1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film A Field in England

2. Elena's rating of the film A Field in England

3. chazell's rating of the film A Field in England

4. sabrina's rating of the film A Field in England

Wheatley is such a versatile director! Expecting a Kill List vibe did not prepare me for this movie, which was really good at reflecting (a) a non-consensual mushroom trip and (b) tensions in power dynamics among suspicious strangers during the English civil war. I also liked how nothing was very explicit which I found to be very captivating (partially because I was a little confused)

5. wraithinlimbo's rating of the film A Field in England

Made a relatively boring historical period wildly interesting. The black and white cinematography removes the possibility of the film looking like a low budget History Channel documentary.

6. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film A Field in England

A directed movie. I imagine the script was 20 pages long, at most. With influences from Dead Man and Waiting for Godot. It's designed to alienate; every decision is made for the purpose of making you not want to watch more of it. You can't like this movie, only that it does do what it does. Because it's a fucking slog to watch.

7. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film A Field in England

Seeing it again three years or so after release, I was a touch less wowed and a little less beguiled but it's still quite extraordinary in ambition and in realisation. I was also intrigued by what must be a deliberate reference to the (Scottish) Engagers which means that if taken literally we are in 1648 rather than the First Civil War and so closer to the Commonwealth being established. I thought that significant.

8. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film A Field in England

"we're only shadows here, remember?"

9. ullabella's rating of the film A Field in England

10. Balthaz21's rating of the film A Field in England

11. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film A Field in England

Part of this is my fault: based on virtually nothing, I built up a very different film in my head. I imagined something stark & subtle, Cormac McCarthian, an abridged Bela Tarr. Instead I got a Ben Wheatley joint. Even without my inexplicable expectations, it's all broken: music, script, direction; cheap digital b&w transfer, tedious character/plot tropes, plus a truly bad movie-scream. Uncompelling.

12. Max Seqgar's rating of the film A Field in England

Not horror more like art house psychedelic drama. Great acting, and simple yet well executed plot. Cool one!

13. contact@niklaspersson.com's rating of the film A Field in England

This is one of my absolute favourite movies, coupled with one of my absolute favourite soundtracks – it's all very cleverly created in symbiosis, with the music production tying into the mental state of the main character. A beautiful, surreal and powerful film best screened on a large screen with really good sound.

14. AdrianM.'s rating of the film A Field in England

I actually think this movie is a work of genius, but I'm not able to fully appreciate it yet

15. Adam Whybray's rating of the film A Field in England

Pleasing earthy about magic (until the rather daft media player visualisation effects start). This and Herzog are how I like my history films to be made. I love the angry little man that is Reece Shearsmith. Dat face when he comes out of the tent...!

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film A Field in England

Found it on Amazon. Mesmerizing. It has similarities to Monty Python, but played out in a hallucinatory fashion.

17. Khashayar Mohammadi's rating of the film A Field in England

great concept for a short film, but feels forcefully dragged out to feature length. I personally feel the black and white was a poor choice for such an aesthetically bland landscape. feels more like a student film.

18. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film A Field in England

The editing in the final 20 minutes was amazing, the cinematography as a whole for that matter in that part of the movie. Otherwise it's kinda enjoyable but clearly very limited in its imaginative and literal scope and budget.

19. Tibulle85's rating of the film A Field in England

Pas grand chose à ajouter aux autres commentaires. Un exercice de style formaliste, intriguant et plaisant à suivre, notamment grâce à des acteurs investis. Il est néanmoins très dommage que le scénario - complétement négligé et sans doute écrit sur un coin de table en moins d'une 1/2 heure (!) - n'ait pas bénéficié d'autant d'attention que l'image. :-///

20. Vincent Balcer's rating of the film A Field in England

Un film vraiment particulier qui vous envoute doucement. Mention spéciale à la bande-son plutôt inspirée.

21. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film A Field in England

WHEATLEY - quel immense réalisateur - casse les genres. De la misère de la guerre avec de pauvres bougres qui font penser à Shakespeare ou Kuroswa on passe à l'horreur, au fantasmagorique. Photo & musique saisissantes. === Bold & haunting. WHEATLEY what an immense artist! These poor devils remind us of Shakespeare or Kurosawa. Then all at once we're in a fantasy/horror film. Gripping music score, awesome photography.

22. Alphabona's rating of the film A Field in England

Like most of Ben Wheatley's pictures, "A Field In England" won't appeal to everybody. But if you are prepared to fully abandon yourself to a trippy exceptional experience about the individual power relationships in the England Civil War, you're in for a ride. The image is superb, the actors are great, the music is top-notch and Wheatley is at his best. Not for everybody, but I hope you'll be part of the happy few.

23. FISCHER's rating of the film A Field in England

On aura beau gloser sur l'étrange folie qui traverse l'oeuvre de part en part, échafaudant quelques scènes d'une étrange fascination hypnotique, pointer avec raison une étonnante plasticité visuelle qu'un magnifique noir et blanc rehausse , il faut avant tout savoir raconter une histoire, ce que Ben Wheatley ne sait plus faire, engoncé dans une pesante prétention narcissique. www.cinefiches.com

24. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film A Field in England

Like an unfunny Monty Python sketch !