For en bedre oplevelse på MUBI, opdater din browser.

Bedømmelser & anmeldelser

1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Souvenir

I’m of two minds with this. It’s very internal and often isolating (I don’t quite believe Young Swinton is good enough to pull it all off), but at the same time I am interested in a story about a character who feels flat and empty because she’s with a man who consumes so much of her and strips her of any ability to discover (making a film that she can connect to is the overarching metaphor). That’s the devastation.

2. pancake lizard's rating of the film The Souvenir

Hogg is the most empathetic director out there - makes you feel every character as an active, living part of the mosaic, and you sympathise even with the morally unjustifiable. We need more films that draw conclusions from the human interactions, and not write human interactions to fit a preconceived moral.

3. John Woodall's rating of the film The Souvenir

My favorite film from Sundance 2019 and possibly my favorite by Joanna Hogg. Everything is kept simple and concise on the surface while maintaining so much emotional energy and depth underneath. A very rich visual experience. In a way the film vaguely reminded me of the best of Éric Rohmer's films while still maintaining a very clear direction and voice of its own.