1. elenagallen's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

More theatrical than cinematic. Excess of tedious dialogue and voice over don't leave enough space for the filmic language to unravel properly allowing us to access our lead poetically – and not intellectually. Cinema is poetry but it must use its own language.

2. superjano's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Sentido estético, diálogos densos y una sublime interpretación de Cynthia Nixon que le hace expiar su culpa por haber participado en ese atentado contra los derechos humanos (y no humanos) que es "Sexo en NY". Maravillosa, como la poesía de Dickinson.

3. Meriç Aksu's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

4. Daniel Iván's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

What a terrible waste of a subject. This could have been a delicious portrait of a delicious artist and turned out to be a dull, boring, tasteless caricature of a sort of hysterical madness gone very wrong. I would say the failure lies in every corner of it: the script, the lack of direction, the lousy editing, the absolute absence of any cinematographic beauty... A shame. Total lack of poetry, I acuse.

5. matelot's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

6. Namaste's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

7. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

this world is not conclusion.

8. Renton47's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

A part of me loves that Kanye would respect this film - knowing that for some capital-A Artists the experience of living evokes too much. Too much beauty, too much insight, too much suffering. And yet Davies alludes me, the scenes keep coming at a monotone pitch of dialogue and episodes, moving to inevitability. Yet still, the moral seriousness I find affecting, and something in his scope will see me revisit 2.5

9. Will Linhares's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

pretty fucking good actually

10. squid's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Despite all his formal flaws this movie didn't disappoint me.

11. melly's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Pleasantly theatrical in its writing, uncomfortably real in its depiction of the human experience (to include susceptibility to the march of time and those most ugly of human conditions--illness, death, old maidhood). It is incredibly refreshing in both respects. I know little of Dickenson's work, nor do I even like it based on the prose recited in the movie; yet I now count her along my most close literary friends.

12. C's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

a conflicted 4...doesn't have much to do w/ Emily Dickinson, but that's fine; was in a lot of pain for the first half+ bc almost everyone sounded like they were making fun of how actors might overact how they think people sounded in the 19th century ie an awful pageant (and then Emily and others will speak in a more normal voice in different settings so it's at least half intentional?) high highs and very low lows

13. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

This artist biopic ought to be one of Terence Davies's more accessible movies (and it is in many ways since there is more humor in it than you would expect) but it is also a gut-wrenching film due to the main performance which I had not been prepared for. I was expecting a cold beautiful aesthetic but I got so much more with Cynthia Nixon. I can't believe there can be a better performance given this year.

14. Jason's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Though a fastidiously composed and serious work of art (that at times reminded me of the highest heights of Max Ophüls), I feel I must attribute to Davies here a kind of undercurrent of sniggering remove in his treatment of an American subject; far from being a liability, this indirectly caused me to feel champagne-drunk and giddy for the first two-thirds. Helps that Dickinson is impossibly dear to me.

15. Warren Spratley's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

16. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Melancholic about the dry, digital look, the idea that a budget this small would have been unthinkable about a decade ago. But Davies works those tight spaces, and entrances with deep dives into expressionism. On the comedy: while the characterization is convincing, the delivery doesn't inspire laughter. The last, Flaubertian, act treats death with respect and makes up for the loss. Nixon awes with her sharp angles.

17. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

5/10. A QUIET PASSION feels somewhat stiff and very wordy. Much of the time, it plays like a less sharp comedy of manners, though it is isn't really a comedy--the film is punctuated at regular intervals by deaths of key characters. The overall effect is one that doesn't quite work. Some amazing moments though: the aging effect is spooky, and Dickinson's awkward tea with the preacher and his wife is incredibly funny.

18. Hazel Cills's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Really appreciated how everyone was on the verge of tears at all times.

19. Ulrich JARLØV's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

I did not care for it. It reminded me of late period Dreyer; beautiful compositions and tracking shots, but stale, with lots of stilted acting and dialogue. The still could be a Vilhelm Hammershøi-painting!

20. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

21. Cartaphilus's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

22. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Davies directs the hell out of this. Poets are emotionally manipulative monsters!

23. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Riveting, literate, enraged, bitter, humane and with a simply astonishing rhapsodic sequence to the accompaniment of The First I Ever Saw Your Face.

24. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film A Quiet Passion

Emily’s poetry is as honest as “A Quiet Passion”, another compelling move from Terence Davies and a classy entry in his refined, selected filmography. (3.5 stars)