1. nikolasminas's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

2. MisterColo93's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

3. pintobean's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

My first Fassbinder and I'm still feeling it, a wonderful homage to Sirk that I think surpasses the original with its handling of racial tension. The xenophobia feels increasingly relevant in todays world.

4. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

5. sfdgdfggsggsogfgs's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

6. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

7. Rocco's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

As my first Fassbinder, I think as of yet I lack the context and knowledge to judge this film accurately, though I did enjoy it. Two sparkling performances in a stiffly theatrical work packed with moments of sly framing but few beautiful images.

8. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

One of a kind. Beautifully simple, yet powerful. Vibrant cinematography. Not a fan of the ending...

9. Ethan's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

This film is one of Fassbinder's greatest achievements. A true masterpiece that truly shows the agony of love and how society does not want to accept what it doesn't like or doesn't understand.

10. dordairobert's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Leads are wonderful in this tale of an elderly German woman finding love with a much younger Moroccan migrant, and writer-director Fassbinder uses this story to cast light on the work that it takes to maintain relationships, the ways in which people who love one another can still be very selfish, and the way in which racism and prejudice can filter through sections of society in so many different manifestations.

12. miles's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

the best sirk film i've seen yet.

13. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Fassbinder's detached expression makes this story unique. This social fantasy commentary seems sometimes exaggerated today, but is deeply honest.

14. moniquekidman's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Fassbinder at his most tender and human. simultaneously blissfully romantic and bleakly cold. Although this film faithfully pays homage to the melodrama of Douglas Sirk, it plays down the stylistic artifice and excess in exchange for raw human emotion. The surprisingly sensitive portrayal of racial and class struggle is the cherry on top of this open wound of a film.

15. Shawnmubi's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Loved this film. It struck a chord with me in so many ways be it socially, racially as the son of immigrants myself and emotionally. I especially like the way the film touched on the desire for social acceptance amongst the many other topics that were either tackled subtly or boldy depending on the subject matter.

16. Finbar Somers's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

17. McOpinionated's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Topic-based film. I've seen better am-dram at the theatre, and this strongly resembles a theatre piece with occasional nice shots to make it cinematic. Minor characters generally wooden and all of them with unrealistic dialogue. I'd like the see Brigitte Mira elsewhere. However it's an interesting period piece set in a familiar pan-European working-class context in which the ageism is almost as pungent as the racism.

18. Superfrog's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Fassbinder style on a subject I actually care about. Brilliant. Would put it right next to the dardennes on my shelf as well as on the shelf of amazing cinematography for the image, composition, and dynamic scene making.

19. janh24's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

A composite picture, which sometimes verges on the surreal.

20. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Fassbinder is great, I've only just discovered him, courtesy of Mubi. Meant to watch him before but never got round to it. This is a good one, well shot from the start, with the staring people in the bar. Big topics, sensitively handled. Awkward moments between people but tenderness too. Nicely observed and well acted.

21. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Following on from Merchant of Four Seasons and the spellbinding BToPVK, this just feels like the necessary next step in Fassbinder's 'exploitability of feelings' body of work. The acting is superb, the cinematography is cryptic and symbolic... This isn't acting, nor events unfolding in a realistic way - this is a hypnosis of the emotions... Actions on cue, messages beneath the surface... CINEMA.

22. SiIencio's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Quickly descending into the 10 Worst Films of All Times, this film is as revealing as a sealed envelope superficially revolving around the bloody obvious like a stubborn moth on a lightbulb, with Fassbinder, an acquired taste, as naive as his deadpan characters, guilty of what he himself condemns when Emmi finally renounces her own pride to an astray Ali, just before the ultimate Voodoo-induced lurgy strikes.

23. Marcelo-F's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

24. FISCHER's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Exempte de sentimentalisme et de manichéisme, une oeuvre courageuse, sympathique, avec un excellente présence des deux principaux acteurs ..... www.cinefiches.com