1. Matthew Martens's rating of the film After the Storm

Familiar territory, but what do we want, perpetual disorientation? As it happens, there's usually more than enough of the latter hiding in plain old, same old sight, if we look closely at it while we live there. Kore-Eda looks closely, so we feel keenly the quotidian strangeness of being these particular characters, arrayed around a formerly promising novelist turned stymied manchild, all pursuing something passing.

2. Joaquín Font's rating of the film After the Storm

Toda la piel del corazón, toda la sangre del amor, toda la fatiga de la vida vencida por cada golpe bajo el pecho.

3. Cartaphilus's rating of the film After the Storm

4. Bilouaustria's rating of the film After the Storm

The delicate art of filmmaking is subtil as can be when you have Kore-Eda as director. A lot is not said, you have to pay attention to details. All together it is very modest and emotional at the same time. Almost no music (there used to be no music at all in his earlier films) and just the repetition of everyday life. His art becomes more and more mainstream but doesn´t lose its strenght. Modern Ozu.

5. Adam Whybray's rating of the film After the Storm

I'm tired of wretched and sentimental men being wretched and sentimental, though Koreeda has a very keen ear for dialogue. It is, however, worth watch for the generous performance by Kirin Kiki. Recently I've really started to appreciate my own grandmas, one of whom is an octogenarian and the other now a nonagenarian, so I would have rather watched a film focusing on Ryôta's mother, rather than Ryôta.

6. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film After the Storm

7. patchwork's rating of the film After the Storm

8. Renton47's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore-eda makes films with such startling clarity that I often half suspect they must be a cop out. No such luck, here we have a bleak low-life drama which engages the canon of detective fiction in ways the film prob won't receive credit for. As in the tropes are all true, writing gambling wash-out, it's the cases that are hollowed out, boring. Final stretch is a touch tidy, constrained in a way the film hasn't been.

9. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film After the Storm

Uno scrittore in crisi, una madre rancorosa ed una nonna affettuosa rendono omaggio ad i classici racconti del Maestro Ozu, tramite lo stile sopraffino di Kore-eda. Non tutti i mali vengon per nuocere e non tutti i tifoni arrecano danni, questo spiega il film, mentre una tempesta riassembla parzialmente i pezzi di tre vite che sembravano ormai lontane tra loro. Un storia semplice ma efficace, in vero stile nipponico.

10. Beau de Jour's rating of the film After the Storm

So Japanese in its brightness and melancholic simplicity.

11. NCMBianchi's rating of the film After the Storm

As many pointed out, the plot itself 'goes nowhere'. Yet, there's nothing wrong in being so plain and inconclusive: its essence is the main character's approach to life. The director makes him say and realise what should be one's approach to dreams and objectives in life, through a movie whose voice is calm and reassuring in a harsh world that doesn't run away from reality - helped by great composition and composure.

12. Pipim's rating of the film After the Storm

J'arrive pas à retrouver, personnellement, la beauté incroyable philosophique et empathique d'Air Doll et Nobody knows. Le secret a disparu de son oeuvre pour laisser place à des films plus artificiels, où la construction des films deviennent beaucoup plus apparentes. Par ailleurs, la cruauté des rapports familiaux dans des univers douceâtres est subtile mais un peu faux! Des beaux moments de grâce de la mère!

13. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film After the Storm

Unobtrusive techniques, human awareness, and narrative accessibility remain strong features in Koreeda’s simple yet effective filmmaking style.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film After the Storm

Traversée d'une grande et diffuse tendresse pour ses personnages qui se frottent à un présent quelque peu rébarbatif voire hostile, souvent désarçonnés par un passé plus harmonieux, cette bienheureuse réalisation du grand cinéaste nippon débouche sur une vision douce-amère de l'existence, quelquefois hantée par les incertitudes et les regrets, mais bien plus optimiste que dans les opus précédents. www.cinefiches.com

15. naive3's rating of the film After the Storm

I needed this film to realise a lot of things. (5/5) The subtleties in this film were wonderful.

16. Kamran's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore-eda as typical uses understated details, gestures, and motifs to reveal the space—the energy—between people. 82/100 - Great.

17. Duncan Gray's rating of the film After the Storm

Seems like Kore-eda's Ozu rips come and go like the seasons these days—that is, each of his family dramas, much like each spring, is both immediately comparable and subtly distinct from the one before it. It won't take you long to realize that the "storm" of the title is a divorce, but Kore-eda's perspective pacifies schmaltzy melodrama into melancholy and blissful observation. Not one of his best, but well worth it.

18. pirri's rating of the film After the Storm

19. Matt Richards's rating of the film After the Storm

Kore-eda still has that wonderful knack of slipping gently beneath the surface of family relationships and gently turning out the hidden corners with subtlety and warmth. 3.5 stars

20. letters never sent's rating of the film After the Storm

I didn't connect as much with this Kore-eda,but the little nuances that I love are present.They tend to say a lot more than words can. The grandma was adorable and provided light relief, but underneath was a person regretful of her dashed hopes and dreams for her and her family. She and Ryota had similarities more than they acknowledged. We can't all become what we want to be. You just learn to weather the storm.

21. Justwibi's rating of the film After the Storm

simple, fun and effective!

22. I0000days's rating of the film After the Storm

oh look koreeda made the same film again

23. Kevin Costner's rating of the film After the Storm

24. pandakuma's rating of the film After the Storm

it's so natural as if i'm there