My Preliminary List:
1. Code Unknown (Haneke)
2. Les Glaneurs et la Glaneuse
3. Silent Light
4. Elegy of a Voyage (Sokurov)
5. Time Out (Cantet)
6. The World (Jia)
7. Mulholland Drive
9. Capturing the Friedmans
10. The Bothersome Man (Lien)
Synecdoche, New York
Éloge de l’amour
The Far Side of the Moon (Lepage)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
The Circle (Panahi)
I think this is what it has come down to.
1. Elephant (Gus Van Sant)
2. There Will Be Blood (P.T. Anderson)
3. Tropical Malady (Joe)
4. Munyurangabo (Lee Isaac Chung)
5. A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater)
6. Capturing the Friedmans (Andrew Jarecki)
7. The Fog of War (Errol Morris)
8. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu)
9. A Serious Man (Joel & Ethan Coen)
10. The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke)
Zachary, make sure to make your list here
Adam, Did you get my list?
Yes, Drew. I haven’t tallied the last few submissions but will do so shortly.
Awesome. Thank you!
(I just wanted to double check, since I noticed The Dreamers still wasn’t on the list…Viva la Bertolucci!)
One less,cause I saw “The New World” yesterday night.But,unlike Weeresethakul,this one was great.Incredibly beatiful.It will surely have a place in my list,unless I see 3-4 really great movies from this decade until March 1st(something that I doubt,very much).
Mary and Max should be in the list somewhere.
10. ADAPTATION – A truly profound process.
9. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE – dresses and wallpaper.
8. 21 GRAMS – The weight of a chocolate bar.
7. THE NEW WORLD – romance in tall grass .
6. SPIRITED AWAY – a little girl.
5. MEMENTO – A tan suit.
4. OLDBOY – little angel wings.
3. Punch-Drunk Love – The color blue.
2. Lost in Translation – Tokyo.
1. Mulholland Dr. – The City of Dreams.
well, here were my 10, for anyone interested
1.Mulholland Dr (Lynch)
2.The Name of a River (A.Singh)
3.Blissfully Yours (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
4.Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee)
6.Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)
7.The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes (Quay bros)
9.Far from Heaven (Haynes)
10.Howl’s Moving Castle (Miyazaki)
near misses: Dogville, Coraline, The New World, Regular Lovers..
Great list, Kenji. I’m especially glad to see “The Name of a River” ranked second, and as well regard “Eureka” as the best Japanese film of the decade. Unfortunately I still got quite a few films to watch, but should be able to make a list until the end of this month.
I look forward to it, Apursansar!
Adam, did you get my list? Thanks.
I did Kenny, but technically you’re supposed to create a list here and then link it to me.
My number 1 is not listed on this site: Wen Jiang’s Devils on the Doorstep.
01. Dogville (Lars Von Trier, 2003)
02. Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004)
03. The Man Who Wasn’t There (Coen Bros., 2001)
04. Brick (Rian Johnson, 2005)
05. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
06. Irreversible (Gaspar Noé, 2002)
07. I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai Ming-Liang, 2006)
08. WALL*E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
09. Mystic River (Clint Eastwood, 2003)
10. George Washington (David Gordon Green, 2000)
The 2000s is definitely a weak point in terms of number of films seen so this is more personal picks then what I actually consider most significant:
In The Mood For Love
All About Lily Chou Chou
What Time Is It There?
Less than 2 weeks to go!
My TOP 10 of 2000-2009
1. City of God
2. Whale Rider
3. Hable con ella
4. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
6. The Dreamers
7. Pan’s Labyrinth
9. Requiem for a Dream
I started counting down my list…
I’m finalizing my top 10. Damn, it isn’t easy. It really was an amazing decade for cinema.
i think i’ll pass…..i’ll probably compile a list for the 2010-2019 season, see you all there, i’ll remain as a spectator for the time being ;)
Talk to Her
No Country for Old men
The Royal Tenenbaums
Dancer in the Dark
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Figured it was about time I posted the list of voters (so far) who have taken part in the poll:
1. Roman Petrov
2. Jack Lehtonen
3. Joe Arthaus
5. User de Faux-Fuyants
6. Neil McCauley’s Cooler Brother
8. Axel Haavikko
9. Matt Riviera
10. James Wylie
12. Andhika Eka Buana
13. Ryan Borja
14. Nick Woodfine
15. Rod Lebowski
16. Ian W. Hill
17. Ellis VanDeventer
18. Joe Bowman
19. Gringo Tex
20. Jared Mobarak
21. Congealed Loaf
22. Louis Jackson
26. Umberto L.
27. Manasto Jones
28. Harry Block
31. Josef K.
32. Kyle Puetz
33. Yuki Aditya
34. Ben Brown
36. Leonardo Barrientos
39. Fin De Cinema
42. Cagatay Ulas
43. Zachary Williams
44. j. l.
45. David Block
49. Madd Scientist
50. Bryan Angarita
51. Morgen Ruff
52. Martin Ingle
53. Tim Ashoworth
54. Craig Harshaw
58. Crap Monster
59. Joshua W
61. Reini Urban
62. Tim Noble
63. Zachary Phillip Brailsford
64. Kevin Mullen
The Man Who Wasn’t There
Songs From The Second Floor
The Squid and the Whale
In the City of Sylvia
Less than a week to go…
Just finished Historias Extraordinarias and it shot straight into top5.
Last week is going to be exciting with a little Hong Sang-Soo and Jhang-Ke and Love Exposure and a few others.
how come my name’s not on the list.. I gave you my best of the decade, didn’t I? ITs there: http://www.theauteurs.com/lists/3773.Please check it out. thanks.
I was able to catch up on lots of films from the decade, thanks to the poll.
Pedro Costa may have to wait…
Historias Extraordinarias is a brilliant film.
Did you send me a PM Addiena? Either way, I’ll count your list now.
8. The Taste of Tea
7. Mind Game
6. Sånger från andra våningen
5. The Russian Ark
4. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
3. Synecdoche, New York
2. Brand Upon the Brain!
1. Cat Soup