1. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film A Man There Was

Sjostrom marked his legacy with this film, as many of its shots have been remade throughout film history and it clearly left an impact on Bergman.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film A Man There Was

You finally did it, you maniacs!

3. El Biffo's rating of the film A Man There Was

4. FISCHER's rating of the film A Man There Was

Rareté bienvenue du puissant Viktor Sjöström, quelquefois projetée en festivals... www.cinefiches.com

5. Log Lady's rating of the film A Man There Was

I'm not sure which score I watched this with, but it was incredibly beautiful (the sound of waves added in), and together with the haunting imagery it evoked the kind of atmosphere of which Sjöström would have been proud. Amazing acting from him, I might add! Obviously, since the film is an illustrated version of the poem, the story is very simple, but simplicity has never been as tear-inducing.

6. suede's rating of the film A Man There Was

Incredible. 9/10. || With the best score—eerie, minimal, often atonal, merged with sound effects—that I've ever heard to a silent. It's an inextricable part of the work of art I'm rating. "Musik av Matti Bye med Kristian Holmgren", recorded 2007. Watch this even if you never dreamt of watching a silent. (We need more humble glockenspiel in silents! Not overbearing, moronic piano scores!)

7. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film A Man There Was

8. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film A Man There Was

Filme sostenido por el giro clásico del cine mudo: el reencuentro con el pasado como medio de prueba moral.

9. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film A Man There Was

compare attitudes with lumet's pawnbroker.

10. AKFilmFan's rating of the film A Man There Was

A simple and tragic story that is surprisingly uplifting. Sjostrom directs and act wonderfully in this film whose theme is nature vs. civilization.

11. Tariq Rafiq's rating of the film A Man There Was

For a film made in 1917, this is remarkable. The acting feels very subtle and modern and the majority of scenes seem to be staged outside with a camera that doesn't feel tied to the floor. The story is incredibly moving and the ending had me welling up with tears. This is silent cinema at its best. Need to see the lead/director in his most famous acting role, Bergman's Wild Strawberries.

12. Frank's rating of the film A Man There Was

Very impressive, especially when you consider the time it was made. I had only seen the Phantom Chariot, but this one is at least as good as the Phantom Chariot.

13. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film A Man There Was

A pretty fun and well-made movie. I greatly prefer it to the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

14. Robert Regan's rating of the film A Man There Was

Sjostrom was a great filmmaker, and what an actor! Who else could have played the lead in Wild Strawberries?

15. Kai White's rating of the film A Man There Was

I don't think I can express how much I like this movie.

16. cineaster's rating of the film A Man There Was

shot on the island of Öja (Landsort).