1. Noli Manaig's rating of the film Afrique 50

Near perfect anti-colonial film, except for its lack of viscerality, its failure to outrage. What it might have contrived to do are: to detourn the givenness of exoticized newsreels on Africa; & to give a lowdown behind this touristy facade. Vautier's voice-over, however, sounds avuncular & mollifying. Rather sterile if informative. Rather tempered, if sincere, is this act of solidarity with an exploited continent.

2. mubianer's rating of the film Afrique 50

I feel a little mean giving it two stars. I see the historical importance as an early anti-colonial short documentary. However, I didn't get much out of it myself.

3. josh scam's rating of the film Afrique 50

Vautier, forgotten master of the new wave, fought in the French resistance at 15. He made this film at 21. He went to jail for a year for showing the brutality of french colonialism, aligning with the independence movement, and calling for the end of colonialism. This is a MUST SEE for anyone interested in colonialism, postwar politics, ethnography, and the french new wave. Vautier is a legend.

4. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film Afrique 50

René Vautier is the Illest. He's fooled the authorities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrique_50

5. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Afrique 50