1. dordai_robert's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

Listen to the wonderful Criterion musical score. It's Schumann in Japan. Strongly recommended.

3. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

The sequence where the boss hitting Otaka is probably the most violent action in all Ozu films

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

It’s worth noting in Ozu films that the players nearly never embrace each other. That is not saying that Ozu is not an emotional director, because he is the most emotional of filmmakers. The emotion comes in the sincerity and longing that is expressed and made ever more powerful when the characters rarely physically touch. It makes the fathers strikes that much more devastating, and a touch on an arm more powerful.

5. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

The experience could descibir like entering a gallery and watch a series of perfectly painted tables with people so foreign to you, but where you see yourself.

6. azoulay's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

Même si l'histoire relève du bon vieux mélo, on ne peut qu'être admiratif devant la beauté et la modernité de la mise en espace des personnages les silhouettes des femmes sont inoubliables et les plans immensément poétiques et élégants. L'univers des comédiens ambulants asociales perdus et libres à la fois rajoute de la modernité à ce film

7. cyrikelly's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

film muet, et néanmoins, dégage une forte personnalité. Merci M.YASUJRÖ OZU

8. gaffordKINO's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

My first Ozu film. A treat as I always hear about his unique style and artistry. I look forward to seeing his sound and eventual color work.

9. Howard Orr's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

This brilliant film -with its equally brilliant Donald Ritchie commentary- and the remake on the Criterion double DVD is my favourite box set ever!

10. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

A silent masterpiece from the great Yasujiro Ozu- absolutely heartbreaking!

11. Mitch's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

A stunning film. One of the saddest I've ever seen, I really liked how it didn't try to excuse the fathers actions. It allowed for there to be bitterness throughout and for the movie to end with the son being bitter at him. Incredible performances throughout and as with all Ozu's, incredible camera work. One of the best films about everyday life ever and to me, a masterpiece and possibly his best.

12. AKFilmFan's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

Ozu's silent classic is a joyful and sad melodrama that has great performances and directing with the help of the great camerawork by Kazuo Miyagawa.

13. Erik Villasenor's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

emotionally devastating and beautifully nuanced, Ozu is able to treat his characters with highly detailed sentimentality without becoming trite and dull. An almost perfect film in my opinion.

14. Ciro Inácio Marcondes's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

Key-film to understand the construction of Ozu's unique filmmaking style.

15. AntioneOscar69's rating of the film A Story of Floating Weeds

great film, visually stunning and deeply touching