On a lesser note, I’ve been wondering what others might think about having our avatars appear above, beneath or beside our usernames on thread posts.
I can totally get a behind a 1-7 green dots system, +1
1) The ability to use half stars
2) Stop recommending me movies that I’ve already rated
3) Use a normal HTML system on the boards
Are recommendations for the film part of MUBI separate from the forum part pf MUBI? Because I see absolutely no mention, in this thread or on the Get Satisfaction site, about adding a block/ignore feature, that allows forum users to block posts made by other users they do not care to interact with. Forum wise, I definitely see this as the most important thing that MUBI can do to improve. The lack of this function has caused problems in the past, and unresolved will probably cause problems in the future.
That said, yeah, half stars would be nice. Though that would be the same as the 10 point/star system on IMDB. However, if we are just saying what we personally want. I would like a 10 star, half star system (essentially a 20 point system). I used to see these sometimes when reading music reviews, and really liked it.
And also here’s what I posted in another, similar thread :
“Anyways, I think at least one person has suggested it, but I also would like to be able to see the average rating for a film after I have rated it myself. I also am pro-sorting our watched movies, especially by rating, pro-editing thread titles, and also in favor of a search engine with more specific searches, especially for the forum (search thread title only, search specific users comments, search within a specific thread, etc.)
Captain, there is a Block function discussion on the Get Satisfaction site, and there has been a block function instituted on the this site, it just happens to have failed miserably, all it does is make your profile private to the person whom you have blocked, it is basically useless.
@ Uli: Yeah, I am aware of the “block” function on this site, and its failings. And re-searching the Get Satisfaction site, I did find a discussion on the block function . But…
2) Nobody has posted anything in over 3 months (should I assume that this was when the “block” function we do have was implemented?). Is there another discussion/thread? If this is seriously something we want to happen, we need to continue to push for it, instead of just mildly grumbling about it every time a Dimitris/Santino/whoever else issue comes up.
Apology for Long Post
I’d like to propose Profile Threads.
Threads that you create on your profile page. That don’t necessarily show up on the forum.
This site is above all a forum site. Made for discussion of films and I think Profile Threads would encourage more discussion, especially from those that don’t usually start threads.
1) Insignificant Banter – Now a lot of people don’t mind starting completely off topic or random threads but I think a lot of people do. For example, I might want to talk about Willow’s cool outfit. But feel like this might be a little embarrassing showing up on the forum amongst more “sophisticated” shit. Thus I don’t start the thread. (This is just an example. I might very well start the Willow’s Cool Outfit" thread soon…)
2) Disappearing Thread – Unless someone posts on your thread, within a day or two it disappears into forum hell. Forgotten and abandoned. Unless someone searches (to use the above example) Willow’s Cool Threads, it is likely to be gone forever.
3) Rehashed Goods – Let’s face it, a lot of stuff has been discussed over the years. Unfortunately, you may not have been around for it all. I remember watching “Shutter Island” last year and really liking it. I was excited so I hopped on the forum to talk about it. Unfortunately I was about a year or so too late and the film had been talked the hell out of. Wasn’t like I could simply pop onto the old thread and say “Hey, Shutter Island, what’d you think?” And if I had started a new thread I’d probably be shot down. “Hey, that’s already a thread! insert link” No matter how late you see something I’m sure there’s someone else who has just watched it as well. How to find…?
Specifics – Profile Threads should probably be limited to 3 at any given time per person. We still want to encourage people to talk on the main forum so it should be limited. Once you have three you need to delete one to add another. We don’t want this to turn into Facebook.
I don’t think the block feature should carry over into the forums. If you’re going to participate in a discussion you should be open to everyone in the discussion. It’s like sitting down at a table and pretending someone isn’t there. It’s quite absurd really. If they break the rules of the forum then they’ll be gone anyway. If they are behaving then you can stand seeing their name. You don’t need to read their comments.
Home threads on the other hand would be a perfect place for a block feature. If you don’t want BLOCKEDUSER discussing When Harry Met Sally with you then that should be your call. If it’s on your Profile Page.
Cool Things You could see what your friends are in the mood to discuss. Or anyone for that matter. I think the best part is it would create a lot more topics to discuss without cluttering up the Forum Space. A lot of the time I feel like talking about something/anything but I’m either not informed on the hot topics or I haven’t seen the current film or the thread is so old I feel like I’m kicking a dead horse.
I’d like to have the ability to automatically quote posts.
@ Chad: Chad, I’m sure that you are a perfectly fine human being, but I personally disagree with every one of those suggestions, except for the first one which I don’t care about one way or another, and the last one, which I didn’t exactly understand
As far as the block function, yes, the idea of everyone sitting around and having to consider/respond to everyone’s comments on a topic sounds great, but that is only when said people are generally polite. If we were sitting down at a table and trying to have a discussion about a topic, I don’t want a person at the table screaming at me and insulting me just because they do not agree with me or understand me. Or, for that matter, I don’t want them doing the same thing to someone else. It makes things uncomfortable, and often there are people that just cannot back down from a fight, no matter how absurd that fight is, and what was once a perfectly good thread turns into a shouting/pouting match. I believe that a block function would 1) preserve the original intentions of many worthy threads, 2) keep quality discussion moving forward, and 3) assist moderators and the general mood of the forum by helping to reduce drama. And generally, no, just because they are breaking the rules of the forum does not mean that they will kicked out.
@Captain: Just to clarify IT"S ONLY ONE SUGGESTION.
Threads on your profile page. That’s it. So I’m glad you don’t disagree with it even if you don’t care.
(The numbers are reasons for adding the change; they’re not suggestions.)
Oh, and I’m flattered. I’m sure your a fine human being yourself.
Now where the hell is that block button…
“I’d like to have the ability to automatically quote posts.”
^That I can get behind.
@ Chad: Oh, i apologize. Yes, I misread your post, not realizing that the entire post was relating to your idea about individual profile threads. That makes a whole hell of a lot more sense now. Though I still believe that a block function should be made available on the forum for the reasons I stated. Anyways, yeah, sorry about that.
No problem Captain, thanks for the acknowledgement. Also, if having a block feature available makes users’ experience better then I guess that’s a good thing. I have seen many people asking for it so there are those who clearly think it would help. I’ve just never seen a need for it myself. Though I don’t often get caught up in the heated debates. No one usually has an argument against Evil Dead being the greatest film of all time.
Guys, please read my post, our feedback goes here: http://support.mubi.com/. It can be about the VOD app, the forums, film pages, whatever. I encourage you to use it! I’m going to close this thread for now but feel free to create new thread on that GetSatisfaction page by copy and pasting material from this thread.