1. FISCHER's rating of the film A King in New York

Chaplin règle ses comptes et l'addition est des plus féroces ..... www.cinefiches.com

2. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film A King in New York

Widely considered a lesser Chaplin film, I actually got a fair amount out of this one. It is surprisingly relevant to today with its side commentary on media culture and the prosthetic and plasticism that comes with keeping up your appearances in the TV world. It’s more prominent issue it deals with is McCarthyism, and it daringly attacks the notions that were popular at the time with Chaplin's political stamp.

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film A King in New York

Chaplin is hit or miss for me, but I was thoroughly surprised by this one. Entertaining from start to finish.

4. El Biffo's rating of the film A King in New York

A King in New York may not be Chaplin's most comical film, but it is close to my heart, and certainly has infinitely more substance than the shorts (1914-1920) which made his "Tramp" character famous around the world. This film, banned in an America whose artists were being persecuted by the viciously rabid "Red Scare", was Chaplin's retort. Of course, Americans were prevented from seeing it or hearing his

5. AdrianM.'s rating of the film A King in New York

6. Albrecht B. Christoph's rating of the film A King in New York

7. msmichel's rating of the film A King in New York

The rare Chaplin that falls flat. Chaplin indicted the McCarthy Witch Trials here with this rightful attack against the so-called 'house on un-american activities'. The problem is dramatically and comically it often fails to engage past the curio level at this point. Even the style of humour seems already out of date for the time period it was made in. A weak performance by Chaplin doesn't help.

8. CafeGradiva's rating of the film A King in New York

9. mjgildea's rating of the film A King in New York

3 1/2 out of 5 stars. An alright Chaplin that is hysterical at times (namely Rupert's tirade when he's introduced) but mostly sets up potentially great bits then quickly abandons them. The plastic surgery sequence seemed dated & unnecessary, but the biggest disappointment is the end that quickly and neatly ties itself up with little effort. A King in New York isn't a bad movie, just a lackluster Chaplin one.

10. Lorna Singh's rating of the film A King in New York

In many ways,still relevant today and should be rediscovered. Michael Chaplin is great as the politically conscious schoolboy.

11. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film A King in New York

strong humour but weak finale.

12. LifeofFiction's rating of the film A King in New York

Not the greatest of Chaplin's talkies, but damn it all if I wasn't entertained the whole time.

13. Endless Eye's rating of the film A King in New York

Chaplin's son is great! Aspects of this film are sadly far too relevant for us today, should we aspire to take the time and watch this charming flick. Take for example the issues of: plastic surgery, embedded advertisement, suspicions of a government and the inequalities inherent in our social structures. Comedy has always been the best way to wage a subversive attack. Although more overt here, Chaplin never lost it.

14. Michael Harbour's rating of the film A King in New York

A bit self-indulgent and lacking the snap of Chaplin at his best, but historically interesting and consistently amusing.

15. AKFilmFan's rating of the film A King in New York

You can see the parallels between the film and Chaplin's personal life but it isn't cynical. For his last film in a starring role, this doesn't disappoint.