1. SpacePirate's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

This is what Peyton Place couldve been, if filmed by Sirk. The colors are just beautiful, the cinematography engaging, and the characters practically covered in suds from the soapy melodrama. I think this is probably Sirk's career defining work, but I have still to check out Written on the Wind before making a definitive statement. A true highlight of 50's Hollywood. Essential. 5 stars

2. Landen Celano's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

For 89 minutes, nothing else matters in the world except the emotional inner journey of Cary, played exquisitely by Jane Wyman. One of the most perfectly executed films.

3. saltkin's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

It amazes me how contemporary this feels (perhaps because I've seen Haynes and Fassbinder before Sirk?) in spite of how dated the melodrama is on paper.

4. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

I came for Sirk and stayed for Jane Wyman's helmet hair. This movie's use of color by the way is INSANE -- astonishingly experimental filmmaking -- like an ecstatic, abstract expressionist oil field brought to life.

5. DenoResandono's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

At my first sight, ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS seems like an ordinary melodrama movie. To be honest there's nothing "wow" in its storytelling. After the movie ended, suddenly, I was thinking. Then, something just popped in my brain. ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS has something more complex than its ordinary look. It talks about some issues. From marriage, social-class, and family matters. Not to mention, that glorious Technicolor

6. alice's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Questo film dà un senso al Technicolor.

7. Log Lady's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

You know, although I'm not a fan of romantic (melo)dramas, there's something about Sirk that speaks to the deepest corners of my soul. Hudson's quiet charisma swirls all over this, but so do vastness of nature vs. confined interiors populated by petty human behavior, the masterful lighting, the colors that are so bright they feel like they're about to burn through the film...

8. Chearth's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

9. FISCHER's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Les mélodrames de Douglas Sirk sont à redécouvrir de toute urgence ! www.cinefiches.com

10. Myles's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

A gorgeous treatment of love under siege. Fuck those kids! And God, when they reveal her Christmas gift-- that shot of Agnes Moorehead boxed into the television screen-- it has to be one of my favorite moments in any Hollywood picture.

11. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Like all of Sirk's films, this is right up my alley. I'm surprised it took me this long to watch. The technicolor, music, performances, pacing, etc! You could see why Fassbinder and Haynes were all up on this. Also, I'm r*ck h**ard for Rock Hudson.

12. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

a beautifully shot melodrama but if you don't like good old fashioned hollywood classics with handsome actors and happy ends just skip it

13. Andy King's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

My God that palette, if I only could dream in Technicolor. Those rich reds and blue snow are the stars of the show. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it's because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away".

14. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

3.5. Kinda hokey, but entertaining

15. Joel's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

It's elegant and subversive and all that... I think these are the films I can understand why folks appreciate it so but just find a lack of depth for me to want to return to.

16. LauraPalmer's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Rewatched and re-loved. TOP film.

17. opandadodavid's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

18. EdieEmm's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Re-started it, the next day, intending only just to re-watch the opening scene again. 90 minutes later... Bless all you cinema studies folks, telling me about Sirk's mirrors and fades, while I'm borne along in a blissful technicolor daze, with orchestral swells, and all Jane Wyman's amazing coats. And the deer! Sigh... Gets as close to studio-era closure as I can tolerate (and no closer). And it sure is satisfying.

19. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Setting aside the use of color (it's gorgeous), there are a lot of great visual affectations on display here from the deer returning in winter to Rock Hudson's association with wood to (of course) the famous shot of Cary trapped inside the television set. Every one of the film's points comes through loud and clear, and its points are astonishing for a film made in the mid-50s. It's pretty wonderful all around.

20. marlonbrandodepressed's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

when can i marry this man and move into his mill? he's so handsome that i'm blushing

21. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

My review: https://letterboxd.com/dynamitefilms/film/all-that-heaven-allows/

22. Lars Åndheim's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

The whisper of the blood substitute and the pleading of the styrene bone marrow.

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows

Eisenhower's 1950s vision of a quaint patriarchal Christian middle-class Conservative America is subverted with subtle finesse by Sirk. Haynes' homage in 'Far From Heaven' owes much to Sirk's distinctive aesthetic and semantic signature. Underneath the sheen is a repressed soul aching to break free.

24. Diogo Monteiro's rating of the film All That Heaven Allows