1. Mariano-ML's rating of the film Afternoon

Understated yet tragic. The brief flashes of violence - emotional and physical - were very unexpected and revealed an underlying tension throughout the movie that I had not picked up on. More than anything I see this movie as a statement on the great distance and emotional neglect there exists in some (or all) families.

2. fearraigh's rating of the film Afternoon

It's a bit overly languid for my liking but Schanelec keeps her worst tendency to mannerism in check. A decent film, even if you feel the director could be making better films than she turns out.

3. Jonathan Pr's rating of the film Afternoon

4. between7skies's rating of the film Afternoon

Superb on every level. Thrilled to discover the work of this filmmaker. Thanks to Mubi for making these great cinematic works available.

5. Juurakkotukka's rating of the film Afternoon

It really reminded me of Maren Ade's Alle Anderen.

6. Mitsunoir's rating of the film Afternoon

again, i couldn't get the story line well. but anyway, beautiful. i dont know how she generated the brightness.

7. captainfez's rating of the film Afternoon

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film Afternoon

There's a certain stillness that I really responded to, but not quite enough for me to truly latch onto. Still, not a bad first experience for me with this director I was previously unfamiliar with.

9. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Afternoon

10. Folquet's rating of the film Afternoon

Friday evening, at home. My second foray into the Berlin School. There's a whiff of something contrite in the existential undertones of the plot, I tell myself. But then, the human microcosm is so rigorously observed, and the paralysis so oblique, that any wistful melancholia becomes impossible (or futile). The visual rhythm of is superb too, alternating tight and loose framing without missing one beat.

11. muse_x's rating of the film Afternoon

a film which grows on you, seamlessly & unexpectedly so, thus making a connection w/ the characters–who fail to

12. Loz Loory's rating of the film Afternoon

Found this much more interesting character-wise and plot-wise than "Marseilles" and "Passing Summer." A very bleak and bitter exploration of "The Seagull." Great encapsulation of what "happy, relaxing family holidays" inevitably become: brutal dissection of each person's failures and mean-spirited exposures of long-suppressed feelings.

13. Beadigital's rating of the film Afternoon

der nimmt sich zu ernst, und macht einen auf künstlerisch, was er leider nicht ist. interessante ästhetik und kameraeinstellungen, ja, aber schlechte darsteller_innen. schade.

14. Superfrog's rating of the film Afternoon

Oblique describes the film well. Feels a bit like Rohmer and lack incisiveness to convince me I cared about the situation in spite of interesting discussions about situations.

15. Seesaw's rating of the film Afternoon

16. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Afternoon

Angela Schanelec often misses the mark for me, due to the way in which her movies tend to throw you in with characters that never seem fully grown beyond their individual scenes. Afternoon is another one that doesn't work, for that very reason. It's hard to be interested in people who seem so uninterested in themselves or those around them.

17. RJT's rating of the film Afternoon

A prismatic, gossamer approach to Chekhov. The details and history of relationships are felt, but not explained. Characters engage in long, wordy exchanges that have echoes of the theater, but the film's undeniable mastery of story ellipsis, image composition, and sound design root this firmly in the realm of cinema. Drifts along at its own pace, requiring the viewer to submit to its laconic, sphinx-like presence.

18. Jason's rating of the film Afternoon

AFTERNOON essentially takes Chekhov's THE SEAGULL and subjects it to a vivisection of interactions so coolly observed, so particular, that we may well forget (to our credit) that there was ever such a thing as the theatre. Schanelec here finds herself modelling a kind of cinema resembling that of her contemporary Joanna Hogg. Schanelec is even more austere and precise. Something of the laboratory about it.

19. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Afternoon

Schanelec’s films contain numerous characters, but one has a feeling that each character acts in a different film, their own film, isolated from all the others. Characters speak and occasionally interact, but never really touch one another. One becomes acutely conscious of the irreconcilable distances between each of us, when we can only ever really see the surfaces and every narrative is exclusively our own.

20. zubee's rating of the film Afternoon

Like watching oil paint dry on a rainy afternoon.

21. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Afternoon

Most of the time I sat and tried to figure out how all the characters where related to one another. Definitely not as accessible as 'Marseille', though easier to get into than 'Passing Summer'.

22. Mohanty.indira's rating of the film Afternoon

Authentic in its austere portrayal of strained relationships between people.

23. Epinephrin's rating of the film Afternoon