1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Act of Violence

3.5 stars. Very well done. Zinnemann gets such great performances from his talented cast. Worth it.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Act of Violence

Didn't you feel anything at all?

3. El Biffo's rating of the film Act of Violence

I've got a soft spot for any Film Noir with the Angels Flight funicular in it. Not Lala Land tho, I'm not going to see that, even if it does have the funicular in it.

4. Log Lady's rating of the film Act of Violence

Atmospheric and the lighting is excellent (especially during the chase), not to mention that the roles of the players aren't that traditional. Despite those aspects this still didn't come through as an exceptional film noir. Worth the watch, though.

5. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Act of Violence

What an incredible noir... The hero turns out to be the anti hero, the villain turns out to be an avenger. And all of a sudden we embark in a journey for redemption... and all of this with fate getting the kicks out of manipulating the characters like puppets. What a movie!

6. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Act of Violence

"High Noon of film noir" from Zinnemann.

7. Landen Celano's rating of the film Act of Violence

A taut thriller that delivers all of the wants of a film noir, while constantly pushing against the conventions of it.

8. Dave's rating of the film Act of Violence

At times the story falters, IMO, and there are certain things that make me scratch my head. For instance, I understand Enley’s need to get away when Joe suddenly appears, but just running off by and leaving his wife to fend for herself seemed flat-out bizarre. Even so, the opening sequence and the well-paced finale are two very bright spots here. Definitely an essential noir, even if I like less than others do.

9. Filipe Ferraz Coutinho's rating of the film Act of Violence

10. MarcH's rating of the film Act of Violence

Mary Astor's scene as the washed-up whore, the horror-movie-like stalking of the cabin, and shocking revelation about Heflin's past are all highlights. One of my favorite noirs...should be MUCH more famous.

11. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Act of Violence

Chronicle of a struggle with, against--and ultimately for--the redemption of the soul.

12. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film Act of Violence

One of the GREAT buried movies....

13. NealEdelstein's rating of the film Act of Violence

Epic noir, took me a while to capture it again on my DVR. This needs to be on DVD, and it needs to be remastered. A study in show don't tell movie making.

14. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Act of Violence

Tense noir thriller is fast-paced with a tight plot. The story seems to lose focus towards the end before an exciting finale, and it's not without it's melodramatic moments, but worth watching for the atmospheric visuals and moody, expressionistic lighting.