1. ebabehh's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Intimate by proximity. Denis does the opposite of Eugène Green, shows instead of tells. Such a tender film.

2. Andrew Lang's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Claire Denis is the great poet of the modern screen and her films are exercises in the art of paying attention. Nothing really happens, but tectonic plates shift

3. Diderot's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

A quiet, beautiful movie about what (and how) people mean to each other, featuring a much appreciated guest appearance by Ingrid Caven, lonely and ponderous after all these years.

4. Ghostman's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

A masterpiece & the first Claire Denis film I've seen. She's a master! And she's got mad style but isn't a show off. A touching & gentle film, filled with feeling and humanity. Very Ozu-like in its treatment of family & aging; very reminiscent of Late Spring but without a doubt its own film. A beautiful work, can't wait to watch more Denis films! And now I can't stop listening to Nightshift by The Commodores!

5. Raluca Popescu's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

6. Will Linhares's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

7. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

"When it's over, it's over. You have to leave." Like when your cat dies. There's nothing really keeping you there. The relationships have run out of steam. Like Chinua Achebe says, "Things fall apart." The main part I didn't like was being lectured at, whether I agree or not.

9. ammar's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

10. ironbound's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

11. -REM-'s rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

12. Balthaz21's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

13. Renton47's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

I have never considered Denis a straightforward filmmaker, though she does beautifully utilise simplicity. That alters here, where her refinement from abstraction after 'L'intrus' leads to a film where the purpose is a little too literal from scene to scene. That said she made me feel completely a theme I'm often alienated by in film: familial obligation. The space allowed characters is what provides its humanism.

14. bryanvmh's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Don't marry that guy, but also maybe don't live with your dad anymore either?

15. Vladimir Seput's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Wonderful film - characters, music, direction. Strong in its simplicity. I think Ozu would be glad to see it

16. Daniel Walker's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

17. Oh, hi Denny's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

everything she does is great

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Not as rich and rewarding as most of her films, but I still cherish it.

19. Irina Artenii's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

20. Bjanicas's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Ozu goes (beautifully) french.

21. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Claire Denis' loving tribute to Ozu is great- he would have been proud!

22. Stevie's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

A great modern-day tribute to the great Ozu.

23. Tutu888's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

Music and cinematography provide a very melancholy mood. But Denis tries to tie too many storylines. In the last half hour the plot works hastily to its conclusion which is a pity for an otherwise excellent film.

24. porcyk's rating of the film 35 Shots of Rum

The most humane -- and most human -- film from perhaps our greatest living filmmaker.

← Previous 1 3 4