1. Ylly's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

I really liked the end of the movie! #34

2. nyyssonen's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

I watched this with the impression that it was a feel-good TV-movie romcom. And it is. Sort of. But it's also an incredibly earnest exploration of the casualties of the closet.

3. Kamran's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

4. Garçon Manqué's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

Plus one star for the effort:Representation is important! If I were a gay teenager in the closet and watched this It would give me hope and courage to be my true self and that's really precious.

5. riraru's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

Ganz amüsant, aber letztlich same old story über einen sich sexuell entwirrenden jungen Mann. Diesmal für die Insta-Generation und mit unrealistisch verständnisvollen KlassenkameradInnen.

6. gaporama's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

It's pretty silly and a bit forced at times, but it's not all bad. I would probably like it if I were a teenager. Alex's friends are mostly useless for the plot, to be honest. P.S.: I must admit that I enjoyed the jokes about post-modern identity politics. It's probably pushed many people's buttons, which amuses me.

7. Cláudio Martins da Silva Alves's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

Often cute, sometimes very poignant and complex but also very forced and unnecessarily quirky when it comes to its collection of bizarre stylistic choices. Doheny and Weinstein are wonderful, but the rest of the actors, no matter how good they might be, are stuck in severely underwritten roles. An interesting companion and object of comparison to Love, Simon, both in terms of qualities and shortcomings.

8. Bernardo Crastes's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

It's a bit forced, but it has its moments of cuteness and poignancy, adding up to an enjoyable coming of age movie. I wish we'd have seen more of Elliot.

9. S.J.B.'s rating of the film Alex Strangelove

~2.5/5. Poor man's Love, Simon. Which is still cute enough.

10. Daniela Cabrita's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

predictable from beginning to end

11. cineholic's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

5/10. With its nigh incoherent, detour riddled structure, ALEX STRANGELOVE actually is quite funny. Unfortunately, it largely falls flat in a rushed finale as the film races to find a feel-good ending. Additionally, the bisexuality red herring earlier in the film feels like an unfortunate oversight -- bi coming of age stories are harder to come by, so to make and then disregard the suggestion feels like a mistake.

12. soymilky's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

another movie about homosexuality that comes from a place of ignorance. there are points in the movie where it seems like the director is implying that being gay is a choice. it isn't, and we don't need more depictions of this theory in media ://////

13. patríciapinho's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

madeleine weinstein needs to stop trying to fuck gay dudes

14. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

2-3. It adheres to a number of familiar tropes of the 'coming out' teen drama, but I appreciate that it's at least a bit ballsier and more honest than some of its peers. For one thing, the teen boy characters are the exact flavor of 'stupid' you'd expect a teen boy to be, really coming off more like a teen stoner comedy with a gay lead. That it's less afraid to offend also makes for some genuine 'lol' moments.

15. lapalela's rating of the film Alex Strangelove

The world did not need another shitty movie that depicts bisexuality as a stepping stone for coming out as gay; literally any other idea will work.