1. George Bradley's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

2. Superfrog's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

I liked the beginning and the experiment of doing a terribly hollywood melo on a bunch of german soldier stuck on the russian front in WW2 was Bunuelesque enough to attract me. Then the whole love story weighs it down to a see how much more clever than the character you are ending. Meh, the first 15 minutes are pretty gold.

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

While it may not be quite up to the standards of some of the other Douglas Sirk movies I have enjoyed, this wartime exploration of humanity and love is another fantastic film from a master craftsman.

4. 'king Harold's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

My favourite of his, something of the Powell and Pressburgers about it for me but what do I know. It’s so mature and unsentimental. A film about war from the perspective of the enemy at that time seems very daring and humane. The ending is unflinchingly good.

5. Ark V's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Very impressive drama with stunning location shots. Maybe a little too light on the politics. It certainly inspires other films like Black Book for example. Interesting also that Ashes and Diamonds came out in the same year.

6. Juurakkotukka's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Liselotte Pulver is so much fun! <3

7. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

He looks like he's crying. That'll be his eyeballs melting. He certainly told it like it was. Really powerful, the moments of despair from random people really hit home the total pointlessness of war. The haves, and the havn't got a thing, the person in the shadows waiting to dob you in. And love. Tragic.

8. Madoc's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Wow, what a powerful film. Disguised as a melodrama this deeply political masterpiece has you rooting for the German soldier home from the Russian front. The fact that it is a Hollywood film and not a modern indie makes it all the more remarkable. At times the message isn't subtle but the film makes you think of the characters as people who do good and those who do bad rather than by their nationality. A great watch.

9. eberhard's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

"And in our dreams we might find a place where people won't hate us, and won't ask our nationality, only if we love each other, and that will be our passport and visa enough." Even through death.

10. CJG's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Extraordinary piece of film making. Such amazing action sequences considering the year of its production. Wondeful imagery and dialogue that feels very modern at times. Harrowing and humanist as MUBI stated with great performances from both leads.

11. Nicolas Pierce's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Sirk's work here is absolutely masterful, even though he's saddled with a rather bland lead actor. The way he orchestrates such sweeping, epic set-pieces in the service of such an intimate story is thrilling to behold, and his handling of tone shifts seamlessly from horror to humour to melancholy romance. Deserves to be better known.

12. azoulay's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Comment une pensée, un constat et un désespoir en l'humanité mise à genou, chemine dans une histoire romanesque et tendre, comment avait fait cela Monsieur Sirk? jusqu'où nous éblouirez-vous!

13. SamSalt's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Melodrama crossed with a war film. It didn't ought to work but it does. Not like Sirk's other films and yet it is. And there's no cop out at the end.

14. Didonne's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Déjà vu sur le petit écran, mais le souvenir m'est revenu tard. Un regard intéressant sur les désastres et les ironies de la guerre. Qu'est-ce qui peut naitre dans un champ de ruines ? Un excellent traitement de la couleur et de l'image, un bon rythme narratif, et une fin rageante. Il faut ce qu'il faut.

15. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Sirk going back to Germany, his roots. Message: Happy endings are a cul-de-sac. Maybe the ending he would have loved to add in the rest of his films.

16. tinderness's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Ja, so sah man sich gerne als Deutscher oder Österreicher in den Fünfzigern: Melodram und Geworfen sein in den Krieg. Das erklärt auch den Erfolg des Romans und des Films. Ein Kind seiner Zeit, aber in der zeitlichen Distanz allzu deutlich: die Entlastung des Einzelnen von der Verantwortung für das Verbrechen des Nationalsozialismus. Hier greift der Film zu kurz, um dem Schrecklichen tatsächlich gerecht zu werden.

17. Epinephrin's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

A bit too long but nice work. I have to read the novel.

18. FISCHER's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Mélo bravo ! www.cinefiches.com

19. Endre's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Every sweet love scene is punctured by sirens of bombs – right at the moment where they feel too luxurious, taking too much space in this Holocaust world. There’s also a lot of humor in this film, which in a way seem more enduring than the always temporary happiness, and which gives it a quiet sense of absurdity. And the use of mirrors is devastatingly touching, even though I can’t explain why.

20. Matt Reddick's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

same sentiments as the others.... plus i'm a sucker for bombed-out set designs

21. RoRoRoro's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

22. Duncan Gray's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

The opening contains some of the most striking negative imagery I've ever seen in an Old Hollywood film, and the concept is pretty damn bold for 1958. Not on the level of Sirk's best films (Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life), but a good indicator that his interests reached far beyond the American upper class.

23. José Neves's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Cinematography by Russell Metty. "Desire" list: an actor of few resources but with a face and physicality of great virtues, John Gavin found in Sirk his two major roles, being this one the most prominent by the fact that he's one of the film protagonists. Perhaps melodrama require lower actors to pass its currents of improbability, assuming therefore the physicality that propels and justify it.

24. Trevor's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Along with The Tarnished Angels and Imitation of Life, this is one of Sirk's absolute masterpieces and one of the most neglected films in cinema history.