Senior Legal & Business Affairs Manager
MUBI is a global streaming service, production company and film distributor dedicated to elevating great cinema. Our mission is to create, curate, acquire and champion visionary films, bringing them to audiences all over the world.
To make this possible, we’ve brought together a team of ambitious and passionate people who have influenced the biggest community of film lovers, anywhere. Today, we’re ~250 team members around the world, including London, New York, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Paris, Rome, Bologna, Vienna, Berlin, Cologne and Istanbul.
MUBI is a hybrid-remote company, and requires its team members to come into the office 2-3 days a week, if they’re located near an office. Ideally, this person will be based in or around London. However, we are open to remote UK-based applicants, so long as they can demonstrate the core requirements for the role.
About the role
The Legal and Business Affairs Team plays a critical role in working closely with and connecting different areas of the business, including Acquisition, Licensing, Sales, Production, Operations and Finance. This person will be key to supporting the team on acquisition, development and production projects.
You’ll be instrumental in helping MUBI to become the primary destination for a global audience of film lovers!
In this role, you will be reporting to Sophie, our VP Legal & Business Affairs, and working closely with Shiraz (Senior Business Affairs Manager). This role sits in the larger Content department, and will be working closely with the Finance team.
What the role involves:
- Supporting and advising on BA & legal matters across the development, production, acquisition and distribution of Films.
- Drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts with a variety of counterparties, including (but not limited to) Writer’s agreements, Option agreements, Production financing agreements, Acquisition agreements and many more!
- Advising on IP issues in connection with the use of third-party content (music, stills, clips, marketing and promotional materials etc)
- Reviewing Chain of Titles and legal delivery
- Advising on rights issues, contract and copyright law and production financing, including co-productions, pre-buy and distribution in the UK, US and Europe
- Managing and drafting a high volume of contracts with a fast turnaround
Who you are:
- You are a qualified lawyer in the UK or US
- You have experience in the film and/or TV industry
- You have experience in: Production development, Acquistion, Distribution
- You have knowledge of: IP
- You have a strong understanding of copyright law issues and an aptitude to grasp and manage other complex issues and find solutions under tight deadlines
- You are proficient at drafting skills and ability to take instructions on a wide variety of contracts
- You’re an excellent communicator for managing both internal and external stakeholders at various levels across the business
- You’re motivated to drive forward deals both independently as well as collaboratively, and feel comfortable working as part of a team
- You’re able to balance competing stakeholder demands, while assessing and escalating risks when appropriate
- You pay attention to detail
- You have excellent proficiency in English
We love to hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds, because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of people who watch the films we curate. If you’re excited about a role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description (excluding the essential skills), we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our dedication to MUBI's mission, and enthusiastic about elevating great cinema, we want to hear from you.
You'll be expected to work in commutable distance to our London office (based in Soho).
Salary: Dependent on experience.
Please apply by emailing your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
MUBI is committed to equal opportunities for our team members and candidates applying for our roles. It's our responsibility to ensure that candidates do not feel discriminated against in our hiring processes or employment decisions based on race, colour, religion, national origin, age, gender identity or expression, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, or other applicable characteristics.
We believe people from different backgrounds, with different identities and experiences, make us, our product, and our business better.