1. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

The camera feels like a necessity...

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

3. Elizabeth Murphy's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

I didn't bond with any of the characters at all, in fact I couldn't wait until it was finished. The long shots drove me crazy, painful.

4. Kaonashiii's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Meditative, certainly. And quite beautiful.

5. Matt's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

6. raggiodisole's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

The search for meaning continues....

7. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Some really stunning cinematography here, that's for sure, but other than that I'm not really sure what to say about this film. Some of the long takes are just too slow to hold my attention span, which makes it difficult to stay focused.

8. Jason's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Two titans of the avant garde cine-dirge bring us a new kind of reservedly ecstatic descent into psychospiritual hinterlands. Having watched films by both, I have often noticed a kinship w/ the Werner Herzog who most consistently finds himself approaching fuzzy horizons where documentary and fiction melt together. I feel like Fata Morgana, especially, is a big influence for both Russell and Rivers. A real trip.

9. tjieu's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Where the first part is quite interesting and reminded me of the work done by Marker on Sunless, its appeal quickly and drastically diminishes once the film leaves the commune setting to focus on the meandering of its character. At this point, and for the remaining two thirds, the film does offer some beautiful and often compelling images but its tone feels incredibly forced and its message suffers in the process.

10. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

11. msmichel's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Ethno-trance film from co-directors Russell and Rivers that follows Robert A.A. Lowe through three very different ways of living in Estonia, Finland and Norway. Communal living; solitary foraging; and playing in a death metal band! Rewarding for some, deathly dull for others.

12. George B's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Could not get through this. The first part with the naked hippies was alright. Then the guy is in his little canoe for like 10 minutes. Oh we also watch him read a book. Then we look at some ants. More boat. Now he's hiking. Now let's stare at some plants for a while. Now he plays in a band. Kill me. Seriously.

13. A-H-H-H's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

4 stars, but the damned synopsis is so misleading that it's demoted to 3 stars. "Golden Hour", "northern lights", "pagan reenactors", "failed communes", "arctic hermits", all missing from the film, or at least I never saw them. The description makes the film sound like a pilgrimage to find a spell, a journey through all these places and more, but a good hour in and you're still lingering around the commune.

14. josh scam's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

the first section of this film would be a 5 star short

15. AdrianM.'s rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

nice little blerk mertl performance though

16. 30equals's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

It's probably me as this seems to get raving reviews all over the place. I'm all for slow, misanthropic and thoughtful cinema, but i just didn't feel this one. The first part was my favorite as the the other two just don't feel genuine to me.

17. Dries's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Mi dispiace ma non ci siamo proprio....

18. paxy's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

19. Francesco Tonelli's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

No idea why i stopped listening to black metal.

20. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

It still stands in my top 10 films of all time. Transcendent work, and a masterful collaboration between two of the most interesting auteurs in film today. From the outset in which is most likely my favourite scene in narrative cinema, the shimmering reflections as night becomes, to the beautiful solitude and landscapes, to the lingering camera and beautifully captured BM gig and the faces of the crowd. An experience

21. klofter's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

I'm unconvinced by the communal living/loneliness in the woods/catharsis through music trifecta. And while it's comparatively easy to make majestic nature look good on screen, the rather pedestrian camera work in the first and last sequences really put the lack of meaningful happenstance front and center. Kind of a chore to get through but a noble failure nonetheless.

22. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Some reviewers have called this an ode to black metal, its trace-link purging and howls of innate pain. This film is much more -- an elemental, innate rejection of the darkness of life's boundaries for the wide screen of nature and the peace found when those trappings are removed. Thee long shots of forests and the awakenings of the spirit world set this apart; the avant garde directors are also rejecting convention.

23. aubfuscate's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

I was so into the pensiveness of the first half, and then the 1000 year long metal scene ruined it for me.

24. tintinmugshot's rating of the film A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness

Really, really interesting. Exotic, esay going, easy riding.