1. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film 13th

Certainly one of the most important documentaries of recent times, with punchy graphics and disturbing archival footage from the last 100 years. Put this on your must watch list.

2. Mr.Rager's rating of the film 13th

3. janice.hughes's rating of the film 13th

Ava DuVernay's analytical documentary on the current day incarceration of millions of black Americans in spite of the 13th Amendment that banned slavery. It tales us through Reagan's 'war on drugs' through to the lack of justice and lack of forgiveness even for young offenders committing their first crime. It is yet another dark and depressing account of America today.

4. analeorne's rating of the film 13th

The US are a very fucked-up place.

5. zohen lux's rating of the film 13th

6. S Campbell's rating of the film 13th

Vital film which shows how America is still persecuting those its sought to liberate from slavery. Watch and learn people watch and learn

7. Wing Narada's rating of the film 13th

One of the most important documentaries today. Thought-provoking.

8. grotescsetorg's rating of the film 13th

9. Diogo Pires's rating of the film 13th

Provavelmente o filme mais relevante de 2016. O documentário de Ava DuVernay é praticamente a transformação do brilhante THE NEW JIM CROW em objecto visual. Merece ser visto, debatido, estudado. Valente murro no estômago e nó na garganta. // MANDATORY to understand how the US criminal justice system works and why (and how) it never stopped the exploration of african americans since slavery.

10. steeeeellaaaaa's rating of the film 13th

11. EdieEmm's rating of the film 13th

Extraordinarily relevant, and perfectly timed. Not because the info, or its importance, is new... It's so not new. But because the info - which even just a few years ago was relegated to the domain of "radicals" - is ready for mainstreaming. Making it (as they say in the film) a prime target for bandaiding & appropriating. And making this sort of structural perspective more necessary than ever. Strong doc; well made.

12. RodrigoPereira's rating of the film 13th

I am afraid there is no correlation between historicism and sensationalism, something Duvernay presents as relatable is in my opinion not at all: there is no approximation between legal, institutional repression and pure prejudice. That's why I see this doc as somehow flat in its consistency - could have skipped the last 30 minutes and it would've been much better.

13. teresa romã's rating of the film 13th

14. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film 13th

Observant, insightful, and necessary, “13th” reaffirms Ava DuVernay as the powerful voice of the oppressed, as well as a world-class filmmaker.

15. ronny's rating of the film 13th

a story that needs to be told again and again and again until we get it right.

16. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film 13th

The king of info dump I guess, but I enjoyed it for the right balance in telling a story and keeping the facts straight.

17. Joana China's rating of the film 13th

dear white people, we are the worst. (also: angela davis still is everything <3)

18. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film 13th

Eye opening documentary that sheds light on the scheming ways of a society obsessed with power and leverage over citizens of another race.

19. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film 13th

20. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film 13th

21. Jason's rating of the film 13th

It's a talking head documentary, but it is also essentially an essay film. The thesis is inherent to the connotations of the thirteenth amendment to the United States constitution itself. It is a very, very sound thesis and it is cleanly, even brilliantly delineated. So, while it isn't really anything special formally, 13TH is a very important and enervating piece. Cries to be seen by as many people as possible.

22. Ana Sousa's rating of the film 13th

"The truth is we are living at this time and we are tolerating it."

23. msmichel's rating of the film 13th

Ava Duvernay's study of America's prison system and its roots in the 13th amendment which created the policy needed to continue forced work and later forced incarceration is a thoughtful and powerful documentary well deserving of its accolades. The notion that full freedom has ever been granted is ludicrous when one simply studies the statistics and the politics which change the wording with the same end result.

24. Ordet Ordet's rating of the film 13th