1. Bilouaustria's rating of the film American Pastoral

It is oh so academic. I must admit that the novel is complicated to adapt for the screen but the screenplay is dull. Why would you want so much to adapt this book, cut half of it to make it easier for the stupid public to digest and then apply all the boring rules to make it the less complex and the less imaginative ? What is the big idea ? Mc Gregor seems to think that a great film = great cinematography.

2. smndvdcl's rating of the film American Pastoral

An impressive directorial debut from Ewan McGregor who grapples with weighty material from the luminary, Philip Roth, and comes out with his adaptive credibility intact.

3. RumbleFish's rating of the film American Pastoral

Quando ad una festa t'attaccano la regina delle pezze

4. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film American Pastoral

5. Mark Tallo's rating of the film American Pastoral

Read the book and then enjoy this. It will remind you of how good the book was. Then read the book again. Hopefully you will then move on to all later Zuckerman books. This was Roth at his best.

6. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film American Pastoral

I'm not sure why Critics hated this! Should it have been a miniseries to do justice to all the ideas a novel tries to tackle? I thought McGregor's self-directed performance was amazing even if the screenplay felt jam packed with incident. Nonetheless, I liked it better than most of the social justice minded films that courted Oscar this season.

7. Andrei Burcea's rating of the film American Pastoral

8. DSPRKY's rating of the film American Pastoral

It's hard to get Roth right, and although I don't think this film does him justice, it's not a half-bad effort from McGregor. Let's be honest, I can think of more than a few directors who would have fared far worse.

9. Margot H's rating of the film American Pastoral

10. MarianneRenoir's rating of the film American Pastoral

Sorry Ewan, but terrible old-age makeup ruined it for me.

11. Viginti_tres's rating of the film American Pastoral

Whereas last year's other Roth adaptation sung in its extended sequences where it let its world stretch, this plays like a cartoon doodled on the bottom corner of the book, the director spraying the scenes like you would flip the pages. That Ewan directs himself as the lead is problematic. It means the character is never condemned, so we are made to side with him in his struggle not to fuck his daughter.

12. bitterMoo's rating of the film American Pastoral

13. FCC 86's rating of the film American Pastoral

"Life is just a short period of time in which you are alive"

14. Jake Davis's rating of the film American Pastoral

"You come at people with an open mind, and yet you never fail to get them wrong. You get them wrong while you're with them, or you tell someone about them and get them wrong again. That's how we know we're alive. We are wrong."

15. Broos Claerhout's rating of the film American Pastoral

It's not a bad movie. The story is good, Ewan McGregor and Dakota Fanning try hard to be (the stuttering was fantastic). It's not a 'must see', but I wouldn't discourage people telling me they'd like to watch it.

16. amysimpson's rating of the film American Pastoral

17. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film American Pastoral

18. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film American Pastoral

19. Isabel Ferreira's rating of the film American Pastoral

20. rado's rating of the film American Pastoral

It's OK, but it's not "Waking the Dead".

21. Fabio Di Felice's rating of the film American Pastoral

il risultato è decisamente di altra pasta rispetto al libro: appiattito e spuntato, sottolineato dalle musiche di un Desplat mai così retorico è banale. L'adattamento cinematografico del buon Ewan è superficiale al punto da rimaneggiare del tutto il finale, trasformando la sottolineatura perfetta di questa odissea fatalista nel classico discorso retorico da film per tutti.