1. ginobartolomi's rating of the film A Man Escaped

the title is literally the ending and it still remains one of the most suspenseful experiences I have ever had

2. sicagabri's rating of the film A Man Escaped

3. tou+serious's rating of the film A Man Escaped

e é tudo, e são as sombras e o brilho da colher a lascar a porta. este foi o meu segundo Bresson, tão importante como o primeiro (Le Diable, Probablement) e começo a pensar que ao contrário do que sempre ouvi dizer, não são as mãos mas sim os olhos. e o som!!!!! são os offs. é aquela chavinha a bater nas escadas. Penso que Bresson é o único cineasta que de ser tão humano é quase divino.

4. symisz-licht's rating of the film A Man Escaped

5. MisterColo93's rating of the film A Man Escaped

6. Joel's rating of the film A Man Escaped

My fourth attempt at Bresson. A director I always feel I must love, but come away with a deeply mixed experience. On the one hand, it appears I bring too much to the table for his films, and perhaps this one was one of the more compelling watches, though much simpler and maximally minimalist in it's approach. I'm just not sure what to take away from the viewing. As a spiritual master his lessons are lost on me.

7. Genadijus L.'s rating of the film A Man Escaped

Captivating storytelling and integral aestetic by Robert Bresson and breathtaking turn (almost like an apparition) by the unforgetable François Leterrier playing the story of desperate lieutenant Fontaine. One of the most memorable classic cinema views this year!

8. jewelsofglory's rating of the film A Man Escaped

I adore this film. It’s probabaly one of the first of the new wave and truely stands the test of time.

9. Richard Tines's rating of the film A Man Escaped

Bresson always oozes empathy, and made the prison escape genre actually interesting to me... Keeps you on your toes till the very end with his other complementary strength, suspense... shows even a wooden door can be an effective character....

10. Ben Nash's rating of the film A Man Escaped

Some of the best sound design in all of cinemadom.

11. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film A Man Escaped

12. hubertguillaud's rating of the film A Man Escaped

Il n'est pas si simple d'être courageux, rappelle Robert Bresson dans ce film ultra-minimaliste, épuré, où tout est suggéré. Une succession de plans taillés au cordeau suffisent à graver l'inflexibilité de la détermination. Une morne voix-off suffit à créer de l'empathie. L'austérité même suffit à créer le suspens. Bref, parfaitement dépouillé et magistral.

13. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film A Man Escaped

14. Pelin Şahin's rating of the film A Man Escaped

"...haydutların öldüreceği, gece ormanda kesecekleri halde hala umutla bağıran, yalvaran insanlara rastlanır. oysa burada(idam) ölümü on kat daha kolaylaştıracak son umudu yıkıyorlar. ortada bir karar vardır, kaçma, kurtulma umudu yok olmuştur. hiç bir şey yapamamanın, umutsuzluğun acısı da her acıdan daha güçlüdür." Dostoyevski,Budala

15. dordairobert's rating of the film A Man Escaped

16. Cindy's rating of the film A Man Escaped

still think back to this years after the first watch. oddly fitting that the lead actor resembles ian curtis...calls to mind also rilke's poem "the panther". bresson arrested - in deceptively minimalist strokes - the disquietude in condemnation and rapture in escape

17. Luca Angelini's rating of the film A Man Escaped

18. captainfez's rating of the film A Man Escaped

19. tintinmugshot's rating of the film A Man Escaped

The way that Bresson builds up the tension and keep it until the end is a work of a master, with minimal resources like dialogues, lack of music and scenarios, giving space to the regular and sincere sounds of a prison's life. One of the best movies ever made, visceral, rough, breathing. If this is not pure cinema, I don't know what it is.

20. VincentVendetta's rating of the film A Man Escaped

As much as I admired Bresson theory through the years, his distaste for simple filmed theatre, I always wondered: why does his characters talk so much? And then I realized: a theory without humanity is not worth living in. Fontaine fights against the silence ("Pas parler!"), he fights against the limits of the cell, he fights to keep his identity. In the end, he fights to leave the frame, to live away from our view.

21. Lex Lucas's rating of the film A Man Escaped

Bresson's minimalist action and absolute control give this story a transcendantal glow on both inner and physical senses. We feel every steps in the character's evasion, every obstacles and every danger with a perfect rythm.

22. Galou's rating of the film A Man Escaped

L'histoire d'un homme qui s'échappe. Presque une évasion documentaire, mais où on ne retrouve pas la poésie d'un Pickpocket.

23. Sol Petchorine's rating of the film A Man Escaped