1. El Biffo's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Sentimental in a grim way.

2. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

I don't give a fuck about his life. Uninteresting completely.

3. smndvdcl's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Hsaio-Hsien's semi-autobiographical gateway into the temporal sphere of his narratives.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Chronique autobiographique de l'enfance du metteur en scène, il s'agit de la deuxième partie d'une trilogie entamée en 1984 avec "Un été chez grand-père"... www.cinefiches.com

5. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

6. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Not for me. I'm glad to learn some people actually liked it, but for me...it was like a bad and long telefilm about uninteresting people. Not even a chronicle of Taiwan or something.

7. Nadin's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Well, what can you say!? Perhaps one of Hou's best?

8. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

9. Jason's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

One of the most trenchant Asian films of the 1980s. Having been given the chance to revisit it on 35mm, I can only say that this is the pinnacle of an extremely sober vision, maybe not as obviously stimulating as the later kinda-druggy vision for which Hou would become rightfully celebrated, and that the delicacy of the image stands well alongside the powerful fragility of these mortal figures in the river of time.

10. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Drama épico sobre la infancia/juventud del director. El filme se despliega como cuadro familiar, básicamente compuesto por hechos que colectivamente forman parte de un posterior aprendizaje, en este caso del director. Son hechos por entonces triviales aunque sobrecogedores, es la abuela y la herencia de la China a la que nunca volvieron, la muerte descarnada que provoca mea culpa. Un cine de reflexión personal.

11. joey Noodles's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Absolutely extraordinary. What Hou is able to achieve here is such a seamlessly beautiful and poetic imitation of life, and it's the personal touches, the little quirks of the people we come across in the film that give it that flavour and humanity. It's deeply melancholic, the feeling of cultural disattachment and lack of identity are beautifully presented too, the jarring conflict of generations. Masterpiece. 5/5

12. The Future Mr. Gitts's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Works as a companion piece to Yang's A Brighter Summer Day. Approaches similar material and setting in a slightly different fashion: fragments of the past, memories of good and bad, haunt the fictionalized Hou. Elegantly captures the fragility and unpredictability of life. Really strong conclusion.

13. William Low's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Simply one of the best (Chinese) films with a very universal and touching story about life.

14. Gondo's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Probably one of the best films I have ever seen.

15. AlexanderKR's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Expressionistic shutter speeeeeed. And such tender storytelling.

16. Daniela's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Oh god . . . so boring . . . I can't finish it.

17. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

this is even more devastating than Tokyo Story, and its like Hou places lots of mirror on the film where I can see my reflection and having lots of deja vu moments while watching. My 2nd fave Hou

18. Diarmuid's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

Utterly beautiful cinema

19. ludovicobe's rating of the film A Time to Live and a Time to Die

One of my favorites of a modern master: long takes, slow, multilayered, a cinema of small gestures; how drama shows through the 'banality' of life