For en bedre opplevelse på MUBI, oppdater din nettleser.

রেটিং এবং রিভিউ

1. Terry's rating of the film Manta Ray

Hypnotic and almost silent film, when music appears, it drives to a mystery forest, where dark and bright colored lights lives. Not a simple film, but it is one to remember.

2. Eric Ao's rating of the film Manta Ray

3. ejonline's rating of the film Manta Ray

This film was gripping and moving, even when I didn't understand some of the specific references to the experience of Rohingya refugees in Thailand. This is the strength of the film - it stands on its own as an evocation of multiple ways of being lost, multiple ways that people can be violent towards each other and what healing might look like. The cinematography was incredible tactile, while still being dreamy.

4. Nicole's rating of the film Manta Ray

i will never look at christmas lights on a man the same way again. Also I feel like Weerasethakul would be proud, with the ferris wheel meditation, two different men bonding and all.

5. Paul Mirek's rating of the film Manta Ray

I don't know that I could communicate clearly even half of what's going on in this film, but I feel confident that I'm grasping what it's aiming for on a deeper, indescribable level, which is one of the hallmarks of some of my favorite pieces of art. The only thing I can add is that elements reminded me of the similarly enigmatic THE RED TURTLE: the exquisite humanism, the powerful and poetic depictions of nature...

6. jurism's rating of the film Manta Ray

7. Saikat Banerjee's rating of the film Manta Ray

It's So Magnificent & Crafted Visually. Story's Sorta Absurd Yet Fathomable Tho.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Manta Ray

A wonderfully enigmatic film from writer-director Phuttiphong Aroonoheng, this interesting tale of a refugee in Thailand explores identity, friendship, and responsibility. Impressive stuff, although some may be put off by the slow pace.

9. Pok's rating of the film Manta Ray

I need more knowledge about Thailand to fully interpret and appreciate it. Dedicated to the Rohingya, an ethnic group that's apparently a marginalized minority. Its topics on borrowed identity and a friendship first given willingly but then withdrawn give me the impression of touching on shared guilt, or a protest against its lack thereof. Atmospheric and slow, interesting but gave me many doubts, couldn't enjoy it.

10. Artyom Yakovlev's rating of the film Manta Ray

I’m giving this film 2.5 stars because of its outstanding soundtrack, several visually stunning sequences of nature, and surrealistic imagery created with fairy lights. The screenplay, on the other hand, is disastrous. The film is forgettable, long, the character development is nonexistent, the film language is uninteresting, cliched and will seem predictable to anyone who has seen at least a couple of Thai films.

11. Piotr Migdałek's rating of the film Manta Ray

Chyba jestem zbyt leniwy by rozszyfrowywać zarówno końcówkę, jak i całą symbolikę, niemniej mam nadzieje że to dokądś prowadzi, a mi zwykłemu śmiertelnikowi pozostaje cieszyć egzotyką na ekranie. Pięknem natury, grą świateł i całym kadrowaniem wraz z zamysłem operatorskim (sic!).

12. NipponNewfie's rating of the film Manta Ray

Like most Thai art films I've seen, I didn't understand it completely but I it was beautiful and I was mesmerized/

13. Korial's rating of the film Manta Ray

The mythical nature of Manta Ray is sustained, rather than by images and symbols, by sounds and lights. Occasionally, it is wearisome, since much of the movie's appeal is to the surface (our senses) rather than to the depths where meanings lay. The elements of myth (to tell reality) are dispersed within the elements of illusion (to alter reality). Aroonpheng seems aware of both necessities, which is rare.

14. dionysus67's rating of the film Manta Ray

While being a promising debut mainly in terms of the elegance of the imagery and the poetic tones that largely resonate from what is a subtle texture, its reticence risks being interpreted as a tactic that 'plays safe' by the conventions of contemporary art-house film: ambience, 'epoche' on dramatization, non-verbal performativity, 'correct' images emptied of semantics, hybridity. These 'work' here but do not uplift.

15. Erik F.'s rating of the film Manta Ray

16. Ted Eames's rating of the film Manta Ray

Captivating photography enhances this tale of loss, loneliness and displacement. We see both ends of the spectrum of human behaviour, from kindness and fellow-feeling to murderous brutality. The use of coloured lights gives it a Magic Realism twist, with an unsettling message about the links between beauty and danger. A very impressive directorial debut.

17. Loz Loory's rating of the film Manta Ray

3.5 Feels visually and aurally symphonic, as though secret harmonies are tying together disparate worlds and peoples. Loved the minimal dialogue, as it forces the audience to exist in a similar state to Thongchai and his saviour. Beautiful cinematography and calming shots of the men simply existing together. Loved the symbolism of the bejeweled forest. Echoes of "Vertigo" in the male doubling.

18. Tajomaru's rating of the film Manta Ray

There’s so much love and so much beauty in this melancholic film… Dealing with loss of identity, finding one’s place in the world, being thankful, paying homage, wanting to blend in, not giving up on doing what’s right. Very powerful.

19. Jack's rating of the film Manta Ray

Throughout this film I swayed from loving it to loathing it. It was visually beautiful - extremely beautiful. The first hour had me fully engrossed and I found the relationship between the refugee and the young thai fisherman so warming and authentic. But when that went, I felt the film lost so much energy and the narrative/performances became slightly too obscure for me. Almost a 4 but still worth a watch for sure.

20. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Manta Ray

It's always December 25th in Thailand. Christmas lights everywhere, even in the forest. It's a great idea for a movie. I paused it several times because I lost track of what was happening. I kept thinking of what I'd put in the American version that I'm directing in my head. There were many moments where I thought the movie could have ended, but it just kept going. My version would be shorter, and end in Paris.

21. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Manta Ray

An incredible debut film with sequences that keep staying in my head.

22. lesminho's rating of the film Manta Ray

23. Mark Smith's rating of the film Manta Ray

Slow. Very slow, with lingering drawn-out attention to details which seem rather arbitrary. I will admit to being confused too. Perhaps a second viewing is warranted, but I could not face that.

24. Jordan Hoffman's rating of the film Manta Ray

A visually stunning film that is the directorial debut of Phuttiphong Aroonpheng, Manta Ray treads the line of fantasy and reality in a hypnotic mixture of a refugee's life after being saved by a fisherman from a small village in Thailand. Through a mix of real and imagined elements this story, despite a slow introduction, ends up captivating the viewer by the end on a mesmerizing audiovisual journey of the senses.