1. olívia,'s rating of the film A Talking Picture

a cena do jantar é tudo

2. "O" Luís Miranda's rating of the film A Talking Picture

3. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film A Talking Picture

That ending was so intense and unexpected, changing the film from a very light world history lesson into a nihilistic statement about contemporary world society! Damn I miss Manoel de Oliveira!

4. João Gou's rating of the film A Talking Picture

Consegue desconstruir ideias sobre a história civilizacional , simplificando-as para o entendimento de uma criança. Mas que também discute o lugar dos países do sul da Europa na história e na própria linguagem, sobretudo com a mesa redonda, donde a actriz Catherine Deneuve faz parte, com um olhar mais profundo. Um final surpreende.

5. noahboahk's rating of the film A Talking Picture

6. S P R's rating of the film A Talking Picture

The ending of this somewhat educational film captures well one of life's greatest ironies: our lack of control over our lives despite the structure we impose upon ourselves.

7. Peter's rating of the film A Talking Picture

One of my favourite films by Manoel de Oliveira.

8. kian94's rating of the film A Talking Picture

best formal experience of de oliveira

9. 1ariane1's rating of the film A Talking Picture

Didactic in a boring way. Nice shots of some tourist sites though.

10. Raquel Queiroz's rating of the film A Talking Picture

Pa que filme tao pretencioso

11. Kevin's rating of the film A Talking Picture

I read all of the reviews after watching this film in 2015. Anyone familiar with World Cinema knows the title is almost pejorative. It does not matter the point of view, the form rules the film. Today we know many films that end this way, a normal story, we want it to be normal, ends tragically. Like the news about the German plane crashing in the French Alps, normal stories end... I will miss Oliveira.

12. Denis Umpleby's rating of the film A Talking Picture

This movie kinda perplexed me. At first it felt like a travel documentary and then all of a sudden the movie stopped so that John Malcovich had a long conversation with three ladies and I though I started to understand it, then the boat explodes with our central character on board. I was just left with complete and utter confusion. Strange.

13. msmichel's rating of the film A Talking Picture

A history professor takes her young daughter on a Mediterranean voyage giving context to her teachings as well as schooling her girl. A very assessable film from De Oliveira who's surface story is quite enjoyable but the understory is one that covers the power of language, cultural identity, history and legend. The film is pure conversation regardless of the 'tower of babel' the world has become. Fascinating work.

14. headspace spacebar's rating of the film A Talking Picture

"Best use of freeze frame." - Francois Truffaut

15. Buddy Love's rating of the film A Talking Picture

A great history lesson beautifully displayed.. The dialogue engaging in over the top intellectualizing regarding civilization was starting to get annoying but was needed to give meaning to an unexpected ending. What a doll baby!

16. Michael Goetz's rating of the film A Talking Picture

This is an idealistic conservative's plea for the preservation - and primacy - of Western Culture against the (unseen, almost hallucinated) violent, irrational forces that wish to destroy it. Most of the movie is taken up with badinage about the usual touchstones of Western Civ (France, Rome, Greece). It's in Egypt where the trouble begins, leading to a shock ending in the final minutes that comes out of nowhere.

17. sourena's rating of the film A Talking Picture

This movie is a long boring-to-death preaching of an inaccurate Euro-centric, Christian-centric version of history, with no innovation whatsoever.

18. John Moody's rating of the film A Talking Picture

A good film with a pessimistic vision of Western civilizations future.

19. Valentina Sanchez's rating of the film A Talking Picture

20. Nancy Stark's rating of the film A Talking Picture

A little too talky for my tastes, but had some good acting.

21. mpho3's rating of the film A Talking Picture

"A devastatingly simple portrait of the ways in which we lull ourselves into believing that knowledge, academic or worldly, is our inviolate defense against annihilation." - Maria Garcia, Film Journal International

22. Vassilis Tsitsopoulos's rating of the film A Talking Picture

If a Western film features orthodox priests in it, it is guaranteed to suck. Too complicated to explain, but trust me!

23. El Biffo's rating of the film A Talking Picture

Part History lesson, part travelogue, the first part of this film is lovely if that stuff is enjoyable for you. Unfortunately, as soon as Malkovich enters this "Talking Picture" it becomes a real drag. The conversation is forced and contrived. Watch the first half if you want to see a beautifully shot travelogue. But turn it off as soon as you see Malkovich's ugly mug, that's what I think. 2 & 1/2 stars, not 3.

24. Allison Vivian Fine's rating of the film A Talking Picture

Provocative, smart, sensual, emotionally intriguing and touching--we really invest in these wonderful women characters and the end just devastates.