1. interkosmos's rating of the film A German Youth

A fairly concise archival exploration of the Red Army Faction phenomena. The take on RAF history is the one currently en vogue, but what really shines here is the archival footage, especially that of Ulrike Meinhof and the films of Holger Meins and Gudrun Ensslin. If there is something new here, it is how that footage emphasizes the RAF's origins and dialectic in media studies and praxis. MUBI show some Mein's films!

2. EdieEmm's rating of the film A German Youth

I liked this quite a bit, I remember, but everything else quickly faded into the shadow of the giant swoony crush I developed on Ulrike Meinhof.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film A German Youth

What happens when words fail? When your verbal raging against the machine falls on at best deaf ears and apathy, or at worst, scorn and physical harm? Does one slink back to a mainstream existence? Or does one take up arms and speak the language of the oppressor? Powerful and thought provoking.

4. Conor M's rating of the film A German Youth

Superb. When compared with The Baader Meinhof Complex, this film demonstrates why the documentary form is so important. To see that Ulrike Meinhof was an actual living person, with agency in the actually existing world, and not just a character in a very good film.

5. Strabicofilm's rating of the film A German Youth

Documentario ben costruito che mostra la lucida scelta ideologica di alcuni giovani tedeschi che,negli anni 70,decisero di imbracciare le armi e costituire il gruppo RAF.L'aspetto più interessante è la capacità di mostrare la progressiva radicalizzazione di alcuni membri del gruppo attraverso le immagini d'archivio.2stelle perché l'impressione è quella della strizzatina d'occhio alle ideologie marxiste dei terroristi

6. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film A German Youth

Having taken part in student protests and watched a similar dwindling of support and the turn to more alienating approaches (nothing approaching RAF levels though), this doc was a bittersweet revelation. Surprisingly even-keeled, brilliantly reflexive in its inclusion of radical filmmaking of the time, it's a lightening rod connecting us to the time it depicts, leaving afterimages that won't stop haunting me.

7. msmichel's rating of the film A German Youth

Exceptional documentary looking at the rise of the RAF in 60's/70's Germany by using only archival footage to tell its' tale. The passion of the radical youth shines through as protest gives way to violence and eventually terror.

8. Admir U Gomila Nacrta's rating of the film A German Youth

9. Jesse W.'s rating of the film A German Youth

Excellent historical documentary about a group of radical student filmmakers whom became political terrorists in West Germany during the 1960s. From art as politics, to demonstrations and actions, to confrontation and violence. I hadn't known the extent of the middle-class/bourgeois background of the Red Army Faction members. Ulrike Meinhoff was a public figure doing journalism—until democracy fell short for her.

10. Jegsy's rating of the film A German Youth

Apposite and well made doc exposing the inherent problems of vanguardism by bourgeois youth, who have no idea of not only the material conditions of working class life, but also the psychological manifestations of oppression beyond the abstract. Interesting how then and now the political classes/media marshal and spin the rhetoric of the opposition to suit their nefarious ends, showing why they'll always win.

11. SiIencio's rating of the film A German Youth

The Germanic pendulum swung from a nostalgia of authoritarism to radical libertarianism confronting a reminiscent Establishment with a youth ashamed of their national legacy. Périot executes this dichotomy with excerpts from the past, crucial videofootage unfolds the story perhaps too swiftly. In the context of the Cold War it is critical to expose the rationale behind the existence of another popular terrorist group

12. alnsferraz's rating of the film A German Youth

#nós #cultura #cinema #artes #filmes #mubi #unejeunesseallemande #jeangabrielpériot #revolução #opressão #proletariado #precariado #socialismo #comunismo #anarquismo #repetição #ciclos #farsa #tragédia #juventude #terrorismo #baadermeinhof #liberdade #criatividade #trabalho #lutadeclasses

13. guillermo's rating of the film A German Youth

Red flag. JLG, Margarethe von Trotta, Rainer Werner Fassbinder. So many fascist politicians against a few crazy and lucid anachists. The sixties and the seventies tought us that it is always about politics. All is politics. Late capitalism has won, but our humanity cannot be destoyed. Great movie.

14. Superfrog's rating of the film A German Youth

A really good set of forgotten footage that covers the Red Army Faction and this place and time better than anything else I have seen. Also a very meta reasoning about the nature of cinema as a political form. A very pleasant watch.

15. captainfez's rating of the film A German Youth

One of the few political collages you'll see that features close-ups of shit.

16. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film A German Youth

A documentary about the rise of The Red Army Faction, a revolutionary terrorist group founded by Andreas Baader and Ulrike Meinhof, this is a fascinating look at how well-intentioned political progressives can become demoralised and, in turn, radicalised. Superb stuff.

17. Jason's rating of the film A German Youth

A GERMAN YOUTH is an assemblage, a collection of found footage, full of grandstanding politicos and strident youth, bits of news, spliced-in happenings. Shouldn't by any rights be one of the most grabs-on-won't-let-go captivating things I have ever seen, but there you have it. This is mad and profound history I was already profoundly mad for. I had this thought: Ulrike Meinhof could just as easily have been a CEO.

18. DrFirestone's rating of the film A German Youth

Absolutely brilliant documentary exposing the reasons why the far left political movements failed (so far). We see the fragmented political left crushed by the capitalist media and state control. But most of all, we fail to evolve because of our conformist human nature - a revolution requires a personal sacrifice, and the working class (until they’re dying of starvation) couldn’t care less. Top class documentary.

19. Edward Morris's rating of the film A German Youth

20. Lodyandrian's rating of the film A German Youth

Cara 'indie' untuk ngeliat gonjang-ganjing Jerman Barat menyapu bersih sayap kiri.

21. Smaro Papaevangelou's rating of the film A German Youth

22. lonesbaltris's rating of the film A German Youth

I've been searching this film everywhere. And I finally found it here and I watched. Thanks Mubi!

23. Sergey Belov's rating of the film A German Youth

24. anarresti's rating of the film A German Youth

Incredible documentary, that gives meaning to a whole lot more than its scope. Telling the story of the Red Army Faction, the film explains a lot of how German society made the transition from fascism to democracy. It shows the gap of generations, how the youth was more utopian and felt their parents were guilty. How radical utopians like the RAF transitioned from theory to direct action and then violent action.