1. FISCHER's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Puissant et magistral ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Aardsy's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

3. Andrew Miller's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Saw this in high school, long ago-- it now has musty associations... homework, flat classroom discussion, zero interest in image or texture, passing the test. But I know there's more going on here.

4. Kyle Knapp's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Splendid, consistent, conscientious, real, and perfectly stoic, just like its hero. Scofield, with that inimitable voice, is perfect in one of the most exquisitely controlled performances ever filmed. Hurt was a real find, perfectly despicable as he grasps blindly for a conscience, and Hiller lends the right note of gruff acidity to balance her almost maddeningly even-keeled husband. Beautifully shot outdoor scenes.

5. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

More's story is incredible and immensely inspirational, but I've never been able to call myself a fan of this film. The dialogue is flowery and the tone is ceaselessly formal, to the point where it lessens the emotional impact that the story should have. I've never cared for Scofield faux-Shakespearian approach to his performance, and I found Shaw's acting to be erratic and hammy.

6. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Un film datato. La forza della coerenza, nel 1966 leggibile come appoggio a chi Oltrecortina resisteva alle pressioni imposte dalla dittatura, l'apologia di un martire cristiano nell'Inghilterra anglicana, la pesantezza dei dialoghi... stemperano l'abilità degli attori (tra cui un sempre grande Welles). Perdibile

7. Keith Fletcher's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Another of my favourite films of all time. About never giving up your personal beliefs for what is the popular thing to do.

8. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Entertaining as hell to watch, the visuals, dialogue, and performance by Paul Scofield are particularly delicious. You should especially watch it if you're simply in the mood to watch Robert Shaw, as Henry VIII, lose his shit.

9. Joe Morton's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

The visual style influenced Stanley Kubrick, with lots of still shots (gargoyles and the prows of boats.) Lots of atmospheric shots of water and the woods. Not particularly effective here... Kubrick makes great use of these, and other elements in "2001..." and "The Shining." I think some of the shots of the woods and plants influenced Tarkovsky. But Zinnemenn's weeds are much easier to take then Tarkovsky's...

10. tnzk's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Stunning screenplay about England's greatest lawyer and citizen.

11. Daniel S.'s rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Six Academy awards and four Golden Globes. This is solid stuff. Thomas More, the firm Honest Man, against Henry VIII and his weathercocks. I like a lot the way Fred Zinnemann describes this antagonism by opposing during the whole film More's well-grounded mansion and Henry VIII's frail barks. Note how much the director insists on Henry VIII and his sycophants' difficulty to reach the riverside. Highly recommended.

12. Dave's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Just an-all around solid film to me. Don't know particularly what to point out...so really not the most helpful post I have ever made to MUBI!

13. Roscoe's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

Well acted, mainly, but the filmmaking is pedestrian, at best. And expecting me to feel pity for Thomas More being hideously executed when he'd himself had so many others executed for such hideous crimes as owning English language versions of the Bible doesn't exactly work.

14. Andhika Eka Buana's rating of the film A Man for All Seasons

gotta agree with Mike comment. this is one of the worst best picture winner of Oscar, in my opinion.