1. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

lol I love when boring movies are described as "lean"

2. El Biffo's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

My re-watch of this was back-to-back with a rewatch of Yojimbo, both for Family Movie Day. Without saying a word to prejudice him, I asked my nineteen-year-old what he thought and the verdict was unanimous: it pales in comparison to the visual grandeur, the mood and everything else about Yojimbo. 3.5*

3. Nick Schwab's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

The plot-heaviness means it's only as good as its action. These set pieces exist in the odd time period between primitiveness and modernism. Leone's action scenes were influential if not quite fully formed yet, but it's an important film that brought along the spaghetti-western genre. The first entries were surpassed in action/style by many others in the explosion, including the third film and Leone's later westerns.

4. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

This is a B-movie, if not worse. Very bad supporting cast, fake blood all over, terrible amateurish action scenes, dull storyline. I could hardly get through it. Boring, boring, boring; but one star for Clint Eastwood.

5. MistaRichard's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Kurosawa is, without a doubt, a very tough act to follow, but Leone still manages to pull through and appeal to a more commercial audience with this fiery and very much worthy retelling of "Yojimbo".

6. Rūdolfs R. Vītoliņš's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Apotheosis of spaghetti and even western genre at large and first film in Man With No Name or Dollar trilogy. (Worth to mention that protagonist is called Joe, Manco or Blondie from time to time in this trilogy). Movie is shot absolutely in Spain. And of course Ennio Morricone.

7. -REM-'s rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

8. João R's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

This is completely personal but this was one of those movies that neither excited me, nor bothered me. Still, I do think that Eastwood's performance and boldness were worth it, even if I can't say I had a joyful time watching it.

9. yovargas's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

A cowboy'd remake of samurai movie Yojimbo. I didn't like Yojimbo but this one's worse in nearly every way. I won't deny Eastwood's effortless cool but it's not a brand of cool I find entertaining. Otherwise, nothing to see here. I give it a D+.

10. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

11. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

It is true that this is the least-polished of the "Dollars" films. Yet, every time I watch it, I see less of its flaws and more of the brilliance of the later films. All the good stuff of the trilogy is here: the striking visuals, the clever dialogue, the tense build-up and execution of the action scenes, and the music of the ever-incredible Ennio Morricone.

12. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Strange that a guy like Leone– who deconstructed the Western two movies later with what was essentially one 180-minute-long wink– would take YOJIMBO, an already funny, ironic (weirdly enough) take on the Western genre, but then make his version so dour, dark, and straight-faced in its dealing with genre tropes. A+ visuals, but it looms in the effortless shadow of YOJIMBO with its sour violence and lack of triumph.

13. Cristián Gómez's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

14. Diderot's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Already with his first attempt, Leone emerged as the master of the Western. Fuck John Ford.

15. ammar's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

16. ceknklsn's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

17. Ethan's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

This is Sergio Leone's Yojimbo.

18. Dalibor's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Right from the beginning, this testosterone-charged view of the wild West formed a powerful genre, still evoking references. Everything explored within it further on is introduced here. It may not yet be as profound as in later works, and definitely not as lyrical, but the cornerstone in all it's sexy spaghetti self is brilliantly placed.

19. SpacePirate's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

A very simple story here. A new style of western was born here, and the trilogy is some of the most fun to be had watching films. Essential

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

A solid remake, but nowhere near as good as Yojimbo, which is not so much an insult as it’s hard to top a masterpiece. This time the setting is the American wild west, filmed of course in Spain. Eastwood gives a serviceably cool performance, but Mifune was better, and Leone gives equally cool direction, but again he can’t outdo Kurosawa’s expertise. An apparent staple western, but not a particularly great one.

21. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

And came LEONE ... even if he called himself Bob ROBERTSON at the time !

22. Marta's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

23. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Damn, i much prefer John Ford's vision of western (even it's more classicism and less '' cool''). This film is absurdly cliché and stupidly stereotyped at maximum. I hope that the remain of the trilogy is more profound than this one, please.

24. Hollywood Overdose's rating of the film A Fistful of Dollars

Clint Eastwood's golden age are the 60's and this is primetime debut. He's the badass that rises from a cloud of dust with the serenity of a cheetah waiting to kill the gazelle. The way he holds that cigar in his mouth is like Christian Bale becoming Batman. The cigar chose Clint not the other way around. It's too much coolness but he handles it right.

← Previous 1 3 4