1. richard1001's rating of the film A Simple Life

My favourite kind of movie. Unforgettable.

2. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film A Simple Life

Very sweet film about the bond that can develop between carer and charge, and how those roles can be reversed by a twist of fate.

3. Steve G.'s rating of the film A Simple Life

4. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film A Simple Life

What a lovely film. A beautiful depiction of a meaningful relationship between a man and the maid who had worked for his family for decades and is now old and becoming troubled by health problems. Made with a light touch, moments of joy, moments of sadness. And its very interesting to have a look at life in a care home in Hong Kong.

5. Marina Notaraki's rating of the film A Simple Life

Such a sweet & moving film. Loved the photography as well.

6. PanelSystem's rating of the film A Simple Life

The accumulation of quiet moments with a ring of truth outweighed any doubts I'd had about the sentimental piano score and obvious narrative trajectory. The film is a little uneven, and both characters perhaps too virtuous, but it surprises by refraining from overt judgment about Tao's role as a servant. It also takes Hong Kong for granted, for once seeing it with a human eye for local, specific truths.

7. Noëlle's rating of the film A Simple Life

such a moving and beautiful film

8. SiIencio's rating of the film A Simple Life

A tribute to those who unconditionally nurture and care for others, often beyond blood ties, and a deep reflection on the twilight of living and our preparedness to accomodate this chapter in our own lives. Deeply honest in its simplicity, truthful and truthful, never verging on lacrimal manipulation, convincing, subtly suggesting pathos, persuading to ponder about our own decline with due anticipation.

9. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film A Simple Life

Really enjoyed this powerful film, real tear jerker. Great Cast, with many guest appearances.

10. Harun Osmanovic's rating of the film A Simple Life

The cinematic version of Brel's "les vieux"... as beautiful and touching... and sad

11. anwoody's rating of the film A Simple Life

A little over-sentimental for my taste and the social commentary deflected by pathos and comedy.

12. Balthaz21's rating of the film A Simple Life

13. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film A Simple Life

Simple yet visually sophisticated, emotional but never manipulative. This is the best movie about old age I've ever seen.

14. msmichel's rating of the film A Simple Life

Sentimental, in the best sort of way, film from director Ann Hui that follows the relationship between a film producer and the nanny/servant who has always been in his life after she falls ill. An acting showcase for Deanie Ip (who won many accolades for this performance) and Andy Lau. In many hands this would have wound up saccharine or cloying but Hui guides this story with heartfelt precision.

15. Chocnut's rating of the film A Simple Life

Filed under "Films You Should See Every Five Years!"

16. Caitlin's rating of the film A Simple Life

This film is really about intimacy and connection and how familial bonds can form outside of blood relations. How do you take care of the person who has always taken care of you? Love is more than words. Love is action and love is on full display in this lovely movie.

17. Willyzacc's rating of the film A Simple Life

Un film touchant sur la relation entre cet homme populaire dans le monde du cinéma et sa "dame de maison" qui est dans sa famille depuis plusieurs générations. Qui parle de la vieillesse et de la société chinoise avec une douceur infinie. Entre humour et tristesse. Belle surprise.

18. JC's rating of the film A Simple Life

Incredibly subtle & moving performances from two screen legends - there's obvious chemistry in their relationship, and not surprising that Deanie Ip is his real-life godmother. A truly emotional experience and one I always can't wait to go back and revisit.

19. Maudy Puteri Agusdina's rating of the film A Simple Life

Andy Lau is still hot in this movie.... #lol

20. Armando's rating of the film A Simple Life

The scenes in the nursing home are extremely powerful in their extreme simplicity. This movie works as a wake-up call for all viewers. It reminds us of our fragility and insignificance. It had a therapeutic effect on me. The two lead actors are superb. The only negative thing is the sappy soundtrack that is there to remind you that what you're watching is really sad.

21. Alex's rating of the film A Simple Life

Again, gorgeous, dismantling, easy. I wish I could more easily comprehend how to make a film like this. Perhaps, the more films I watch like this the easier it will become.

22. Eric Rucker's rating of the film A Simple Life

Puts me in mind of Bill Forsyth: the gentle humanness and how much is said without saying it aloud or in underlined boldface, and how well the film reveals social realities in relation to individual interior truths. If only more directors left as much space and time available for actors to bloom slowly.

23. David R Williams's rating of the film A Simple Life

A warm wonderfully moving film about growing old and the passage of time and our passing out of this life. Andy Lau and Deanie Ip give great performances supported by an equally excellent cast. If a tear or two does not come to your eyes along the way - you are past redemption.

24. angela01's rating of the film A Simple Life

a touching and well directed film....a must watch that teaches us about life and to care and cherish our love ones and our elderly