1. De La Ghetto's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

I think this was really a movie about faith. About a kind of faith that has nothing to do with religion or god. A faith in something simple, like love. That love could be enough for us, even in a world without God. That even faith in love, true love, could be a kind of trial, could call for an immense commitment and sacrifice. That even faith in love could require miracles. I think that's the message of the movie.

2. Loz Loory's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

In plot, this is similar to Rohmer's "Le Rayon Vert" (1986). The heroine roams around, looking for signs and trying to feel comfortable in different locales, and then the deus ex machina arrives at the end. I get tired of both heroines, as they are so focused on finding happiness through men. This film is maybe the only film ever that makes Shakespeare's play seem interesting, without even showing the bear.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

Throughout I wanted to reach through the screen and either slap Felicie upside the head or help her find a second brain cell so she would have two to rub together. Then, tears flow at the play and my heart goes out to her and the improbable but perfectly logically ending arrives and I feel a tear myself.

4. Cat Mai's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

The ending was a bit out of nowhere. It would have been more credible had she never reunited with Charles. But I guess French cinema was fed up with all that existential crap.

5. T Mills's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

The whole time I watched this film a few days ago I kept thinking, “one day I will make quiet, simple films like this.”

6. Fab S's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

Not credible because of the dialogues. Pretty boring (beside the first and last 5 minutes). An impression of seeing a boring and a tasteless France from the early 90's

7. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

I felt pretty strongly about this as I was watching it. I found Felicie's behavior to be cruel and unbearable.

8. David Perez's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

A very nice piece--nice overlay with the Shakespeare bit and the woman encased in the glass coffin. Very subtle and effective use of metaphor and delicate narrative cues. If you can withstand the typical saccharine Rohmer ending, a pleasant and worthwhile film. Good show.

9. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

10. FISCHER's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

De charmants babils plus moraux et chrétiens que jamais, pour ce film rigoureux et quelquefois émouvant, sur la beauté de la foi et de l'attente amoureuse... www.cinefiches.com

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

From what I've read, this seems to be a bit of a weaker Rohmer film. And from watching it, I have to say that I agree somewhat. It's certainly a bit melodramatic and ho-hum a lot of the way through. But Rohmer does a nice job of capturing some of the minutiae of life and complicated relationships. For that I give him a thumbs up.

12. Lucile & Pablo Ablanedo's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

Simple but deep and witty. More Eric Rohmer's movies please!

13. Neville Nason's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

An extraordinary tale of a woman who remains true to herself even as it makes everyone else in her life crazy. Released in the early 90s, before mobile phones and the internet changed everything. I wonder if such a film could be made now?

14. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

banalization of the quest for faith / where God isn't, boyfriends are. I suppose it's probably true to life.

15. laura's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

16. Kevin's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

You either love Rohmer or hate Rohmer; Nothing to do with subtitles, we use them for NCIS since written words add meaning; Nothing to do with philosophy, especially not JANSENISM, this is pure romance, French Romance. I remember when Rohmer passed, the very real sadness we will not see a new Rohmer film ever again…

17. Latias's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

I think I should pause on Rohmer for a while. Need to take a break from his world of romance and drama, all his philosophy on love. And I certain did not enjoy the cheap happy ending here.

18. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

19. Aurora's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

Personajes humanos, reales, nada estereotipados. Lo que yo llamo un feminista. Reivindica a la mujer y esto fue en los años 90, digno de admirar.

20. ermete polpette's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

21. Sander Moyson's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

And then suddenly: this clear vision of a distant love, a silent certainty that drives us through our lives. And when our father will appear, we shall be the ones who'll recognize him immediately.

22. Catarina Andrade's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

A wave of hope to all the skepticals in town. It makes one hope that the last scene is really the last there is to see.

23. José Neves's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

The "naturalness" of the banal in which Romer specialized, and the banality with which the artistic is drawn, may present vices that limit the range of its possibilities, corroborated by the reiteration of his fictions. In addition, the Shakespeare's theatrical extract is spurious. However the ending, specifically jansenist, of an everyday expectable Grace, is absolutely celebratory and convivial.

24. Andrew Miller's rating of the film A Tale of Winter

One of Rohmer's finest films-- what appears to be absurdity (or madness) shows its true, sublime face.