTHER’S KEEPER to… BLAIR WITCH PROJECT 2 (!)