1. Roy Deckard's rating of the film A Serious Man

"When the truth is found to be lies and all the hope within you dies. Then what?"

2. Narida Xana's rating of the film A Serious Man

Dentist scene was astonishing.

3. analeorne's rating of the film A Serious Man

this gave me so much anxiety.

4. Superfrog's rating of the film A Serious Man

The hammering of a weak character by their environment, interceded with voluntarily ridiculous plot devices. In the end I am unsure why anything is there.

5. caro's rating of the film A Serious Man

I do dig the characters, it is so well played and beautifully filmed but I couldn't get into the movie. i simply think that it's not my kind of humour...

6. mis marg's rating of the film A Serious Man

Agonies piling onto ineptitude. ouch. This man is buried by ineffective everything in his life. Even at the end more piles in. What , in fact, just happened?

7. McOpinionated's rating of the film A Serious Man

a subverted dreamy imaginary-past suburban Americana setting, a series of set pieces and sketches that skitter across a range of topics and setting - centred on a man's life falling apart. It's just gorgeous to watch, hilarious, imaginative and surprising, rambling yet taught. It's certainly not all understandable or conclusive. Like life, eh? Interesting Jewish ethnic background also is thematic: fate & Job's tale.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film A Serious Man

An odd, and also oddly compelling, film from the Coen brothers, this is all about a man (played by Michael Stuhlbarg) who seems to be unable to stop his life from falling to pieces. No matter how hard he tries, he cannot find answers to the many problems that are starting to weigh hiim down. Which, as you might expect from the Coens, also leads to some twisted comedy.

9. depesando's rating of the film A Serious Man

You don't really need to engage fully with this film or have any connection to the lives and people here because every single performance, every gesture and every nuance is just perfect, even the tiniest things. Quite beautiful.

10. chloe's rating of the film A Serious Man

jewish sensibility at its finest. the bar mitzvah scene was amazing.

11. Byrne's rating of the film A Serious Man

This should have all the stars

12. 'king Harold's rating of the film A Serious Man

Everyones asleep from coming so hard to the Coens films it hardly matters what I think.

13. Ma-rewind's rating of the film A Serious Man

3.5. Un Coen qui ne ressemble pas trop à un Coen. Et un personnage qu'on a envie de prendre par les épaules et de secouer, secouer, secouer.....! Agréable et déroutant.

14. Dean Owen Jones's rating of the film A Serious Man

I'm not as huge a Coens fan as most people seem to be, and this film is very *them*: In other words it's somewhat empty, twitchy, understated, strangely unemotional, mildly amusing. I don't mean to damn them with faint praise, I just don't 'get' them in the same way other folks seem to. My deficiency perhaps, not theirs. Still, I watched this. It was beautifully put together of course, just, all of the above.

15. stanleykubrick's rating of the film A Serious Man

michael stuhlbarg really loves trying to help his sad gay family members

16. SiIencio's rating of the film A Serious Man

A very personal, nihilistic, idiosyncratic concept, the life of Job exploited to the summum with the cadence of a drip and the endurance of diamonds. A Serious Man is a very particular and intimate reflection that lacks broad appeal in its subject matter, its dry and subdued humour not enough to counteract the heaviness of its metaphysics.

17. macmartin70@yahoo.fr's rating of the film A Serious Man

une scène d'ouverture d'antologie

18. Stuart Metcalfe's rating of the film A Serious Man

Beautifully orchestrated confusion

19. Clarisse Lemaitre's rating of the film A Serious Man

Rien n'est grave chez les Coen, just "keep on the sunny side".

20. Chris sutton's rating of the film A Serious Man

Bad luck is only something that happens to other people. Me? I'm cursed. Much like their last film, No Country For Old Men, "existential malaise" is the central theme here. However, rather than open expanse of New Mexico we now have middle american suburbia; And moving the story to a more intimate setting has only brought focus to the proceedings. Expect po-faced irony. And lots of it!

21. Ramzi's rating of the film A Serious Man

Probably not old enough to fully appreciate

22. Mathias Baum's rating of the film A Serious Man

Absurde. Drole. Dérangeant. Cohen.

23. Ludovic72's rating of the film A Serious Man

Face à l'incertitude permanente de la vie, que peuvent faire le sérieux et la logique ? Pas grand chose, d'après les frères Coen... qui ont rarement aussi bien mixé la comédie, le drame et la réflexion existentielle. L'habileté avec laquelle ils illustrent - de plusieurs façons - le fameux paradoxe du chat de Schrödinger est étonnante, tout comme l'indécision inconfortable de la conclusion. "Acceptez le mystère"...

24. Laura Suffield's rating of the film A Serious Man

Really impressive in its depth, lightness of touch, true sadness and very funny moments.