1. Adam Whybray's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

2.5 stars. Interestingly, Bergman's humourlessness had not been an issue for me until it was combined with self-serious meta-commentary, as here. The film did, however, remind me why I only spent a week as a member of my university's drama group as an undergraduate, in spite of my love of performing. Of course, the acting here was suburb, but I'd rather they weren't acting actors.

2. Pango's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Theatre and Film are never been so close and so beautiful together.

3. P D Dawson's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Set on a stage, a conversation between possible lovers, about past and present, about actors and directors, about life and death. This film covers a range of deep subjects and confesses to its audience about the childlike qualities one must have in order to pretend, which is essentially what acting is, and a director merely facilitates the overall effectiveness of this pretend world. A deeply thought provoking film!

4. Stevie M's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Once again, Bergman explores the blurred lines between truth and lies. What is fact and what is fiction? How much of our own lives is truly genuine and how much is performance for the benefit of those around us? Stirring stuff.

5. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

It feels very much like a lesser Bergman film, but I will take that over so many other viewing choices. Solid performances, an interesting script, and the usual unflinching look at the hearts and minds of those onscreen.

6. george's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Feels like the theatre - the joy of a live performance.

7. Maribou's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Talkfest chamber piece whose popularity baffles me. This is dry as a bone stuff. A theatre director reflects on his relationships past and present. There are a couple of neat devices and the actors do their damnedest but the whole thing never breaks out of confessional, stage play territory. There are so many better Bergman films to choose from

8. Superfrog's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Blurring the lines of life and theatre, a rehearsal after the rehearsal of what would. Stunning in style and substance.

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

10. goulton green's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

An assignment to the powers of the conversations in this beautiful movie: Shortly after watching I dreamt a job interview in which I am laying comfortably tacked in a bad and leisurely relaxed was answering the questions of my potential future superiors. First time in my life I was able to answer and speak fully honestly and tell them all I really think. Something like the Erland's inner talks.

11. FISCHER's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Dernier film de Bergman à ce jour, (6 mars 1985) qui jette un âpre regard un peu désenchanté, aux relents autobiographiques, sur le théâtre et son univers... www.cinefiches.com

12. Blumes's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

"Are you so tormented that you can't bare the unpredictable?"

13. Minu's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

A director has to answer questions of utmost importance, play the mascarade of every actor and, at the same time, caress their souls and taking great care not to hurt them, thus having a huge responsibility, although he is also plunged into the great unknown. To me this film is a new landmark.

14. Ciné-Philosophe's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

15. Kurt Öhrström's rating of the film After the Rehearsal

Ingrid Thulin is fantastic in this underated Bergmanfilm/play.