1. Jeff Heinzl's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

It's easy to see how this was overlooked in a year that brought us the beginnings of both the French New Wave and Italian modernism, but while those films were making their stylistic innovations, 'Adua and Her Friends' was busy taking down masculinist, hypocritical Italian society from the vantage point of four (former) sex workers. Its final moments move from exhilarating to absolutely heartbreaking.

2. redux's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Signoret, obviously. Then you have all the different ways the story wasn't allowed to turn into frivolous, weightless entertainment. Decent times.

3. pirri's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

4. josh scam's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

the honest broken hearted

5. msmichel's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

A wonderful film featuring a quartet of fantastic performances from Simone Signoret, Sandra Milo, Emmanuelle Riva and Gina Rovere as four former brothel workers attempting to run a restaurant only to find the prejudices of their former lives define them. Scripting is excellent as is the b&w cinematograpy of Armando Nannuzzi. Was not aware of this director previously but worthy of investigation.

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

A feminist movie. Pretty women but no Prince Charming here. Life vs Dream. Is it best to show Life as It is or as It should be ? At least, they tried. Highly recommended.

7. Matt McManus's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Loved everything about this movie. The stunning female leads, and their individual characters. Beautifully shot which adds so much emotion to each scene. The last scene in particular, so agonizing.

8. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

7.0/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2fX

9. Kathleen Putnam's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

An absolutely wonderful film. A great pity that it is not better known. A fantastic cast, director, cinematography, and script - how poignant that one of the screenwriters, the great Ettore Scola, died yesterday.

10. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Mad stylish film, simply shot BUT with that kinetic Italian camera we all love. Beautiful, jazzy soundtrack. An often funny, but somber, movie about four sex workers starting a restaurant and their corrupt landlord's attempt to press them back into sex work.

11. Nick Potter's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Adua And Her Friends is a bit of a surprise gem from classic Italian cinema, but perhaps that's because of my unfamiliarity with Pietrangli. The four main women perfectly blend comedic situations with a heartbreaking melancholy, and Simone Signoret and Emmanualle Riva are particularly stunning. Marcello Mastroianni never goes unappreciated.

12. Edmund Poliks's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

It takes a while for this film to get going for me, especially with the same low-key jazz theme that kind of deadens the energy a bit. However, I love where this goes with the girls' painful interactions with men and their inability to escape their former lives. The cinematography is very well done and both Simone Signoret and Emmanuelle Riva are golden. This one was definitely a nice surprise.

13. Salma Qazi's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

I found the ending execrable, but the rest of the movie was lovely. It was shot simply and prettily, & it cared for the women. 4 stars, because though I hated the ending, I somewhat understand why the filmmakers chose to do it.

14. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

15. Mitch's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

How did I not know about this film? Social hypocrisy and early feminism hit the right notes in an honest plot about 4 ex-prostitutes fighting to go straight. Everybody knows it wasn't going to be easy, but the smart dialog and performances keep this buoyant. Simone Signoret at her most heart-breaking.

16. caitlin.f's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

this film was kind of all over the place but made some very good points about women & sexuality. loved the ending -- very unexpected.

17. David R Williams's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Gorgeous black and white photography. Shades of neo-realism meshed with melodrama, farce and operatic tragedy. Simone Signoret gives an amazing performance but really the whole cast shines.

18. Erik F.'s rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Very enjoyable movie, but what a downbeat ending! That's not a bad thing; I just wasn't expecting it!

19. Ben Loory's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

wonderful movie, couldn't take my eyes off it. would have liked to have known what happened to the others at the end.

20. angela01's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

an amazing cast, an amazing performance

21. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Social realism with light moments, while dealing with a controversial subject without preaching. A great cast.

22. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Heartbreaking. Signoret is superb, as are the other actresses. I actually found it refreshing to see Mastroianni play a less complex character for a change. It's not necessarily easy to pull off. But 'Adua And Her Friends' is definitely an undervalued gem. Once again, the embedded cruelties of social stigmas can only ever be temporarily assuaged by misleading moments of hope.

23. Julia Lesmister's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

The only film I've seen from this era of Italian Cinema that actually comments on the laws related to prostitution.

24. David Danforth's rating of the film Adua and Her Friends

Brilliant composition and pacing. Characters are skillfully drawn... The ending is tragic.