1. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Good luck trying to sum up this film's power in 400 characters.

2. Walker's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

This has to be one of the very best and most extraordinary films ever made.

3. Daishi's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

This is about lovers, friends, family. In one word, emotion.

4. Aditya Watts's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

5. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Shattering, brooding, contemplative and sublime.

6. Eka Vakri Riski's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

7. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

10 - I would have to rewatch "The Terrorizers" (a gorgeous, magnificent film that is fully deserving of a 4K restoration *hinthint*) again to be sure I prefer this, though my doing so or not has no impact on this monolith's status. Yang created a warm synecdoche for an entire nation's identity crisis out of that nation's own flesh and blood, and he just let it play out in long, dazzling, yet somehow discreet takes.

8. Daniel S.'s rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Scorsese and Leone in China. Masterpiece.

9. TZUHSIEN TANG's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

10. alphonse's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

A Brighter Summer Day is a film of a unique formal complexity - that becomes simplicity - and of such graceful detail and structure. With this film, Edward Yang crafted a genuine, pure masterpiece about a time, a country and its politics, about Taiwanese people, about family bonds and about a certain generation. And yet it is "just" a brutal coming-of-age tale, about Si'r's search for integrity and first love.

11. Frederica Bepler's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

12. Xose Manoel Ramos's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Xa tivemos demasiadas películas de autobiográfias. Taiwan parece que tiña cousas interesantes. Pero non tanto para aturar esta pelicula.

13. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

14. mlstrx's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

honestly this film is kinda dumb and doesnt even come close to yang's best work :/

15. Zac Weber's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

A sprawling epic that examines the adolescent search for belonging in a society with its own fractured and evolving identity. Edward Yang has an incredible ability to capture multiple people in the same frame, as if to breathe depth and collective agency into the characters' delinquency and emotions. Cat is my favorite.

16. ranchocarne's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Beautiful and sad, the last hour is crushing. Every bit as good as expected, I waited years to watch a restored version and not the shitty torrent available.

17. HSBilly's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

i just keep erasing the words that i want to express in this review. but none of them is worthy to describe my deepest admiration for mr. yang and his films.

18. Duncan Gray's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Finally! A while ago, I decided that as a pet project, I'd watch every film on the Sight & Sound top 100. I chipped away for years—then the bastards bumped this rarity to a top slot in 2012 and I had to languish at 99% waiting for someone to release it. But now I'm done! And the film? A masterpiece, very Renoir, just what we need in an era with bombastic franchises at one end and anhedonic slow cinema at the other.

19. clara m's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

what the fuk!!!!! okay!!!!!

20. Matthew Martens's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

A sprawling yet claustrophobic melodrama about crimes of passion and the doldrums of inertia in early 1960s Taiwan, A Brighter Summer Day brilliantly captures the pathetic fallacy in a net of enchanting chiaroscuro, pinning the personal to the political with winning, if heartbreaking, precision. It's also funny, tender, and Elvis-oriented.

21. Jason's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Obviously a total cinema hydra. This is a preeminent example of a filmmaker investing all of himself into a vision. Edward Yang deserves a throne and a scepter. What are we to compare it to? It is thoroughly Taiwanese and of a very specific historical moment (the one in which it was made, and the one it captures). However, that it name-drops War and Peace is telling. Think Tolstoy meets Mean Streets. In Taiwan.

22. Warren Spratley's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Let's consider technique, the overpowering weight of light & darkness, the distanced, enigmatic way Yang frames/conveys each & every scene of his film. The novelistic narrative scope is indeed majestic, but there is a slow accumulation of detail from Yang's long-take staging that's thoroughly prodigious. He honors the mystery of the human character & its drearisome ties to political & socioeconomic circumstances.

23. Kamran's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Yang's pragmatic use of visual and narrative space masterfully presents all the intricate dimensions of living. 98/100 - Masterful

24. Andrew Miller's rating of the film A Brighter Summer Day

Saw this in Chicago to a reverent house.