1. Aardsy's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Competent more than compelling.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Un lieutenant américain engagé volontaire dans l'armée italienne tombe amoureux d'une infirmière anglaise et ses sentiments le mèneront à la désertion. Aussi bien que le roman ! www.cinefiches.com

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Possibly the only Hemingway adaptation that isnt shit (although Old Man and the Sea is ok too). Menjou and Cooper work well together, and Helen Hayes was never lovelier. Its a shame her film career wasnt longer, but the theatre def was her home by all accounts. The effects of war on the human condition are explored to great depths, with this probably the 3rd best pre-Code war film after Big Parade and All Quiet...

4. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

3.5 stars. This is a good movie despite the lack of chemistry between the leads. I know that Helen Hayes was highly regarded on stage but she has no screen presence whatsoever. I have seen her in other films and she is a cipher. Gary Cooper is wonderful, however.

5. Terri Wise's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

I love Gary Cooper, but though Helen Hayes is a good actress, the two of them make a strange combination. Cooper was beautiful and a decent but not magnificent actor. Menjou is good.

6. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

I fell asleep after first 30 minutes

7. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

I admit I got disoriented while watching it, I did't understood many stylistic decisions, but at the same time Borzage managed to subtly inspire a quiet sense of awe that was kept on growing until it was released in the end. My viewing was improvable, but I suspect this is a far more complex movie than it appears.

8. RoRoRoro's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

9. El Biffo's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

4.9 stars, really good. Borzage's films have a way of taking me to another world, which is what cinema is for.

10. V Daniel López's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

¡Hemingway fue, es y será siempre un genio! No por nada es de mis escritores favoritos, y esta historia está llena de una carga emocional, de un diálogo profundo y bello. Muy buena adaptación de la obra, con buena actuaciones y, a mi parecer, un excelente manejo de cámaras en varias tomas de la película. Un final triste, pero grande. Me encantó.

11. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Borzage seems to be on auto-pilot in this film. The characters have no complexity and they have zero chemistry. I don't think I have ever been this indifferent towards a character's death in my life. At least it showcases more of the director's ability to create wonderful images of sexual love that approach the best of Vigo's infinitely superior L'Atalante. If you want a Borzage war film, stick with Three Comrades.

12. Malcolm Street's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Hemingway short story becomes three-hanky weepie. Flawed but fascinating - some great camera work and wartime ambiance, and a great war montage at one point. Let down by Gary Cooper showing the acting ability of a wooden plank, and an over-the-top melodramatic ending. NOTE: the running time says 80 minutes, which is that of the post-Code censored version. It's actually the full 89 minute pre-Code version.

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Fantastic adaptation, I was hoping pretty much less since the book keeps a "higher standard seal of quality". Of course it's not the book, it´s a vision, very secure and full of amazing shots.

14. raggiodisole's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Melodrama. a not entirely convincing slide from manliness to meekness from Coops. what did impress, though, were the visions of war and the trauma it inflicts

15. johnfbarry71's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Vaguely interesting but Coop is at his stiffest and Helen Hayes is pure chopped ham. Only Adolphe Menjou's eccentric lothario and the sublime cinematography of Charles Lang make it worth watching, though I doubt I'd bother to watch it again.

16. ruthlornaadele's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

3.5 really, some interesting peacenik themes brought out in this film, in addition to the privations (or not) of the different sections of serving WWI personel in Italy. Some great montage and photography, and an enduring love story but the leading couple just don't quite convince me.

17. SeñoritaTeschmacher!!!'s rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Guernica__http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/programa/dias-cine-jose-luis-alcaine-cree-que-picasso-inspiro-adios-las-armas-para-guernica/1268475/

18. Dave's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Beautifully shot by Borzage (as usual for him) and dealing in the areas which he does better than almost anyone else - the idea of enduring love. It isn't his best, but it is a classic of the 1930s.

19. AKFilmFan's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

While toning down cynicism and uplifting the doomed romance, Borzage's montage scene is an added bonus to his theme of transcendent love.

20. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film A Farewell to Arms

Pre-code Hollywood melodrama adapts Ernest Hemingway's novel about a WWI soldier who falls in love with a nurse, and deserts the military upon finding out she is pregnant in order to find and take care of her. Old Hollywood has its charms, but Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes have surprisingly little chemistry, and their relationship never rings true.