1. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Not my thing, even though colours are truly striking especially at the beginning before you get used to it. Some (long) shots very picturesque.

2. Superfrog's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

reasonably well done but the cross class boundary romance really failed to pull me in.

3. tinderness's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Liebe, die an gesellschaftlichen Konventionen zu zerbrechen droht: wie rettungslos altmodisch scheint das in den Zeiten der Lebensabschnittsgefährten und Patchwork-Familien. Vielleicht ist der Film deshalb so fesselnd und wir versessen auf ein Happy End. Ja zu den Liebesfilmen, in altem wie im neuen Gewand. Leider viele falsche Untertitel: das ist ärgerlich im Gefühlstaumel.

4. riraru's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Deer god! Gefühlsbesoffenes, musiküberzuckertes Plädoyer für eine klassenlose Gesellschaft. Von einer Frau, die ihr Wirken auf die Umwelt wichtiger nimmt als ihre Gefühle. Selten wirkt es sentimental oder gar gekünstelt – das muss man erstmal schaffen!

5. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Very similar, and yet in so many other ways very different, to Magnificent Obsession, this is another wonderful film from Douglas Sirk that unabashedly ladles on the melodrama and works brilliantly because of it, with a lot of the hard work being done by Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman, selling the central characters and relationship. Beautiful and hugely enjoyable.

6. George Bradley's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

7. bulletproof isobel's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

great ..now I have to watch all the douglas sirk films

8. theminiwitch's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Just off from a rollercoaster of emotions after watching "All That Heaven Allows" for the very first time. But MUBI, you might need to revise your synopsis: an 8-year gap doesn't make the leading lady "considerably older" than her "handsome gardener". What a garderner, though!

9. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

They say it's a melodrama, but the gossiping village, crappy kids stuff is realistic. So much so that it's a horror film halfway in, and Mona is Nosferatu. Wyman, obviously incredible and expressive. I think Hudson's performance in MO was less stale than here. But it's a perfect package. Everything works. If only it had been half an hour longer.

10. GuyfromNewcastle's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

had myself a spectacular cry when the deer came into shot at the end... incredibly beautiful, life-affirming stuff.

11. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Great. Love, family, friendship, snobby society. And strong colours. And very tame deer. I want to live in an old mill house. With Rock Hudson and deer outside the window. Guess it's never going to happen. Hey ho. Watch the movie and dream on.

12. 'king Harold's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

It was a particularly soapy winter that year...

13. Bécot Georges's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Magnifique ! A voir et revoir !

14. LibertyCapz's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

(From what I've seen) Definitely the most enjoyable of Sirk's melodramas. Thumbs up from me

15. Margarida Patricio's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

"Cary, let's face it: you were ready for a love affair, but not for love" Truly wonderful <3

16. selinja's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

properly techni use of colour. this film filled my heart and makes me want to move into a mill.

17. Jurjen's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

I can’t even begin to describe how beautiful this is.

18. Roslyn's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Don't listen to your children and definitely don't listen to the snooty neighbours when you fall in love. Listen to your heart. And hope that it's all played out in lush gorgeous technicolor as it is here

19. Angel Alvarado Cabellos's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

"Drama, comedy, life's parade at your fingertips"

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

21. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Simply beautiful. One of the best melodramas in cinema history. The color is striking.

22. Tja's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Technicolor saturation is on 11 as are the melodramatic emotions between Thoreau inspired woodsman Ron Kirby (Rock Hudson) and prim widow Cary Scott (Jane Wyman). The music is from 1954's Magnificent Obsession via Liszt Liebestraum No. 2. & could have caused our heroine's undeclared hearing problem which results in Ron's temporary demise. But luckily she has nursing skills from her previous movie encounter with him.

23. Pango's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Beautiful. The care, cinematography and use of colour elevate this film above a regular soapy melodrama. It made me angry. It sucks being a woman in the 50's. I can see what inspired Fassbinder and Haynes, generation after generation.

24. Epinephrin's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Another melodrama with Wyman and Hudson. i liked it, it deals with one of the most dreadful human problems - the fear to be judged by the others. Rich poor, gay, lesbian crippled, everybody judges and sometimes this stops us doing what is best for us. Nice easy going film.

← Previous 1 3 4 5