1. Edwin N's rating of the film 100 Years of Japanese Cinema

I still haven't seen this documentary, but I'm not willing to.Nagisa Oshima is one of the brightest, most provocative Japanese filmmakers, but I don't think he's in a position to make a documentary about Japanese cinema, since he's the one saying "My hatred for Japanese cinema includes absolutely all of it". To this, I completely agree with Apursansar.

2. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film 100 Years of Japanese Cinema

"My hatred of Japanese cinema includes absolutely all of it." - Oshima Nagisa.... Ought to give you an idea about how much you'll learn of Japanese film history here. However, one does get a handy overview of Oshima Nagisa films! Another dud in BFI's "cinema history" series (along with 100 YEARS OF POLISH CINEMA). A waste of time.

3. J. Nyhuis's rating of the film 100 Years of Japanese Cinema

Proof that a film's title alone can negatively affect its reception. Change this doc's name to NAGISA OSHIMA TALKS ABOUT HIS MOVIES AND A FEW OTHER FILMS, TOO and it winds up being an entertaining and fairly insightful highlight in Oshima's career rather than the transgression against Japanese cinema that many critics seem to think it is.

4. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film 100 Years of Japanese Cinema

you want to know who is oshima? this is your doc for a kind of autoportrait. if your expecting to conect with japanese cinema tradition, switch to donald richie's amazing books on the topic. ps. godard approach to french cinema (2 x 50, 100 yeas of french cinema) is better than this, but still as personal as oshimas

5. apursansar's rating of the film 100 Years of Japanese Cinema

Quite ironically a director who stated that "My hatred for Japanese cinema includes absolutely all of it.” was asked for his contribution to the "Century of Cinema" series representing Japan, and the documentary is as biased and one-dimensional as one would expect considering his attitude, skipping most classical directors of the Golden Age and focussing almost exclusively on the New Wave and his own films.