MUBI'de daha iyi deneyim için tarayıcını güncelle

Valoraciones & Críticas

1. Thomas's rating of the film China Not China

This didn't really grab me the way I was expecting, although it is a haunting piece. After watching it a few times it did begin to grow on me, but not by much.

2. internisus's rating of the film China Not China

Although conceptually, technically, and formally sound, there's not quite enough to this abstract film for its somber expression of existential duality to stand on its own, at least for this foreign viewer.

3. Elin's rating of the film China Not China

Such a beautiful thing and such exquisite sense of time flowing though you as you watch. If anyone asks me about „spirit of a place“ I’ll point towards „China Not China“. Also one of the closest impressions to watching out of a taxi window when you arrive to a new place.

4. paloma's rating of the film China Not China

beautiful, but not my cup of tea

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film China Not China

I appreciate the skill and effort to create the visual effect, the music is interesting too. But it does not feel like this feature dares to venture far beyond that and the 14 minutes seem to last forever - quite an achievement for a short! ;-) It quickly becomes repetitive, but then just towards the end the night sequences bring some new patters and the floating lights are so hypotisingly beautiful...

6. mmassias's rating of the film China Not China

7. Dimitris's rating of the film China Not China

A classic day-to-night city symphony, but multiplied to infinity. The repeating, overlapping layers give a dreamy, melancholic and uncertain vision of a transitory China. The final result is affective, but after a century of experimental filmmaking and exploring the materiality and sensorial aspects of the celluloid, I think that Tuohy's and Barrie's "experiment" doesn't have anything new to offer.

8. Elisa's rating of the film China Not China

What a beautiful caress for the mind

9. Jannik's rating of the film China Not China

This movie puts me in a feeling of discomfort while wondering about the message of it. Its a psychedelic experience.

10. Ramon Colom's rating of the film China Not China

Experimental es el término que mejor define a este pequeño film que consigue seducirte con estas imágenes duplicadas, triplicadas de calles, autobuses, pasillos, pasos de peatones. Ahora que la palabra está de moda, una distopia de imágenes sobre el movimiento en nuestras calles

11. Devin's rating of the film China Not China

Incredible visuals, especially the night section, but the score is pretty dull by comparison.

12. dmol's rating of the film China Not China

Floating between dream and nightmare

13. Eric Rucker's rating of the film China Not China

Films like this are why I love MUBI, & why the major decline in quality of curation here is so upsetting to me. My lament/cri de couer (French!) in my review of Zombies applies here too, but in terms of aesthetic/formal diversity being ghettoized to shorts. The user reviews foreground the need for helpful texts to support learning, in the face of a general lack of familiarity with conceptual & formal issues in film.

14. Artyom Yakovlev's rating of the film China Not China

It's a wonderful little gem. The combination of celluloid's naturalness and wholeness and China's ethereal, alien beauty makes this film an eye candy. The sound design is incredible too, thanks to which this film looks and sounds like a visual symphony. It definitely evokes memories of German and American experimental films of the 30s but it is a fully independent, mature work of art.

15. Robert John Torres's rating of the film China Not China

A shimmering urban tapestry of a metropolis in flux. It's a work of luminous hypnotica that morphs the prosaic everyday into a cosmic reverie. How satisfying to witness celluloid manipulated with such sensuality + finesse. The film submerges reality in pool of surreality and presents an experience of China that's dazzlingly singular and quietly ecstatic. Relax into its wavelength -- it is an otherworldly delight.

16. Heather's rating of the film China Not China

Pretty, a little repetitive. Seems like it would be better seen in theatres, where one could be fully immersed in the textures and music!

17. David R Williams's rating of the film China Not China

A beautiful film and no doubt very impactful on the big screen, however it breaks no new ground and quickly becomes repetitive. No insight is gained. It becomes background noise, something we look at when the discussion lags.

18. Pegarange's rating of the film China Not China

19. dionysus67's rating of the film China Not China

In the vicinity of Marker and Reggio but lacking the cerebral radicalism of the former and the planetary perspective of the latter on human beings within a beehive of labor and domination, this ambient short captures in mesmerizing superimpositions the megalopolis' effacement of individuality, plays well with ad significations and refractions of traffic light figures, yet it succumbs to a futurist post-human matrix.

20. alai.vargas's rating of the film China Not China

21. Paul Rot's rating of the film China Not China

22. Ted Eames's rating of the film China Not China

A fine example of semi-abstract film-making. The glaucoma-like images fuse effectively with the hypnotic soundtrack, building up a pervasive sense of alienation. Towards the end the music began to remind me of a bee hive, and the final sequence of lights in the darkness seems to add to the equation between human activity and insect life.

23. purlah's rating of the film China Not China

Amazing! Watches like a mash-up of Greenaway's Revolution and Hubert Bals Handshake, or like a naturalized Scott Pagano. Behind the abstraction of this formal exercise lies an architectural critique delivered through sinister ambiance and overwhelming anaphora. I can't look away!

24. Matthew Dunn's rating of the film China Not China

China Not China by Richard Tuohy and Dianna Barrie was a fantastic cinematic experience. The film was a clever and mesmerizing experience for the viewer. The music was slowly changing and the film had the perception of modern urban life. There was abstract art throughout the film. For me, the music in the film wasn't good though and I didn't get much of an emotional response from the movie.