That would be cool.
@johnsonisjohnson: Chatting with people you don’t know is a good idea…(not being sarcastic)
I’d like to be able to search movies by year.
These are suggestions I’ve been making since I joined a couple of years ago, none of which have been implemented so far. These are small changes that I feel would make using the site a little more pleasurable (even though I know some of them might be harder to implement than it looks):
1. Free re-organization of favorites: Let us choose the order in which our favorite movies are displayed, instead of the automatic “last favorited, first shown” you have right now. That goes for favorite auteurs, cast members and lists as well. Having to remove and re-add favorites every time I want to change the order in which they are shown is really annoying.
2. Wider rating spectrum: This is a controversial one around here, but I know I’m not alone. A half-star rating system would make my ratings a lot easier and more frequent.
3. Freedom of style: Let us add our own style images or at least provide a wider variety of options to choose from. You can even have members supply the new images for you, as it was suggested in this thread.
4. Page number placement: Put page numbers at the top of pages as well, especially in forum threads. If the discussion is too long, it’s a pain in the ass having to scroll all the way down just to move on to the next, first or last page of a thread.
5. Cast members?: This might be the toughest one to change, but I’m throwing it out there. The way you have cinematographers, composers and actors all lumped together as “cast members” doesn’t feel right. A way to list our favorites separately, by occupation, would be a very nice feature. As a quick fix, you could simply change it from “favorite cast members” to “favorite cast and crew”, or something like that. Also, while we’re on the subject, when we’re dealing with actor/directors, there are times I wish I could separate those occupations when I favorite them. Take Gene Wilder, for instance. I would like to favorite him as an actor, but since he’s also a director, he goes into my favorite auteurs list instead. Since I’ve never seen any films he directed, he’s not really one of my favorite auteurs, know what I mean?
Thanks for listening to our suggestions and keep up the good work!
The rating system 1 to 5 stars is too limitative sometimes, I would love to be able to add something like 3 1/2 stars. You should definitely create the option to give something and a half stars.
I dont know if am lazy or loving that option on some sites “The Keyboard Arrows use”
for example in topics .. with 5 pages like this , pressing left/right for back/next pages
Another thing , In Favorite Films on our profiles , Maybe we can add something like “Noting/observation” , If you like to say something like your own description on a movie
“4. Page number placement: Put page numbers at the top of pages as well, especially in forum threads. If the discussion is too long, it’s a pain in the ass having to scroll all the way down just to move on to the next, first or last page of a thread.”
You can just find and change the page number in the url (e.g. http://mubi.com/topics/help-make-mubi-totally-awesome?page=5#comment_746543). Either that or just press the ‘End’ key on your keyboard.
Otherwise, I love your four other suggestions. I’d also like ‘Free re-organization of favorites’ to apply to (re-organising) cast members, directors, lists and whatnot too.
Ability to edit titles of threads we create to correct typos and errors. These title errors have happened to me and it is frustrating to think they will live on for perpetuity. I know I should be more careful, ’though to err is human, but to correct it would be divine.
First off, does this thread actually have any impact? I saw a few pages back that a moderator wrote that they were now using Get Satisfaction. Is this it? Support/MUBI/Get Satisfaction Are the suggestions there taken more seriously?
Anyways, I think at least one person has suggested it, but I also would like to be able to see the average rating for a film after I have rated it myself.
I also am pro-half star (or 10 point system), pro-sorting our watched movies, especially by rating, pro-editing thread titles, and also in favor of a search engine with more specific searches, especially for the forum (search thread title only, search specific users comments, search within a specific thread, etc.)
So I am a fan of several great lists, now is there a place to see all those at one place?
The thing that really bugs me about Mubi these days, is that I’m always being asked to link my Mubi account to my Facebook account. First of all, I’m not on Facebook, so I have nothing to link it to. Second of all, I understand that sites are trying to fix the issue of identity fragmentation on the internet, but I hate that having facebook is becoming a requirement for the internet in general. You can’t even download spotify in the US without having a facebook account.
@Filmy : if you go on your profile and look at your lists you can click "see all " . It will take you to a page with two tabs : one has all lists you’ve made and the other shows your favorites (aka the lists you became a fan of) .
@Bijoux, am an idiot, thanks for the tip, I knew the same thing existed for cast/crew but never looked at the lists page.
Why not have it as an Apple appicaltion on your iPodTouch and/or iPad?
Quick question: If there is a movie in the database that has no screenshot, how can one contact the powers that be or maybe submit a fitting image?