1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film After the Storm

2. Андрей Юрьевич Поцелуй's rating of the film After the Storm

A father telling his son to read Jean-Henri Fabre can’t be that bad a father. I don’t know about the animal stories of E.T. Seton (sounds interesting) but everyone should read Fabre! Like others pointed out it’s the little things, gestures, thoughts not spoken & glances that Koreeda gives time and space to be developed. Surrendering to the pace and rhythm of the film it felt real and moved me on a deeper level.

3. nandafr's rating of the film After the Storm

The storm is inevitable and it too shall pass.

4. Aulia Indry's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore eda indeed provide a real family that has long divorced. We will see that the true story or life in the original is not going as we predicted. Somehow I hope more on this story, not at the end of this movie but where the father tries to unite all aspects of his life

5. pencils only's rating of the film After the Storm

6. meepy's rating of the film After the Storm

After The Storm presents the reality of dreams, marriage & life.

7. Leah Shaw's rating of the film After the Storm

8. ijol's rating of the film After the Storm

We watch films mostly because we want to escape, but not with Koreeda's, his are like coming home.

9. Emily O's rating of the film After the Storm

Kirin Kiki : I wonder why it is that men can't love the present. Either they just keep chasing whatever it is they've lost or they keep dreaming beyond their reach.

10. Henrique Amud's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore-eda's bread and butter is a magnificent recipe that he tweeks a little bit each time and we're always here for seconds. Family dramas without melodramas is something I can't get tired of. But this especially wonderful cast (Kirin Kiki!!) would be cinematic catnip doing anything.

11. Claire Wongsutin's rating of the film After the Storm

12. Nutter Jr's rating of the film After the Storm

This kind of film making speaks form the heart, allowing the audience to be drawn in and feel all the nuanced emotions and discover all the delicate epiphanies that come along the way.

13. kathmeep's rating of the film After the Storm

After The Storm presents the reality of dreams, marriage & life. Although I appreciated the message Koreeda sends us at the end of the film, I felt that this film in particular spent too much unnecessary time on building up the main character’s personality. And much lesser of the conflict itself. This may be Koreeda’s style, I felt a little sad that his slow-paced style turned into boredom for me.

14. Matthew Martens's rating of the film After the Storm

Familiar territory, but what do we want, perpetual disorientation? As it happens, there's usually more than enough of the latter hiding in plain old, same old sight, if we look closely at it while we live there. Kore-Eda looks closely, so we feel keenly the quotidian strangeness of being these particular characters, arrayed around a formerly promising novelist turned stymied manchild, all pursuing something passing.

15. Joaquín Font's rating of the film After the Storm

Toda la piel del corazón, toda la sangre del amor, toda la fatiga de la vida vencida por cada golpe bajo el pecho.

16. Cartaphilus's rating of the film After the Storm

17. Bilouaustria's rating of the film After the Storm

The delicate art of filmmaking is subtil as can be when you have Kore-Eda as director. A lot is not said, you have to pay attention to details. All together it is very modest and emotional at the same time. Almost no music (there used to be no music at all in his earlier films) and just the repetition of everyday life. His art becomes more and more mainstream but doesn´t lose its strenght. Modern Ozu.

18. Adam Whybray's rating of the film After the Storm

I'm tired of wretched and sentimental men being wretched and sentimental, though Koreeda has a very keen ear for dialogue. It is, however, worth watch for the generous performance by Kirin Kiki. Recently I've really started to appreciate my own grandmas, one of whom is an octogenarian and the other now a nonagenarian, so I would have rather watched a film focusing on Ryôta's mother, rather than Ryôta.

19. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film After the Storm

20. patchwork's rating of the film After the Storm

21. Renton47's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore-eda makes films with such startling clarity that I often half suspect they must be a cop out. No such luck, here we have a bleak low-life drama which engages the canon of detective fiction in ways the film prob won't receive credit for. As in the tropes are all true, writing gambling wash-out, it's the cases that are hollowed out, boring. Final stretch is a touch tidy, constrained in a way the film hasn't been.

22. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film After the Storm

Uno scrittore in crisi, una madre rancorosa ed una nonna affettuosa rendono omaggio ad i classici racconti del Maestro Ozu, tramite lo stile sopraffino di Kore-eda. Non tutti i mali vengon per nuocere e non tutti i tifoni arrecano danni, questo spiega il film, mentre una tempesta riassembla parzialmente i pezzi di tre vite che sembravano ormai lontane tra loro. Un storia semplice ma efficace, in vero stile nipponico.

23. Beau de Jour's rating of the film After the Storm

So Japanese in its brightness and melancholic simplicity.

24. NCMBianchi's rating of the film After the Storm

As many pointed out, the plot itself 'goes nowhere'. Yet, there's nothing wrong in being so plain and inconclusive: its essence is the main character's approach to life. The director makes him say and realise what should be one's approach to dreams and objectives in life, through a movie whose voice is calm and reassuring in a harsh world that doesn't run away from reality - helped by great composition and composure.