1. Nachtreich's rating of the film A Band Called Death

2. naokoken's rating of the film A Band Called Death

"David's crackin' up wherever he is." I really enjoyed the overall structure of this documentary from how the band started, to the passing of David, and the band together again after 40 years. And then David says ""Okay, hold it, wait. What if I told you the ultimate trip was death?"

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Decent doc. Not sure of the big deal about these guys. The Stooges were def around before them. The Monks, a 60s band, were more punk than these dudes. Not understanding their blind following of every whim of their weirdo bro David either. Music is overhyped to me, but a very interesting story on a personal level. Maybe being an only child I just dont get it, but I am a musician, still seems weird. Worth a look

4. Nan Bauer's rating of the film A Band Called Death

I never guessed this movie would be so uplifting. Wonderful story, great musicians, and powerful incentive to stick to your creative vision.

5. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Even if you aren't a fan of Death's psychedelic brand of quasi-religious, jam-band punk rock, the story of the three brothers from Detroit who set out to form a band and change the world is indelibly etched and still relevant today. The fact that the sons are carrying on the fathers' legacies is affecting. Yet, it's a bit slight once you get past that premise. 3.5 stars

6. Julia Miville's rating of the film A Band Called Death

The story was good and I loved the people in it, but the film itself just did not feel like it was put together right. Have to look up their music.

7. mpho3's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Death... For all the whole world to see. "Artistic Integrity. Full Circle. All heart. These terms are a summation of both the band and the film that exposes their compelling story." - Iann Robinson, Crave.

8. Peter Schafer's rating of the film A Band Called Death

A strange and beautiful story of visionary musicians. When this music emerged a few years back, it seemed miraculous. Why hadn't I ever heard this before??? The story why is more than I could've imagined. Excellent movie.

9. Sal Gal's rating of the film A Band Called Death

10. T Mills's rating of the film A Band Called Death

A great story however I can't help but feel it would have been much better in different hands with an alternative structure and a more raw feeling

11. Chris's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Any fan of punk should watch this to learn the story. But it gets pretty preachy and religiousy throughout. Sign of the times I suppose. Ironic that a proto-punk band would be so religion focused when a large portion of the current scene is anti-religion. Good watch overall.

12. Ben Loory's rating of the film A Band Called Death

13. bodhishin's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Found the story interesting in general, and could also sense hearing some of the pioneer punk sounds. But never bought into some overlooked greatness. It seemed to me that they might have done better as a band, not having been compelled to follow their founding brother's every cosmic whim toward success.

14. Ross Koehl's rating of the film A Band Called Death

A Band Called Death This Documentary is a fascinating look at some of the earliest roots of what can be classified as Punk rock. Always engaging the only thing that keeps it from being a perfect documentary for me is the sense of exploitation I got from the other brothers legacy. Not quite a portrait of a band or an exhaustive history of their music this documentary treads the line between and is enjoyable.

15. jamesey's rating of the film A Band Called Death

I learned, I rocked, and I got all choked up at the end. Who's cutting onions in here!?!?

16. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film A Band Called Death

The influence of Funk, Fusion and R&B on punk and hardcore is only now being appreciated. We were there baby. Not only were we there, we made it happen...ultra bad-ass.

17. Samuel Wells's rating of the film A Band Called Death

"This is where death was born." There is a good devotion to allowing the voice of all of the members of the band be heard. Each of their perspectives can be understood. The mythos of the band, their origins, and iconography are all well explained in a fresh and clean way. I appreciate the work being done in this respect. The real star is their music that is slipped in and gives the whole film an atmospheric theme.

18. Nick Potter's rating of the film A Band Called Death

A terrific story told in an interesting way that is entirely filled with great music. I'm certainly no documentary expert, but I know this is great.

19. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Interesting documentary on the alternate genesis of punk rock. The music itself is pretty good too, and it definitely raises question as to if this is the first real punk band. The band has an interesting story, and it is rather miraculous that this had never been heard before. Other than that not much else in the presentation to praise, but the subject is good enough for that not to matter too much.

20. Mimzilla's rating of the film A Band Called Death

This is a great story and documentary. Just realized I was at Funfunfun fest when they played, but I had no idea about them. THE SHAME!

21. nurrrit's rating of the film A Band Called Death

para calentar el corazón

22. Chichago_'s rating of the film A Band Called Death

The first time I heard their song –"Rock-N-Roll Victim"– is from Nick Allbrook's mixtape. At first I thought, "what a weird but addictive song.". It turns out that the people behind that song are these brothers in the documentary.

23. Polyglot's rating of the film A Band Called Death

"...Dad, why didn't you tell me!?''

24. msmichel's rating of the film A Band Called Death

Amazing music documentary tracing the history of a band called Death. Hailing from Motor City, three brothers formed a rock band while everyone else was playing Motown. Their music by '74 mutated into an early version of garageband punk 2 years before the Ramones burst onto the scene. By '78 they were history but in 2008 that all changed. Incredible story, great music with a true familial feeling underneath.