1. NCMBianchi's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

2. speedball's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

3. Malt Frisky's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

The rotoscoping looks great but I feel there's a wasted opportunity for a film that's primarily a drug trip. The scenes with Freck are great with the bugs and alien so why does the rest of the film feel flat. Speaking of which the leads are an example of a comedown, Ryder and Reeves are boring and Harrelson seems to have wandered into the wrong film. Downey puts in a decent performance to stop you nodding off.

4. muh.'s rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Loved the rotoscoping but somehow didn't clicked with me.

5. Giles J Davis's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Linklater executes the pain & empathy portrayed in Dick's story perfectly. As a Texan, Linklater melds the science-fiction of Dick's work with the very real war on drugs & all it's casualties & the ever increasing security states that we in the West now live under. Poignant, dream-like & sad, A Scanner Darkly allegorically depicts the loss of identity as social politics & technology continue to consume our existence

6. Adam Whybray's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

2.5 stars. Like 'Waking Life' if all the talking heads were utterly blitzed. A more authentic insight to the druggie experience than the likes of 'Reqium for a Dream', though the upshot of this means the film probably benefits from the viewer's experience being similarly altered.

7. Thomas Dods's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

The visual style is great and there is a great paranoid atmosphere. Let down by some frustrating stoner characters who are not fun to spend time with and an unfocused script (though I admit the book is no different).

8. DSPRKY's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Batshit paranoia. Good.

9. bartkl's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

While being immersed in a druggy reality that feels increasingly absurd and comical, you are presented with a minimally worked out, paranoid dystopia, leaving the viewer puzzled in a vibe of mystery. The visual style is like in "Waking Life", but less hysterical, suiting this film's atmosphere well, more specifically enabling neat rendering of the scramble suit. A new type of Linklater, yet still very much his style.

10. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Stories about the drug war don't really age. Same with stories about people.

11. nyyssonen's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

I was sceptical of this film because the book seemed unadabtable. I'm not sure I really got a lot out of watching it, but hats off to everyone involved in making it for pulling that off.

12. jonijtr's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Loved the performance, especially from Keanu (Yeah, he do a great job) and RDJ steal the show while he's on the screen

13. La Boracherie's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Un procédé unique, seul véritable intérêt du film

14. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

An excellent and truly unique piece of film-making

15. smndvdcl's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Divine rotoscoping but not quite as compelling as 'Waking Life' for that pseud inside us all aching for intellectual food.

16. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

17. edpwilson's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

“What does a scanner see? he asked himself. I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me - into us - clearly or darkly?"

18. ikkini's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

20. Word...Life's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

21. Siaudebert's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Impressive performance visually, excellent story of PK Dick

22. dave gunn's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

The cool rotoscoping animation style adds to the mindfuck of a political thriller this turns out to be. Rampant deceit, drug-addled rants, and hallucinations make it hard to follow until everything comes together towards the end. Sadly, this fictitious dystopia mirrors our current situation with the drug war today.

23. DMW's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

24. linuskendall's rating of the film A Scanner Darkly

Probably enjoyed this mostly because of the animation style.

← Previous 1 3 4