1. T. J. Harman's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

A strange but nice mix of old fashioned values and hallucinatory visuals. Underrated P&P.

2. Ingrid Hoeben's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, aka The Archers on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?sk=ff#!/groups/151541771615779/

3. meth_'s rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

So pretty. For the full review repeat the last sentence 12 times.

4. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

I love Roger Livesy. The special effects must have been innovative for the day, huh? It's still kind of impressive, even today. Fun film.

5. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

When a British soldier cheats death during WWII, he is granted a heavenly trial to argue that his life should be extended on the grounds that during his extra time he fell in love. Beautiful technicolor cinematography by Jack Cardiff (his first feature film), and brilliant direction by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, A MATTER LIFE AND DEATH is one of cinema's great emotional spectacles.

6. Abigail Alvarez's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Watching it right now, this film is funny and odd at times!!

7. tony1990's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

What suprises me the most is its raw imaginitive ambition. From the content of the story to the visual architecture, this is cinema at one of its most expressive pinnacles.

8. Material Salva+ion's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

This is Cinema at its best! i can't believe that i haven't come across this stunning, unique master work earlier! What a feast for the senses!...I didn't recover yet from the supremacy of it all! Never the subject of love and battle beetween life and death has been aproached so originally and gracefully in the big screen as in this film...It surelly is one of the greatest among the greatest gems in Film ever...

9. danhofstra's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Remarkable...completely blown out of the water by this

10. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

magical, endearing, delightful, funny, witty, insightful dialogue....everything films are missing these days...fantastic film

11. Rolph90's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Oh give me my scallop shell of quiet, my staff of faith to walk upon, my strip of joy immortal diet, my bottle of salvation, my gallon? of glory hopes true gage and thus I’ll take my pilgrimage. Sir Walter Raleigh wrote that, I’d rather have written that than flown through Hitler’s legs.

12. Tara Violet's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

13. chanandre's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

[Cinémathèque PT #299: 35 mm]

14. Dave's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

The kind of uplifting cinematic experience that cinema buffs live for but rarely discover. One to be cherished.

15. NauticalNun's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

The only movie that rivals "A Matter of Life and Death" in terms of quickest sob factor is Pixar's "Up." A supremely romantic movie with a clever take on the afterlife.

16. Nosada's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Splendid, charming little tug-o'-war between life and death.

17. Blake GOBLE's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Not merely a great film, but I would argue, that this is the best first 10 minutes of any film I've seen. Out of the cosmos, comes a scared David Niven, going down and falling in love. All of it handsomely, perfectly captured. An oddly optimistic story.

18. Spencer Draper's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Stunningly beautiful-absolutely essential viewing. This is true cinema.

19. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film A Matter of Life and Death

Imaginative fantasy romance is another classic from the filmmaking team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. After a strong opening, it does slow down considerably, but strong performances, an original story, and continually surprising imagery keep it compelling. Excellent score by Allan Gray.

1 2 4 Next →