1. Anthony De Luca's rating of the film 0.5mm

Momoko Ando might just become one of the finest Japanese directors of her generation.

2. -REM-'s rating of the film 0.5mm

3. Feng Ling's rating of the film 0.5mm

wow if my child eat with such disgrace at the table, I'll just make soup all day. let's see you eat that with your book. so the solution to a aging population are jobless homeless youngsters after all. "carer from hell"

4. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film 0.5mm

Brilliant storytelling, original characters, episodic development.

5. Nan Bauer's rating of the film 0.5mm

Movies like this are why I love MUBI. I will race to see anything that either of the Ando sisters—Momoku directing, Sakura starring—do in the future. A wonderful, uplifting, very funny story, nonetheless suffused with everyday tragedy. As Sawa, Sakura is nothing short of remarkable, empathetic, fierce, funny, sweet. Her journey and meetings with unremarkable but very real souls is a beautiful thing to watch.

6. Sean Brodeur's rating of the film 0.5mm

Interesting story. Ando Sakura's character is very charismatic.

7. Ryan Theodores's rating of the film 0.5mm

Honestly a much needed reminder to me that you can't ever stop paying attention to young Japanese filmmakers. Idiosyncratic, clever, well-observed, elliptical, patient, heart-rending, original, dryly hilarious. It's fucking great.

8. Samuel Wells's rating of the film 0.5mm

I was sure what I was expecting to happen with this film, but it was not this. It is polished and methodical, but I was left in a daze watching it. I will need time to process it more, but my immediate reaction to the film leaves me befuddled. This may be something that will take a revisit before I can have a more positive reaction. For now, it did not work for me.

9. David R Williams's rating of the film 0.5mm

What a strange, sad, occasionally creepy, beautiful film.

10. Adam S. Hacker's rating of the film 0.5mm

The kind of film you'll need to watch more than once to pick up on the subtle nuances behind the main action. At more than 3hrs, I never felt the story was dragging. Fun use of handheld camera, composition, soft focus/action moving in/out of focus. A true work of art. Make it through the strange opening 20min and it starts to make sense. Bravo.

11. truffraud's rating of the film 0.5mm

i started to type about the constants in this movie (the car, red dress, cooking, etc), and how they reassure/anchor, in a story about a girl who's essentially a nomad, and that review got heavy-handed and exceeded the limit... so i'll just say this: 0.5mm is gorgeous, and i could write a book about it.

12. saltwater's rating of the film 0.5mm

Sakura Ando is fantastic as a vulnerable and wandering ex-caretaker in this charming mix of road trip, self discovery, and odd coupling. As others have mentioned, the runtime is way too long as scenes start to repeat themselves. Still an enjoyable journey.

13. Maeve Fitzgerald Cavadini's rating of the film 0.5mm

Wonderful film, I have been introduced to a director I was unaware of, Ando is an inspiration. I'm very grateful for the smart and nuanced curation of this site.

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film 0.5mm

Sometimes you don't need millions to make a big change. Sometimes it's those little pushes that make all the difference.

15. David Grillo's rating of the film 0.5mm

Surpasses what Aoyama did with Eureka. It's also much funnier.

16. Elayla's rating of the film 0.5mm

Interesting concept, but it got tedious after a while. What is the point, after all? I couldn't watch it to the end to find out. Maybe the point was there was no point.