1. Matthew Hunter's rating of the film American Teen

Try to watch this film believing it's a documentary. I would forgive Burstein if the she said it was just film fiction but if you're aware of how it's been shot, it's far too set-up.

2. girlsonvhs's rating of the film American Teen

this probably isn't a real documentary blah, blah, blah, but if they wanted it to be seen as a documentary, why do they have real actors on the film poster? I swear the dimple guy from chronicle is on there. I still want to see it.

3. uzaigaijin's rating of the film American Teen

Interviews are shallow, intimate footage looks fake, animations are ugly, and the teens Nanette Burstein follows are real stereotypes. I feel I've learnt more about american teenagers watching TV dramas and MTV reality shows... This documentary is pretty disappointing. Not even one star for this.

4. tiagovitoria's rating of the film American Teen

Maybe a little bit artificial and shifty, however it turns to be a portrait of different kind of students who fell into doubts, fears and natural obstacles; the documentary tries to capture all of those moments showing how adversities can be overtaken. We can find some good ideas here and there but overall it's a simple and unpretentious doc about youth. OST is good though.

5. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film American Teen

Easily the phoniest documentary I've ever seen, so staged and fabricated, it's a travesty to call it non-fiction cinema. And it's not even faked well. It's as if the filmmakers tried to find the most stereotypical teenagers in America, then shoved them through the most obvious melodrama imaginable, all told with a Baby Boomer's understanding of modern teen culture and social networking technology. An embarrassment.

6. Kamran's rating of the film American Teen

somewhat realistic content seems phony because of excessive dramatization. admirable intentions. 3/5

7. Fidel Antonio Medel's rating of the film American Teen

A docu-drama, shot “The Hills” style, featuring the queen bee, the jock, the super geek, the lady misfit, and a bunch of high school seniors in Indiana. It makes us reminisce our pre-adolescent ambitions, acne, raging hormones, first love, and first heartbreak. www.pixelatedpopcorn.blogspot.com

8. Brandon Isaacson's rating of the film American Teen

This definitely has some moments of poignancy and it's a a semi-accurate portrayal of high school but it feels too fake. There's no possible way to do this type of documentary without secret cameras in pens or something ridiculous. I'm sorry it just doesn't feel real but it DOES have phenomenal moments of real emotion. I love the animations

9. Polyglot's rating of the film American Teen

Makes The Hills look like Gimme Shelter. Ridiculous.