Bitte aktualisiere deinen Browser um MUBI optimal nutzen zu können.

Valoraciones & Críticas

1. Matthew Dunn's rating of the film China Not China

China Not China by Richard Tuohy and Dianna Barrie was a fantastic cinematic experience. The film was a clever and mesmerizing experience for the viewer. The music was slowly changing and the film had the perception of modern urban life. There was abstract art throughout the film. For me, the music in the film wasn't good though and I didn't get much of an emotional response from the movie.

2. Art's rating of the film China Not China

It’s just a graphic-music impression. Nothing else. Nice but it is nothing about society or whatever... What a bizzarre MUBI description.

3. Santiago Delgado's rating of the film China Not China

I liked it very much! Its style, edition and montage are like "China: a trippy and psychedelic symphony of the country" where a lot frames from day to night (I guess from the same spot but at different moments) are superimposed together to create a great, avant-garde and hypnotic short!

4. Luisa's rating of the film China Not China

5. user's rating of the film China Not China

6. Toshiro's rating of the film China Not China

I guess the main point of this is to be watched in a very specific physical state. Dreamy, ghostly moving lights that are reminiscent of fireflies. Ethereal music. At the end of the day, not much more than an experimental technical gimmick, that could be reused elsewhere but that doesn’t elicit that much on its own, as is.

7. lesminho's rating of the film China Not China

8. Renato Maffei's rating of the film China Not China

Those city layers superposed provoke a very interesting effect. Instead of polluting the vision even more, it makes the multiple become a kind of homogeneity. Ironically, the result are chaotic scenes that cause a sad beauty and relaxation.

9. Olimpo Acosta's rating of the film China Not China

10. qw0aszx's rating of the film China Not China

11. José Daniel Dias Júnior's rating of the film China Not China

The movie inhabits the space between the recognizable and the abstract, a limbo between the distance of a strange perspective and the closeness of a impressionistic one. The fantasmagoric objects are completely absorbed by the flow of a constant movement; humans and vehicles go on their ways to nowhere, lights float beautifully; everything is swallowed by the atmosphere, fading in front of a unshakable comtemplation.

12. Yang's rating of the film China Not China

A hypnotic exploration of urban density, the feeling of being somewhere or something but not quite, and just the sense of modern, city life. Cars, lights and people float around like ghosts in the film, slowly but surely getting to their location but utterly indefinite and vague amongst the dizzying crowd of action. And if these images aren't you definition of beautiful, then the film is also a great nap film.

13. Frode Kinserdal's rating of the film China Not China

The production is interesting and must mean a lot of work. Except from that, I do not like it.

14. letters never sent's rating of the film China Not China

The ghostly scenes are hypnotic.

15. Mario Cavalli's rating of the film China Not China

It is always exciting to come across work that explores the potential of the moving image beyond the narrow strictures of narrative and Tuohy and Barrie’s film does occasionally produce images of scintillating beauty. The multiple exposure technique, though intriguing (more post than in-camera, I suspect, not that it matters) is barely developed however and tending towards the monotony of the (uncredited) soundtrack.

16. Nicholas Correa Negreiros's rating of the film China Not China

If the globalized age moves towards dispersion, the film performs the opposit movement towards synthesis. The result, laid in it's pictoric nature, is nothing less than the contemporary state of human presence.

17. Charlie Douglas-Hamilton's rating of the film China Not China

A pure cinematic experience with psychedelic sensory delights. I got a sense of the temporality and insignificance of your story in the world. We're so small within the whole and trying to break from its harmony is contradictory. The film ends with what seems like humans vanishing, then becoming stars/meteor stream, but even these lights go out. What is our time on this earth in relation to a galaxy burning out?

18. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film China Not China

One the most amazing, clever and mesmerizing experimental films I've seen yet!

19. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film China Not China

Hmmmm artistic and mildly interesting, China Not China feels more like an instalment than a short movie worthy of your time. It's okay, nothing more and nothing less. Well, maybe a bit less.

20. Stefan Drees's rating of the film China Not China

The film enables the perception of modern urban life as ghostlike appearance, created by multiple layers of filmed reality and backed by the slowly changing music.

21. Laura G.'s rating of the film China Not China

22. Medisetty Anirudh's rating of the film China Not China

CHINA NOT CHINA, is an abstract geo-political sketch (a very fine-drawn one) of China’s milieu. Transmogrifying urban superimpositions of Hong-Kong and Taiwan, faultlessly portray the transience of territories. This would make an infallible experimental double-bill with James Edmonds’ A Return, considering the fact that both these spiritual cousins were made using multiple exposures to spawn an intermingling effect.

23. Erik F.'s rating of the film China Not China

Eerie urban palimpsests.

24. Leco's rating of the film China Not China

Definitely works for me as a video-art piece. I wanted to go through this and compare it with my southwest China experience, having lived there for 5 months... it got me in a way. If I close my eyes I can feel a bit of that place, one buried within my memories in a way it's more a feeling than a recollection. China not China. And yet it still is.