1. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Altered States

Was interesting when it was seemingly interested in western whites pathological obsession with the primitive but totally shot itself in the foot with making the primitive world a destructive force that can only be conquer by some kind of yuppy love. Bleh

2. Ioan Bănculescu's rating of the film Altered States

3. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Altered States

Russell’s religious symbolism is all cool, but I honestly don’t care about anyone in this movie except for baby Drew Barrymore and the elephants.

4. Adam GR's rating of the film Altered States

Can man have sex with God? Yes, but you have to take ayahuasca, go into a space tank, and turn into a monkey. Do I go to hell now for having seen this? Is there anything to understand about this movie? William Hurt’s beautiful, manic, slightly satanic debut.

5. Ethan's rating of the film Altered States

This is one intense and visually stunning film. Ken Russell takes us on an intense journey that you can't look away from no matter how much you would want to. William Hurt is nothing short of brilliant here too.

6. pumpkindraconis's rating of the film Altered States

Weirdest love story ever. Effects are insane

7. bartkl's rating of the film Altered States

Easily brushed off as unscientific mumbo jumbo, the intellectual explorations are pretty cool and offer quite the philosophical treat. There's plenty of other things to be doubtful about though, such as the extremity of reversion, first with the ape on the loose, and later at the end with that kind of pure energy shape. Meanwhile, the romance becomes cheesier, yet with some meaning somewhere too. Mixed feelings.

8. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Altered States

I mean...it's very Ken-Russell-does-sci-fi. At times it's so existential that it's nearly untouchable, and at others so overly dramatic that it's laughable. Overall it's decent for its genre; there was legitimate tension and a few scenes that made me jump or squirm. Also WOW William Hurt is so hot lol.

9. Bob's rating of the film Altered States

Great topics and uniqueness that combines scientifically driven screenplay with neuroticism and body horror make this an oddball of sci-fi/horror genre. Although it's intriguing piece to explore, it's too frantic at times. And the final result boils down to nonsensical conclusion that leaves the viewer betrayed - as if the entire story was just a tool for cheap resolve that goes against the characters and themes.

10. Trevor L. Charles's rating of the film Altered States

11. Balthaz21's rating of the film Altered States

12. Luca's rating of the film Altered States

what's wrong with u mubi users

13. spasmolytic's rating of the film Altered States

Trippy. Another one I've yet to finish.

14. hemachandra's rating of the film Altered States

Although I really liked the reflective concept and the articulate dialogue of the film, I couldn't help but feel Ken Russell, with his showbiz glitz, overdid the outlandish special effects sequences.

15. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Altered States

16. Mirela Dudaş's rating of the film Altered States

pfff! what an ending! apoi dacă-i musai... KEN RUSSELL: “Life is too short to make destructive films about people one doesn’t like. My films are meant to be constructive and illuminating.”

17. wiwitaek's rating of the film Altered States

For the shitty ending, sloppy characters and The Doors back song.

18. Emma's rating of the film Altered States

19. redux's rating of the film Altered States

A B-movie with excellent cinematic values. All those Carpenter flicks should have been directed by Russell.

20. Elise Stambul's rating of the film Altered States

Claque visuelle et sonore. Effets garantis

21. smndvdcl's rating of the film Altered States

Ken Russell's notoriety should be secondary to his talent. 'Altered States' is a provocative vision of the dangers of scientific genius - in a world where advancement takes precedent and the negligence of risk is a vital variable in the single-minded ambition of an innovator.

22. Criteriamor's rating of the film Altered States

What can I say that other reviewers haven't already said? Yes it's sort of like The Fly with a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey thrown in and leftover 70's psychedelia. My biggest problem with the film is how unlikeable and uninteresting the protagonists are.

23. Z's rating of the film Altered States

Ken Russell climaxes all over the mainstream psychological thriller with insane, inspired, hallucinatory, manic, schizophrenic, visual fireworks! Russell and Chayefsky get up to all kinds of original sin and monkey man shenanigans. The movie is so beyond the pale of good taste or refined aesthetics that it becomes a kind of pretentiously compelling, intellectual, orgiastic trip. Russell is a visually ravenous madman!

24. ermete polpette's rating of the film Altered States