1. spasmolytic's rating of the film Altered States

Trippy. Another one I've yet to finish.

2. hemachandra's rating of the film Altered States

Although I really liked the reflective concept and the articulate dialogue of the film, I couldn't help but feel Ken Russell, with his showbiz glitz, overdid the outlandish special effects sequences.

3. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Altered States

4. Mirela Dudaş's rating of the film Altered States

pfff! what an ending! apoi dacă-i musai... KEN RUSSELL: “Life is too short to make destructive films about people one doesn’t like. My films are meant to be constructive and illuminating.”

5. wiwitaek's rating of the film Altered States

For the shitty ending, sloppy characters and The Doors back song.

6. Emma's rating of the film Altered States

7. redux's rating of the film Altered States

A B-movie with excellent cinematic values. All those Carpenter flicks should have been directed by Russell.

8. Elise Stambul's rating of the film Altered States

Claque visuelle et sonore. Effets garantis

9. smndvdcl's rating of the film Altered States

Ken Russell's notoriety should be secondary to his talent. 'Altered States' is a provocative vision of the dangers of scientific genius - in a world where advancement takes precedent and the negligence of risk is a vital variable in the single-minded ambition of an innovator.

10. Criteriamor's rating of the film Altered States

What can I say that other reviewers haven't already said? Yes it's sort of like The Fly with a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey thrown in and leftover 70's psychedelia. My biggest problem with the film is how unlikeable and uninteresting the protagonists are.

11. Z's rating of the film Altered States

Ken Russell climaxes all over the mainstream psychological thriller with insane, inspired, hallucinatory, manic, schizophrenic, visual fireworks! Russell and Chayefsky get up to all kinds of original sin and monkey man shenanigans. The movie is so beyond the pale of good taste or refined aesthetics that it becomes a kind of pretentiously compelling, intellectual, orgiastic trip. Russell is a visually ravenous madman!

12. ermete polpette's rating of the film Altered States

13. Tudor Rachieru's rating of the film Altered States

14. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Altered States

1st hour is masterful, the rest is tonally mismatched due to unneeded violence and laden detours of f/x-heavy symbolism being favored over character development. Otherwise, it would be a perfected exhilarating study of the search for life's greatest riddle: its purpose. Unlike what some claim, there's an answer in the end-- it's simply love. And thus, it flips bleak conventions of the genre and time period around.

15. samba direito's rating of the film Altered States

16. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Altered States

17. Fabiha's rating of the film Altered States

"I was in that ultimate moment of terror that is the beginning of life. It is nothing. Simple, hideous nothing. The final truth is that there is no final Truth. Truth is what's transitory. It's human life that is real. The moment of terror is a real and living horror, living and growing within me now."

18. Blumes's rating of the film Altered States

"He's a fucking gorilla."

19. Eda's rating of the film Altered States

Bilim-kurgu kisvesinde başlayıp sona yaklaştıkça tırtlıyor.

20. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film Altered States

21. GIYGAS's rating of the film Altered States

William Hurt in an isolation tank sounds exactly like Jeffrey Tambor

22. Jim Fear's rating of the film Altered States

Memorable hell scene. Godflesh used it for the Streetcleaner cover art.

23. Log Lady's rating of the film Altered States

The ending kind of ruins it all, but the crazy montages were amazing and completely out there, and the evolution/biological transformation/degeneration/wtf aspect wasn't too shabby either. Russell seems to enjoy getting all mental with his films, which I appreciate.

24. Dignan's rating of the film Altered States

The synopsis is incorrect; Hurt is not a psychiatrist. The idea of altered states as a physical reality through accessing universal primordial memories is somewhat intriguing, but the film is pretty terrible.

← Previous 1 3 4