1. lndah's rating of the film American Movie

Chris Smith never failed to find the right subject to be filmed. We need to be reminded that these kind of people do exist, they strive hard despite whatever may comes.

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film American Movie

The Great Gatsby for our times. Full-on humanity and shit tons of heart here on display. Mark and Mike rock! It's a sad state of affairs, though, how many people think this is a mockumentary. Can it be they can't recognize passionate sincerity because they have never seen it in person or felt it themselves?

3. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film American Movie

a great viewing experience, very funny, shows the bitter sweet hardships of aspiring filmmakers, only after you try and fail at a few projects you can really relate

4. st aga's rating of the film American Movie

"IT'S ALRIGHT, IT'S OKAY... UHH..." I kept forgetting this isn't a mockumentary as some of the key individuals featured look like exaggerated caricatures, but I have a feeling we all know an ~auteur of this kind. THERE'S SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR (this line stayed with me for years!).

5. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film American Movie

As far as an insight into what movie-making is all about, this might be the most telling I've seen. It's crushing to see these people’s failures, and therefore all the more uplifting to see their successes. Mike Schank, despite being in a documentary, wins the honorable mention prize in the film fest, just for being himself.

6. corycorycorycory's rating of the film American Movie

This was my moment in film where I first saw the otherside

7. James Mackin's rating of the film American Movie

This is a really heartwarming film about the American Dream.

8. Mark Commode's rating of the film American Movie

très mémorable, bad ass movie

9. antibody's rating of the film American Movie

10. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film American Movie

Not feeling the love for this one despite its reputation. At its most interesting in the segments which record the filmmaking in progress. The other material, focusing on the personal life of Mark and his family/network is repetitive and overlong. I'll give Chris Smith the benefit of the doubt in terms of his respect for his subject but in my book he comes very close to outright mockery.

11. Thomas's rating of the film American Movie

Curiously sweet and heartwarming film of hope, passion and unyielding optimism. Throughout the film's core runs a charming innocence, a strong sense of family values and genuine love between friends in this simple tale of a man doggedly chasing his American Dream. Held together by an interesting and fascinating group of characters.

12. raggiodisole's rating of the film American Movie

heartwarming, the indomitable spirit of the American Dream personified

13. JordanBrooks's rating of the film American Movie

you cant get drunk on peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco

14. Duncan's rating of the film American Movie

The first, my last, my everything.

15. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film American Movie

"...I’m checking my pockets for the acid, you know, ‘cause I was gonna drop my other three hits in the hospital, you know, then all of a sudden my ma walks in and she’s holding the bag of acid like this, you know, and I'm like damn, now I can’t drop it, you know, the rest of my acid, in the hospital...” Mike Schank. This film is honest, tender and so funny. Perfectly edited. "Making movies, it’s what he does”

16. HEATH ALEXANDER LINN's rating of the film American Movie

17. LUCY OB1's rating of the film American Movie

Heart warming and strangely inspiring. Love how he never gave up on his 'American Dream'. You can't help but find Mark and his misfit friend endearing and likeable. Check out their appearance on Family Guy after you watch the film too.

18. Federico Grazzini's rating of the film American Movie

19. Edlyn Maga's rating of the film American Movie

The most inspiring movie ever!

20. Stuart Metcalfe's rating of the film American Movie

21. Karen Delaney's rating of the film American Movie

I had to stop myself giving this 5 stars but I almost did. An interesting, intimate and endearing doc that feels like a spoof, except it isn't. The Spinal Tap of film making, but 4 REALZ.

22. DJSE's rating of the film American Movie

Whatever you do with your life, do it with love. This film is the best kind of funny, sometimes it wavers on the edge of pity, sadness, etc.. but none of it matters because they're so funny, and Mark and his friends and family are endearing to the max. Love this film. It's basically - BEAUTIFUL.

23. The Heff's rating of the film American Movie

Although described as 'real life' this is obviously a mocumentary, and a very well done one at that. ..believable and not at the same time...worth a watch though.

24. Ivo Consi's rating of the film American Movie