1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film A Serious Man

I love Lebowski, but this is a masterpiece. The way they juggle so many different elements and make them all relate to a central philosophical quandary is amazing. Nothing is spelled out. You could write your doctoral thesis on this movie. I think this one broke their brain, because everything since this movie has been pretty weak.

2. NUGA's rating of the film A Serious Man

The Coen Brothers, created their (probably) most mature work to date, sacrificing, not their style, but much of their watchability for a surprisingly complex fundamentalist satire with a very palpable Coenist (Coenian?) paint brush. It feels like this work made primarily out of pure emotion from the brothers which was then rationalized but not fully suppressed. A fine addition to their repertoire but not their best.

3. uenus's rating of the film A Serious Man

un chavo del ocho judío que quiere saber

4. Capela's rating of the film A Serious Man

5. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film A Serious Man

Un'intelligente reinterpretazione Coeniana della comicità ebrea di stampo religioso, che ruota incessantemente attorno all'obbligata rassegnazione che un credo impone nel non avere una risposta logica a tutto. Rimane ciononostante una storia incompleta, un complesso di sottotrame più o meno irrisolte, forse per uno scopo narrativo che non ho colto o forse per semplice incapacità di dare al tutto un finale degno.

6. Adam Whybray's rating of the film A Serious Man

A fable about living mindfully w/ indeterminacy with my favourite Coens score by Carter Burwell.

7. Ethan's rating of the film A Serious Man

This is one of the more underrated films from The Coen Brothers and it has a very intimate feel and a lot of Jefferson Airplane.

8. tri ...'s rating of the film A Serious Man

9. Didier Pigeon-Perreault's rating of the film A Serious Man

10. adam's rating of the film A Serious Man

11. -REM-'s rating of the film A Serious Man

12. mac le mac's rating of the film A Serious Man

13. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film A Serious Man

Just a really funny way to illustrate that our suffering is pointless and without purpose. Lawrence's life just gets more and more hilarious to watch as it continually falls apart, mainly because he takes no stance to change what happens to him; rather he passively relies on divine intervention to make sense of it all.

14. Several Giraffes's rating of the film A Serious Man

This movie had a message that was very important for me to hear.

15. MGeo's rating of the film A Serious Man

This is definitely the most puzzling of all the Coen brothers movies I've seen. It's definitely their most obtuse one. I think I might have to revisit this one at some point, because I wasn't prepared for how steeped in symbolism and subtlety it is and so I can't pontificate on it. That said, I won't be able to revisit it for a while though, because it was such a disquieting experience.

16. Renton47's rating of the film A Serious Man

There's nothing more arrogant than artists highlighting the inherent ambiguity of their own art. The Coen's construct a film of vivid and wonderful mysteries that they then repeatedly undermine the importance of. Worse, they give you a present and berate you for opening it. Despite themselves there is a lot to love here, not least for the ways people looking for answers can further their frustration with life.

17. DenoResandono's rating of the film A Serious Man

I'm sorry, I had trouble to understand this movie. But I enjoyed some dark humor in it...

18. ammar's rating of the film A Serious Man

19. Luca Casilli's rating of the film A Serious Man

20. galuh indri's rating of the film A Serious Man

"Very troubling.... Very troubling..."

21. Jack McKevitt's rating of the film A Serious Man

An exquisite portrait of a man befuddled the events happening around him and going to extreme lengths to quantify his situation. In under two hours the Coens create a world which can offer up any number of interpretations, and then bring it to a close with an ending which gave me pause for thought about the way I live my entire life.

22. Adèle Vivet's rating of the film A Serious Man

L'humour des frères Coen ne m'a cette fois-ci pas du tout touché. Le film m'a semblé long, et l'ironie inaccessible.

23. bagno's rating of the film A Serious Man