1. P D Dawson's rating of the film À nos amours

A delicately shot and vibrantly filmed movie that shows the tensions within a familial setting on the brink of change and separation. We are shown sibling rivalry and parental violence, and the young Suzanne, played by Sandrine Bonnaire, is wonderfully affecting and manages to invoke empathy in us through her innocent rebellion and her first steps into adulthood.

2. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film À nos amours

Bonnaire and Pialat himself are extraordinary. Personally I found Ker and Besnehard a bit grating at times, especially at their most hysterical, which rather detracted from a couple of important scenes. Nonetheless I can see why this has become regarded as such a classic.

3. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film À nos amours

4. Levi Miah's rating of the film À nos amours

Nostalgic cinematography and a seamless passing of time are the spine of Pialat's coming-of-age masterpiece that riffs on female liberation and familial dysfunction caused by archaic, possessive male behaviour. Bonnaire, with a commanding performance, exudes subtle power in every scene. Suzanne is a force to be reckoned with, not just an innocent, naive girl, but a self-aware, thinking, feeling, loving human being.

5. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film À nos amours

"You think you're in love, but you just want to be loved."

6. Juan Javier's rating of the film À nos amours

7. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film À nos amours

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film À nos amours

Remembers me Cassavetes. Fantastic drama about unstable characters and their shells.

9. azoulay's rating of the film À nos amours

Pialat prend tous les risques et c'est sa force. Ici il nous fait pénétrer dans la violence quotidienne d'une famille où l'amour n'est pas. Et la réplique provoque les tremblements de l'héroine magnifiquement incarnée par Sandrine Bonnaire. C'est dur et bouleversant ce constat d'échec à l'intérieur de la cellule familiale, comme un cancer incurable. Mise en scène prodigieuse.

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film À nos amours

At times quite bleak and depressing, this manages to stay watchable thanks to the lead performance from Sandrine Bonnaire. It's a heady mix of youthful rebelllion, household tensions, and general misanthropy.

11. nilsamund@gmail.com's rating of the film À nos amours

Exited after a few minutes. But I have a question. From which drama og book are the acresses quoting in the very beginning.

12. Blue Roses's rating of the film À nos amours

13. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film À nos amours

Affected me a lot. This is a character study of a superfluous young lady, a mix between Onegin and Madame Bovary. I say the latter because Suzanne is a romantic who bases her idea of love on what she reads, which in the beginning is a play by Musset. I have been led astray by women like her, and I believe Pialat has too. Sensual and dangerous, but naive and maybe even dense. Perfect.

14. Vincent Balcer's rating of the film À nos amours

Décousu, mal joué, quel est l'intérêt de ce film ?

15. McOpinionated's rating of the film À nos amours

People that don't like each other, or the protagonist Susanne, much (her family and sexual partners) + her friends. They argue, f**k, and sm*ke :-) This is the opposite of domestic bliss and a happy life. She's maybe going to have a great life, because she's got the spunk to escape - or maybe these destructive and self-destructive patterns will atrophy her spirit. Memorable. Scary power exudes from gauche Bonnaire.

16. captainfez's rating of the film À nos amours

The Klaus Nomi theme is the warmest thing here.

17. Zachariah Rigby's rating of the film À nos amours

"They fuck you up, your mum and dad / They may not mean to, but they do / They fill you with the faults they had / And add some extra, just for you." Bonnaire is seductive, sympathetic, nihilistic, incredible... And stunning cinematography, which looks about fifteen years ahead of it's time.

18. Edward Morris's rating of the film À nos amours

You might not like us Maurice but we like you

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film À nos amours

20. samuraiargento's rating of the film À nos amours

35 años después la película sigue viva, firme, conmocionante.¿es tan dificil amar?

21. eberhard's rating of the film À nos amours

So true, it hurts. A fragile equation without root.

22. msmichel's rating of the film À nos amours

Sandrine Bonnaire gives a star making performance here in her screen debut. Pialat's tale of a young girl unable to be happy or love, who lives lover to lover, is a well written script buoyed by solid performances. The underlying tone of incest takes away from the film and seems out of place. Pialat plays the father here quite masterfully.

23. Boyuan123's rating of the film À nos amours

OMG THIS FILM IS A COMING OF AGE MASTERPIECE!!!

24. Clarisse Lemaitre's rating of the film À nos amours

Merci Pialat, merci Pialat, merci Pialat pour ces amours transcrits à l'écran, lui qui fait parler la caméra avec son coeur, sans se soucier des réprobateurs froids et jaloux.

← Previous 1 3 4