1. SpacePirate's rating of the film A Special Day

Excellent cinematography here, from the fluid camera movement to the sepia saturated tone used throughout. Scola's film is gladly getting more attn lately thanks to Criterion release, as it deserves to be rediscovered. Mastroianni and Loren provide understated beautiful performances, some of the most memorable in either of their illustrious careers. A real masterpiece and a highlight of 70s world cinema. 5 easy stars

2. Aardsy's rating of the film A Special Day

3. ninchok's rating of the film A Special Day

This was a mesmerising cinematic experience. A beautiful story, beautiful acting and an overly beautiful imagery. The use of sepia is very much on point; over the course I had all kinds of hues evolving in my mind like moulds on an agar plate.

4. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film A Special Day

A homosexual and an anti-fascist? I see the appeal, Sophia Loren!

5. Arf's rating of the film A Special Day

-Signò com'è Hitler? -Ahhh bellissimo!

6. Ethan's rating of the film A Special Day

The cinematography is absolutely brilliant here, from the fluid camera movements to the stark and beautiful color of the film. Also Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren give stellar performances, proving that they were one of the greatest cinematic duos of all time and could play against type with just as much ease as if they were cast as type. A true masterpiece.

7. cihangir21's rating of the film A Special Day

8. Viginti_tres's rating of the film A Special Day

A sort of norm-cap comedy, where the world is mad and the only two sane people manage to find one another and spend a luxuriously banal day together. Not sure the third-act histrionics quite land, but an intriguing idea.

9. dordairobert's rating of the film A Special Day

10. Rocco's rating of the film A Special Day

As if the star wattage alone isn't enough to warrant a recommendation, the divine camera work, rich sepia tone, and grotty set-dressing make for a uniquely intoxicating atmosphere of melancholy and malaise. Loren and Mastroianni are perfection personified and the constant droning of the parade celebrating Hitler's 1938 visit to Rome underscoring their scenes is a stroke of genius. A potent masterpiece.

11. Mario Lipuma's rating of the film A Special Day

12. Stefano Pedrocchi's rating of the film A Special Day

What a touch. For several reasons (first of all the use of sound), one of the most innovative films I have seen. It is always powerful, though never getting overstated. The love scene is gold. At least as much as the transition to the next scene.

13. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film A Special Day

14. ughchenausea's rating of the film A Special Day

"come in un sogno quando vuoi gridare e non ci riesci perché ti manca il respiro. però ho voglia di parlare, parlare, parlare! te ne accorgi, vero? oppure che ti devo dire, scendere nella strada, fermare il primo sconosciuto e raccontargli tutti i fatti miei, ma fino a spaventarlo, a scandalizzarlo, a menargli, sì, fargli del male! qualunque cosa, piuttosto che stare solo in questa casa che odio."

15. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film A Special Day

As much as I struggle I will never really appreciate Scola's directions. Except a couple of exceptional movies, the rest never really struck any nerve on me, leaving me cold as hell on topics that I love to see represented.

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film A Special Day

17. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film A Special Day

18. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film A Special Day

19. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film A Special Day

Che dire? Grazie. Bravi attori, bella regia, bello lo spunto (il primo film a parlare di omosessualità in Italia non in tema caricaturale e denuncia di quanto sia terribilmente falsa l'idea che "Si stava meglio quando si stava peggio"). Storia di due marginali sotto il fascismo. Da vedere e rivedere. Restauro della cineteca nazionale di Roma magnifico

20. Maria Vieira's rating of the film A Special Day

21. rainerfloo's rating of the film A Special Day

Loren seduces gay guy Mastroianni: that's a heat we cannot yet measure with our crude technologies. Fast forward the opening news reel the moment you get the point, because it goes on for a long long time.

22. greers's rating of the film A Special Day

the dream team never fails to amaze me

23. Superfrog's rating of the film A Special Day

Reminiscent of my familial history, a good description of the historical realities of the time sustained through a somewhat hollow romantic intrigue...

24. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film A Special Day

This is a bizarre film. Dolefully filmed in pseudo-period sepia and clumsily dubbed into wooden English in Canada, Sophia Loren is a dowdy frustrated housewife and Marcello Mastroianni is a depressed poofter; the least realistic casting ever and the least likely couple to have an on-screen bonk.