1. FISCHER's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Mélo bravo ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Endre's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Every sweet love scene is punctured by sirens of bombs – right at the moment where they feel too luxurious, taking too much space in this Holocaust world. There’s also a lot of humor in this film, which in a way seem more enduring than the always temporary happiness, and which gives it a quiet sense of absurdity. And the use of mirrors is devastatingly touching, even though I can’t explain why.

3. Matt Reddick's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

same sentiments as the others.... plus i'm a sucker for bombed-out set designs

4. RoRoRoro's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

5. Duncan Gray's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

The opening contains some of the most striking negative imagery I've ever seen in an Old Hollywood film, and the concept is pretty damn bold for 1958. Not on the level of Sirk's best films (Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life), but a good indicator that his interests reached far beyond the American upper class.

6. José Neves's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Cinematography by Russell Metty. "Desire" list: an actor of few resources but with a face and physicality of great virtues, John Gavin found in Sirk his two major roles, being this one the most prominent by the fact that he's one of the film protagonists. Perhaps melodrama require lower actors to pass its currents of improbability, assuming therefore the physicality that propels and justify it.

7. Trevor's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Along with The Tarnished Angels and Imitation of Life, this is one of Sirk's absolute masterpieces and one of the most neglected films in cinema history.

8. Andrei Rus's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

I dream I would make a movie like this one day. I admire Douglas Sirk so much.

9. nuno q's rating of the film A Time to Love and a Time To Die

Ruins, ruins, ruins. And the last breathtaking scene. Oh Sirk, what have you done?