Bewertungen & Beurteilungen

1. João R.'s rating of the film Always Shine

A fist of dirt inside our mouths that seems to compel us to rethink the stereotypical Hollywood actresses and our expectations within the screen. Indefinite, loose but good.

2. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Always Shine

3.5 It was really working until the bloody confrontation. I felt like the filmmaker was really showing us something about actresses, and a certain culture of women in our society and their social death, the filmmaking choices were bold and felt very fresh but post confrontation it hit genre cliches of the post Persona/Mulholland Drive storytelling style and it lost itself. But it was a good picture overall.

3. Taufiq Hariyadi's rating of the film Always Shine

4. traag-1's rating of the film Always Shine

Sort of a Persona/3 Women hybrid with mixed results...Really enjoyed the lead performance by Davis and the score was effective.

5. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Always Shine

Always Shine earns credit for achieving the pseudo-horror tone in an ultimately effective way; the two-shot and one-shot cinematography is repetitive for the sake of achieving this tone, which is noticed, but not particularly annoying. Where the film as a whole falls flat to me is the sheer triteness of the subject matter. The seeds of jealousy, vanity, etc. in this context could've been used more inventively.

6. vordven's rating of the film Always Shine

7. hemachandra's rating of the film Always Shine

This film made me flinch. More than once. A tense thriller that delights in uncomfortable situations. Superb performances from both the leads, who convincingly turn every casual discussion into a lunge for control.

8. Linda Wittgenstein's rating of the film Always Shine

9. ig_____or's rating of the film Always Shine

While the plot is a little too on the nose in some moments and scenes, seeing both frenemies unravel was pretty exciting and the outcome remained unpredictable until de very end. A sleek thriller with great work by both lead actresses, where the edition work also stands out.

10. Alvin Case's rating of the film Always Shine

A contemporaneous riff on All About Eve and Single White Female. It would have been great if not for the usual tropes and beats. With these actors I would have wanted a more daring story. Something that gets deeper into the feminine view of itself as mystery. Barbet Schroeder covered this and more in a mature manner that one doesn't easily forget. Yet, it's a good try.

11. HenriqueA's rating of the film Always Shine

Sundance Workshop's own version of Mulholland Drive ain't much elaborate, surprising or even eventful, but Mackenzie Davis alone makes it kinda worth watching.

12. teler_thriller's rating of the film Always Shine

kinda reminds me of Persona, but the movie is pretty boring tho.

13. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Always Shine

It's just a matter of time/ Before we get to shine/ It's not a question of when/ Or who does the crime

14. FCC 86's rating of the film Always Shine

"That's how you play sassy"

15. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Always Shine

Thespians are the best players.

16. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Always Shine

You can only remake Persona and/or 3 Women so many times. Too little too late. But, it gets a 3 because I'm soft on identity swap and because Mackenzie Davis is a force of nature.

17. Toprak Coskun Deniz's rating of the film Always Shine

What a lazy and amateurish take on women's inability to become friends with other women. poor acting, cartoonish characters and horrid directing.

18. Nicholas Gregory's rating of the film Always Shine

The 'twisty' elements fuck it up. The 1st hour is beautifully constructed in character relationships and tension, as it's so well orchestrated in the acting, scripting, characterization, and emotional depth that it's everything that this same year's The Neon Demon isn't. Then the two big twists in the final act come and it goes to hell: being unnecessarily confusing and cliche at best, and gimmicky at worst.

19. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film Always Shine

3+ great concept, but the ending felt rushed

20. Yugosalvia Plath's rating of the film Always Shine

21. jxn's rating of the film Always Shine

and in the end mackenzie davis does prove herself as the much better actress. pretty fun but not as solid or subtle as last years 'queen of earth'

22. Max Swanson's rating of the film Always Shine

Interesting concept and a fantastic lead performance by Mackenzie Davis are undone by a lackluster script and messy direction.

23. Alex's rating of the film Always Shine