1. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

3.5 This have some really touching scenes but not in a silly way. My problem is how Fassbinder's portraits racism in post-nazi germany, it feels like i was watching a comedy, and maybe i'm. Barbara Valentin deserves to be on the podium of amazing women in film, I love her.

2. angelicidea's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

This is the essence of filmmaking. How to convey an experience perfectly with minimal dialogue.

3. diiiiogorocha's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

It really annoyed me for various reasons, first one is obvious, the people can be so stupid and this movie reminds you of that. Second, why is everyone on this movie asking for drinks and then leaving without even touching them? Is that a thing in German?

4. francisca bacon's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

I am not sure I like Fassbinder('s professorial airs)

5. guillermo's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Pure RWF hardcore. Strong story about prejudice. Rough told. Full of sound and fury, you can sense both if you let the scenes flow. This film is about the politics of being human, about how mean can we be, just like most of RWF films.

6. orlando.'s rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

the only flaw in this film was fassbinder's unwillingness to show emmi as a sexual person, an older woman with erotic desire--ali is given nude shots & sex scenes. otherwise a beautiful film about how love can lift one 1 out of the stress & isolation of labor but also in2 its own pitfalls

7. Dav I.D.'s rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Its all downhill for Mr. Ali when he starts looking for couscous in Germany.

8. Marach Adipalin's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Alone together... In the most profound way...

9. Saaam's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

10. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

11. dionysus67's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

This is Fassbinder's genius in what could be the most accomplished stylistically and astute sociologically filmic exegesis of xenophobia and human resilience. The Brechtean processes generate those alienation devices that are sufficient for self-reflection and the Hopper-like sets and colors are augmented by amazing vertical mise-en-scène (the shots on the stairs) to instill to every frame a rarely matched openess.

12. EdieEmm's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

This was when RWF was just starting to really trust his own genius at birthing whole these not films but lush layered inter-referential cinematic units. Which in his social critiques is like, Sirk via Brecht, but intersectional (i.e. whole). Mira & Ben Salem are nuanced dramatists; supporting cast more like perfect signifiers. The whole thing’s beautiful. As arch/scathing as tragic/true This is how you do homage! 4.5

13. nikolasminas's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

14. MisterColo93's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

15. pintobean's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

My first Fassbinder and I'm still feeling it, a wonderful homage to Sirk that I think surpasses the original with its handling of racial tension. The xenophobia feels increasingly relevant in todays world.

16. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

17. sfdgdfggsggsogfgs's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

18. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

19. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Fassbinder’s upgrade on “All That Heaven Allows”, a love affair between an older cleaning lady and a younger Arab immigrant, and face expected Xenophobia and societal rejection. Brave, bold, tragic but perhaps the most hopeful and ultimately uplifting from the inherently tormented director.

20. Rocco's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

As my first Fassbinder, I think as of yet I lack the context and knowledge to judge this film accurately, though I did enjoy it. Two sparkling performances in a stiffly theatrical work packed with moments of sly framing but few beautiful images.

21. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

One of a kind. Beautifully simple, yet powerful. Vibrant cinematography. Not a fan of the ending...

22. Ethan's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

This film is one of Fassbinder's greatest achievements. A true masterpiece that truly shows the agony of love and how society does not want to accept what it doesn't like or doesn't understand.

23. dordairobert's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

24. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Leads are wonderful in this tale of an elderly German woman finding love with a much younger Moroccan migrant, and writer-director Fassbinder uses this story to cast light on the work that it takes to maintain relationships, the ways in which people who love one another can still be very selfish, and the way in which racism and prejudice can filter through sections of society in so many different manifestations.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7